AVATAR land construction progress

twebber55

bioreconstruct-2016-06-05-3-jpg.144966

curious if these mtns will move

ToTBellHop

Every guest who drives into Animal Kingdom sees the avatar show building and the rocks on a stick. You see it on the curve on the way to the parking lot it's not backstage access. The reason I give Disneyland a pass is that for backstage and access there has to be some sort of entry way somewhere. Granted they could do better sure. But again when you have the "Blessing of Size" and tons of expansion pads and places to hide critical show elements why would you do anything but. Rocks on the sticks kills the illusion of anything floating.
07-15-13-IMG_5333.jpg

This ^ is nowhere near as bad as this
Turns out $1bn wasn't enough to invent artificial gravity, even with a half dozen WDI research trips.

s8film40

I said this a while back, but I feel like they really missed an opportunity here. They could have made hollow foam mountains filled with helium that would have actually floated. They would gently drift back and forth in the wind, and a simple winch system at the base could lower and raise them slowly as well as bring them down in inclement weather.

flyerjab

curious if these mtns will move
The only thing that I can add to this discussion is that I was just there 2 weeks ago. We went to DAK via the Disney bus route. The pictures on this site make these mountains look way worse because these pictures are close up. At least to me, the distance that we were from the the main show building driving in, they are significantly smaller than how they appear in these photos. In fact, it actually surprised me how tiny they looked after seeing the photos on this site for so long. I was expecting rather large 'floating' mountains on these large poles and that is not how it looks when you are actually there. At least to me.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I said this a while back, but I feel like they really missed an opportunity here. They could have made hollow foam mountains filled with helium that would have actually floated. They would gently drift back and forth in the wind, and a simple winch system at the base could lower and raise them slowly as well as bring them down in inclement weather.
I doubt helium has enough lift for something like that. 1000 cubic feet of helium will only lift a little less than 66 lbs. Expansion foam weighs about 2 lbs per cubic foot.

You could make a mountain shaped balloon, but that is about it. It would not surprise me if they tried the balloon idea during R&D and found the effect wanting.

s8film40

I doubt helium has enough lift for something like that. 1000 cubic feet of helium will only lift a little less than 66 lbs. Expansion foam weighs about 2 lbs per cubic foot.

You could make a mountain shaped balloon, but that is about it. It would not surprise me if they tried the balloon idea during R&D and found the effect wanting.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I guess what I'm describing is something large enough to give it enough lift and very thin foam walls just enough so it can have a texture. There are all kinds of crazy shaped balloons, I think they just need one with a tiny touch of texture. The effect they are currently using is most definitely "wanting", so I'm not so sure they did too much R&D.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I guess what I'm describing is something large enough to give it enough lift and very thin foam walls just enough so it can have a texture. There are all kinds of crazy shaped balloons, I think they just need one with a tiny touch of texture. The effect they are currently using is most definitely "wanting", so I'm not so sure they did too much R&D.
We are also assuming that this is a finished effect. It very well might not be.

twebber55

The only thing that I can add to this discussion is that I was just there 2 weeks ago. We went to DAK via the Disney bus route. The pictures on this site make these mountains look way worse because these pictures are close up. At least to me, the distance that we were from the the main show building driving in, they are significantly smaller than how they appear in these photos. In fact, it actually surprised me how tiny they looked after seeing the photos on this site for so long. I was expecting rather large 'floating' mountains on these large poles and that is not how it looks when you are actually there. At least to me.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this is from a zoomed in camera we wont see them like this

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why wouldn't it be the same thing, you had said that it ruins the illusion why would that be any different?

If the argument is that Disneyland Anaheim is in the middle of a city then it should even be if bigger priority to try and hide as much as they can.

If we are going to argue the loss of Emersion that we can not give one Disney park a pass and not the other.

Either way, does anyone even know exactly from what angle that picture was taken? What percentage of the guests will see it? And from what it looks like there is a large berm of trees that are are growing.

If you are seeing the back of Carsland you are already outside the "Disney Bubble" so themeing the back doesn't really make a difference.

If you are seeing this...

upload_2016-6-21_10-11-40.png

and then you turn around you will see this...

upload_2016-6-21_10-12-19.png

twebber55

Can we stop jumping to conclusions about how terrible things that aren't finished will be?

That strategy apparently worked so well in the Frozen threads.

In the same vein, overhyping has bad consequences as well.
i think over hyping wont be an issue here for this project and im actually glad its getting under hyped
i do think its the one problem with Diagon Alley and specifically Gringotts
People talked as if its the greatest thing ever and then it wasn't (even though its very good)

HouseHacker97

theres still a year left to finish this project... can everyone stop bashing this? did you (the only person who will be intensively inspecting the rocks) actually believe they are floating?

1) you can't even tell It's avatar from the distance from the parking lot unless you zoom in with your hyper lens camera
2) your child who is young enough to believe they actually float won't even notice let alone recognize that the rocks are from the avatar section of the park until you complain in front of them and ruin it for your whole family
3) this (at its current incomplete state) is far less noticeable than other projects that may also "ruin the magic" for your adult mind

VulcanCafe

Can we stop jumping to conclusions about how terrible things that aren't finished will be?

I agree with you, no reason to panic.

All credit to @flyerjab but this image is a great example of what you are going to see of the 'flying mountains.' Its going to be forced perspective and you won't see much of the poles, just some vines hanging down, until they are obscured by another object, rock face, etc.
image-jpeg.145482

(photo: @flyerjab)

danlb_2000

Premium Member

You have been around here long enough to know that there is no point saying this. People will always pre-judge and there is no way to stop that. People were judging this land from the day the agreement was announced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom