AVATAR land construction progress

articos

Here is an example of how it's done. This is Universal Studios Hollywood Hogsmeade
View attachment 97899
This is a good look at how it goes from steel structure to mesh to plaster. Amazing it looks like rocks but its all hollow. There are also some really cool pics out there of the rock work on the new Kong attraction at USO. I'll try to find them this week. Such a team effort from the designers/engineers to all the different construction trades that come together to make all this come alive and look so real and immersive when finished.

Edit: Here is more pics from above.
There are a few different methods for creating realistic rock work. It can be anything underneath from rebar and mesh to fiberglas underlayment to foam. It's usually steel mesh though. All of this originally comes from the film & tv set design industry, who are absolute magicians in figuring all of this out.

Top40Bubba

I've lurked for a few years but am coming out of the weeds because I finally have something to contribute. I took these photos Wednesday on the bus heading into Animal Kingdom with my iPhone, so I apologize in advance for the lack of crispness and focus. As noted earlier in the thread the banshee building is starting to be enclosed. Very exciting to see steady progress on Pandora.

image.jpg
image.jpg

HauntedMansionFLA

I've lurked for a few years but am coming out of the weeds because I finally have something to contribute. I took these photos Wednesday on the bus heading into Animal Kingdom with my iPhone, so I apologize in advance for the lack of crispness and focus. As noted earlier in the thread the banshee building is starting to be enclosed. Very exciting to see steady progress on Pandora.

View attachment 98490 View attachment 98491
I'm really curious to see what that is off to the right - I'm assuming that's part of the boat ride. Nice pictures!

flyerjab

If we don't get overhead photos soon I am going to explode.

avatar-land-disney-world-james-cameron.jpg

Looking at this infamous photo, I wonder how much of what we see here still holds true. There must be a few elements that you just can't see here. When you are standing back at the gate behind The Rain Forest Cafe and are gawking at the main floating mountain structure that is painfully visible, off to the left is that other metal frame that has been steadily rising. I have not seen anything officially released from Disney that would indicate what it is. Also, I would love to get a clearer understanding of the boat ride area. There just looks to be a large structure in the pictures from @Top40Bubba (love that forum name by the way) off to the left that gives me hope that the boat ride could be large than some have alluded to.

Ugh! I am seriously hoping that we have passed by the 2 year window for the opening of this expansion. This is killing me.

P_Radden

Couldnt sleep much last night with all the news this week and construction excitement going on

465341.jpg

And I get up to see these pics this morning! Awesome!

I really hope they theme the hell out of that big wall. That building looks HUGE!!

P_Radden

Some of what you are seeing to the right is an extension of the banshee ride show building that will contain utility rooms and such. In front of that will be part of the boat ride.

Leaked_Disney_Animal_Kingdom_Avatar_Plans_021.png
Are there any other parts to this drawing or other pages form the plan set you can share?

Pirouline

What ride is going in that?

WED Purist

Check out this video about how Everest was built. Around 14:40 they explain the rockwork process...

The thing I love about videos like this are all of the Imagineers that no one knows about. Anyone can spot Joe, but there are at least a dozen of the most amazing sculptors, landscape architects, painters, etc. in the world on here that you have never heard of. I think people often forget about the other 139 disciplines in Imagineering sometimes.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
The thing I love about videos like this are all of the Imagineers that no one knows about. Anyone can spot Joe, but there are at least a dozen of the most amazing sculptors, landscape architects, painters, etc. in the world on here that you have never heard of. I think people often forget about the other 139 disciplines in Imagineering sometimes.

139? You do realize those numbers are just that, numbers. I don't think anyone really knows how many different disciplines there are anymore.

and yet not one could figure out how to repair a broke yeti

It's not that they can't fix it, but they have two problems time and money. Both are things that WDI has not been granted to do the job

P_Radden

It has been my understanding that there has also been quite a bit of buck passing about who gets the bill, Imagineering or park operations.

Split the costs 50/50 between divisions. Heck, we as guests don't care who picks up the tab, just GET IT FIXED already. This corporate in-house bickering is disgusting! TDO should be ashamed of themselves letting something simple like this become such an issue.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Split the costs 50/50 between divisions. Heck, we as guests don't care who picks up the tab, just GET IT FIXED already. This corporate in-house bickering is disgusting! TDO should be ashamed of themselves letting something simple like this become such an issue.

If this is the case I don't disagree but let's not forget they spent more on the Yeti than many parks spend on an entire attraction. So I'm sure the repair costs are also sky high... Still want it fixed though... :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom