AVATAR land construction progress

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Looks like the tower cranes are being used to lift the mesh "chips" that make up the base of the rockwork. I assume this one is going over to the rockwork on the show building since it looks like the floating mountains are past this point in construction.

upload_2016-1-23_7-19-57.png

RSoxNo1

Tim any thoughts on the DAK expansion in particular ROL and avatar after seeing it today?

I'm not convinced that Rivers of Light's seating area will look good during the day, but pretty much everything else they've done to Discovery Island and Harambe looks excellent. I love the new color scheme of Discovery Island.

I asked a few questions of additional timing of things, these answers were from a front line cast member so take them with a grain of salt:
  • The Okapis sleep 5 minutes a day and they're testing having them be able to move from their Pangani Forest exhibit to the Kilimanjaro Safaris exhibit, in theory giving them a bit more free range as an animal that would be out longer due to Nighttime Safaris
  • Nighttime Safaris are expected to debut in April.
  • The fence issues around the new hyena/wild dog exhibit should be addressed
  • The hyena/wild dogs aren't on a set schedule yet.

Looks like the tower cranes are being used to lift the mesh "chips" that make up the base of the rockwork. I assume this one is going over to the rockwork on the show building since it looks like the floating mountains are past this point in construction.

View attachment 127423
They were moving quite a few pieces of those wire mesh chips today. I really think it's possible that this land looks to be finished by the end of this year and is actually open in early 2017.

Mike S

I'm not convinced that Rivers of Light's seating area will look good during the day, but pretty much everything else they've done to Discovery Island and Harambe looks excellent. I love the new color scheme of Discovery Island.

I asked a few questions of additional timing of things, these answers were from a front line cast member so take them with a grain of salt:
  • The Okapis sleep 5 minutes a day and they're testing having them be able to move from their Pangani Forest exhibit to the Kilimanjaro Safaris exhibit, in theory giving them a bit more free range as an animal that would be out longer due to Nighttime Safaris
  • Nighttime Safaris are expected to debut in April.
  • The fence issues around the new hyena/wild dog exhibit should be addressed
  • The hyena/wild dogs aren't on a set schedule yet.

They were moving quite a few pieces of those wire mesh chips today. I really think it's possible that this land looks to be finished by the end of this year and is actually open in early 2017.
Only 5 minutes of sleep?!?!?! o_O

HouseHacker97

However, what really caught my eye (even if it doesn't show up especially well in the photo) is the faux tree branch connected to the steel framework in the center of the photo. A series of navy blue strings/wires were hanging from its branches like willow tree, and those held a bunch of opaque white teardrop-shaped nodes. They were about the size of the end of your thumb, spaced roughly 5" apart on the strands. I assume this is some sort of test for the glowing plants, since the nodes appeared similar to LED enclosures I've seen in toys and in permanent installations like the Freemont Street Experience in Vegas and on Mickey's Fun Wheel in DCA

Does anything besides what was described here indicate a possible Tree of Souls? It wasn't included in any of the concept art or models, but it would be incredible to see in the park

A foolish mortal

Or maybe they'll swap out Tree of Life for Tree of Souls?

Nah.. they already have a special tree... dont expect it to be a part of the land. But in the boat ride i could agree on :D

flyerjab

Thank you for the pictures. I like the look of picture #1. The ground mountains are starting to take nice shape by the floating mountain. Are the yellow steel beams going to be vines that connect the two mountains? Looking good at. DAK!

That is a correct assumption. All of the yellow curved beams will ultimately be themed as vines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom