AVATAR land construction progress

DinoInstitute

Not too much, but thought I might as well share a few photos:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyerjab

Wow! The photos from Everest reveal the current mid-section they are working on of the arch is a lot further away than the close ups have implied. No wonder I was having such trouble conceptualizing the vantage point from the entrance.

I'm now certain with the appearance of the new ridge at the 1ish minute mark that we are indeed getting this view as well.

1Avatar_1.jpg

Well... at least if D23 ends up being a total bust, this sub-forum has things to talk about.

I'm now stupidly excited for this whole project.

I love the term stupidly excited. I pretty much have fallen into that category since day one. I have said from the beginning that this expansion is the dark horse candidate with all of the work that has happened (NFL), is happening, and will be happening in WDW. It is slightly more unconventional in that it is not their property, they are partnering with Cameron (a known perfectionist who does not settle for status quo), and that it is being placed in DAK.

I think that once more is released, and the floating mountains continue to become more visible as they are constructed, the interest for this is going to increase dramatically. This has gone from an addition with a simple Soarin' clone and a C-ticket on again/off again boat ride, to a thrilling simulator experience with 6 directions of motion and a boat ride that is now being touted as a true D-ticket similar to the WDW pirates ride. And the land itself should be a one of a kind experience that I am placing now on the level of theming you see at TDS.

ToTBellHop

A few reasons. Budget, capacity and the thought was the two are so close via parking lot, it would take longer to take a train than it would to just drive over and park or take a resort bus.
Couldn't the same be said for most of the boat transportation offered, though? It's a shame for AKL, but nothing's going to change now.

ToTBellHop

I love the term stupidly excited. I pretty much have fallen into that category since day one. I have said from the beginning that this expansion is the dark horse candidate with all of the work that has happened (NFL), is happening, and will be happening in WDW. It is slightly more unconventional in that it is not their property, they are partnering with Cameron (a known perfectionist who does not settle for status quo), and that it is being placed in DAK.

I think that once more is released, and the floating mountains continue to become more visible as they are constructed, the interest for this is going to increase dramatically. This has gone from an addition with a simple Soarin' clone and a C-ticket on again/off again boat ride, to a thrilling simulator experience with 6 directions of motion and a boat ride that is now being touted as a true D-ticket similar to the WDW pirates ride. And the land itself should be a one of a kind experience that I am placing now on the level of theming you see at TDS.
I would find this more clear if it were possible for the boat ride to be a "true D-ticket like Pirates." You can't be a true D-ticket like Pirates because Pirates isn't a true D-ticket. Maelstrom would be a D-ticket boat ride. And Rohde worked on that one...

flyerjab

Photo update as of Thursday, Aug 6. Note the two men on the lift in the center of the photo, to give scale to the size of the mountains.

View attachment 104552

This mountain that they are currently starting to build is really going to start turning some heads towards this construction. I think that it will really start to demonstrate the extent that WDI is going to make it feel like you have entered that world.

twebber55

Wow! The photos from Everest reveal the current mid-section they are working on of the arch is a lot further away than the close ups have implied. No wonder I was having such trouble conceptualizing the vantage point from the entrance.

I'm now certain with the appearance of the new ridge at the 1ish minute mark that we are indeed getting this view as well.

1Avatar_1.jpg

Well... at least if D23 ends up being a total bust, this sub-forum has things to talk about.

I'm now stupidly excited for this whole project.
asking this because I like your opinions...do you think this new mountain is the 2nd/middle mountain or the third mountain which would be on the right?

jt04

What did he say? And why did he leave?

Truth is not always appreciated around here and he apparently got tired of the grief.

Censorship is real and marked by the intolerant, who constantly demand others use the ignore feature. :rolleyes:

This, however, does not keep the overwhelming number of people visiting from being able to read all comments.

I shall call these 'free thinkers'. :cool:

BrianLo

asking this because I like your opinions...do you think this new mountain is the 2nd/middle mountain or the third mountain which would be on the right?

The second mountain. I'm not altogether sure that third one actually exists or is some artist flare. If it does - it appears to extend off the show building itself.

The two that we see however should both have waterfall features as depicted, the cement basins were put in very early in the site preparation.

I'm fairly certain the rock arches in the distance are indeed going in as well, they will be on top of the show building and will use some forced perspective (hopefully more successfully than Beast's Castle). I think the steel for this can already be seen.

I'm wondering if all of the little appendages will be mostly pre-done off site and stuck on late in the project, in which case I think that third one if it happens would appear at that stage.

DisneyRoy

I would find this more clear if it were possible for the boat ride to be a "true D-ticket like Pirates." You can't be a true D-ticket like Pirates because Pirates isn't a true D-ticket. Maelstrom would be a D-ticket boat ride. And Rohde worked on that one...

Just keep in mind that a lot of these "tickets" are in the mind of the beholder.

I would agree with you that Pirates is not a true D-ticket because with the extensive theming on this ride and the length, I would give it an E-ticket. And Maelstrom...well let's just say that I'm glad it's getting rethemed. Because I thought that B-ticket at best was tired.

Not popular opinions I'm sure, but they are my opinions. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom