AVATAR land construction progress

lobelia

What if, maybe, in the land itself...from the main entrance and Africa you can see these stick mountains swaying back and forth as if...they were floating! Trust me..no Sticks seen in park. The farthest Stick Mountain will only be barely seen coming from Africa

They will look fine.
That's what it looks like to me. They would have to sway with that mass in the air like that. It looks like there are tripod stands that can be moved as needed to protect the rock from swinging too much in the air if the wind speed is too high. Maybe I'm just hopeful it will provide a kinetic environment to the show.

Edit: further thought. What if they rotate rather than swing like a wind vane with big round rocks. I'm not sure the aesthetics would be as good though. I think I'll reserve judgment until I can see it in person. In theory, if the rocks moved it would be very cool.

Last edited:

Monorail_Red_77

I actually think they'll just be on poles. From as far back as the guest will
Be, they most likely won't know there was anything there.
Theses mountains on sticks you speak of have YETI written all over them.... Great expense to make theses mountains, yet guests will not have any clear sightlines to them while in the land.

Who knows for sure yet. but just sayin', I wouldn't be surprised either.

Monorail_Red_77

They look horrendous from the parking lot though. If the effect is ruined before you even get into the park I think that's a cause for concern. Hopefully rock work is something is going to be done about that offensive sightline soon

Maybe they will pass out special blinders at the AK Toll Plaza that block out your peripheral vision. For an upcharge of course. ;)

Kamikaze

Yes and it looks like garbage too, further proving the point he's trying to make....

No, it doesn't further prove his point. While it does look bad, it doesn't effect your views on how great the land is once you enter the park.

Again Disneyland different stuff they have to work with over there one being that there is a city around their park.

Doesn't really matter. You can get into areas both inside and outside of all 6 domestic parks that will give you angles you are not supposed to see that can 'ruin the magic'. This land isn't even done yet. Lets wait until its finished before we lose our minds about how it looks from the GD parking lot. If you want to complain about bad show, do it about something thats actually on stage and completed.

Kamikaze

Okay sure.
giphy.gif

Well thought out and reasoned response, sir. I have thus been swayed by your great opinion on the matter and how see how I was incorrect and you were, in fact, correct. Thank you for helping me see the error of my ways.

KingOfEpicocity

No, it doesn't further prove his point. While it does look bad, it doesn't effect your views on how great the land is once you enter the park.

Doesn't really matter. You can get into areas both inside and outside of all 6 domestic parks that will give you angles you are not supposed to see that can 'ruin the magic'. This land isn't even done yet. Lets wait until its finished before we lose our minds about how it looks from the GD parking lot. If you want to complain about bad show, do it about something thats actually on stage and completed.
The whole idea behind Disney parks is suspending your knowledge of the inter workings. You can always just see it as a show building. But when you're in the park, the illusion is created that allows for your brain to forget it's just a show building. So it's fine to have it exposed outside the park. However inside the park? That's unacceptable.

Kamikaze

The whole idea behind Disney parks is suspending your knowledge of the inter workings. You can always just see it as a show building. But when you're in the park, the illusion is created that allows for your brain to forget it's just a show building. So it's fine to have it exposed outside the park. However inside the park? That's unacceptable.

We have no idea how its going to look either inside or outside the park currently, and the photo he is daring to be sour about is from outside the park.

Is the crane in front of the castle twice a year unacceptable?
Is the original Soarin building unacceptable?

The crane especially is worse than this photo, even if this is how it stays forever, since this is from the parking lot.
Being unacceptable would mean you don't accept it at all, and thus do not attend the parks. Is this true?

KingOfEpicocity

We have no idea how its going to look either inside or outside the park currently, and the photo he is daring to be sour about is from outside the park.

Is the crane in front of the castle twice a year unacceptable?
Is the original Soarin building unacceptable?

The crane especially is worse than this photo, even if this is how it stays forever, since this is from the parking lot.
Being unacceptable would mean you don't accept it at all, and thus do not attend the parks. Is this true?

You know I'm on your side? I'm saying that it's okay to have exposed show buildings from outside the park as long as the illusion is kept in tact inside the park. Places like dragon alley that have exposed show buildings INSIDE the park are unacceptable to me.

No Name

Is this your standard only for WDW, or for DL as well?

Great question. Yes, it is my standard for DL as well. Now before you go pull up a picture of the back of Cars land, let me say that I do not like that. I think it is far, far too revealing, and the whole thing would be better off covered by a giant ad for the park. Have a picture (I was thinking more an illustration) of Cars land on that ad that utilizes the actual mountain spikes. People would just think it's a creatively shaped ad and it would block the view of the back.

So while the DL resort is limited in space, there are always ways for them to hide backstage sights, it just takes a slight bit of extra money. Basically, I don't think space is much of an excuse, and they should be held to the same standard as they are at Walt Disney World.

I'm saying that it's okay to have exposed show buildings from outside the park as long as the illusion is kept in tact inside the park.

But the illusion once inside of the park is ruined by seeing something from outside of the park. It's not my opinion. It's just true, it's a fact. Does your mind suddenly erase what you saw on the main road once you enter the park? No.

That seems to be the tough concept to grasp...

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Great question. Yes, it is my standard for DL as well. Now before you go pull up a picture of the back of Cars land, let me say that I do not like that. I think it is far, far too revealing, and the whole thing would be better off covered by a giant ad for the park. Have a picture (I was thinking more an illustration) of Cars land on that ad that utilizes the actual mountain spikes. People would just think it's a creatively shaped ad and it would block the view of the back.

So while the DL resort is limited in space, there are always ways for them to hide backstage sights, it just takes a slight bit of extra money. Basically, I don't think space is much of an excuse, and they should be held to the same standard as they are at Walt Disney World.

But the illusion once inside of the park is ruined by seeing something from outside of the park. It's not my opinion. It's just true, it's a fact. Does your mind suddenly erase what you saw on the main road once you enter the park? No.

That seems to be the tough concept to grasp...

Honestly I think it is up to each individual... I worked at the Magic Kingdom, have seen all up and down backstage.. but when I am in the park I don't think about any of the things I have seen... I am fully immersed, and honestly it is like it has been erased from my mind. I have seen the Indiana Jones show building at Disneyland, didn't ruin anything... All I see is the temple when I am in the park, I don't even think of it.

I just don't know. Some people may have a harder time suspending disbelief and fully just living in the moment.. But I do not. Everyone realizes that all these rides are essentially in giant warehouses..

Jakesky40

Maybeeeee they have created huge bags of helium in the rocks on sticks and they will turn the sticks into vines or waterfalls or something like that and actually float ;) :):):):)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom