AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

misterID

I liked everything you said right up until the end. Any movie with a crazy hot alien chick who is naked a lot works for me. I'm not saying its grounds for making a theme park land around it, but if it's on cable I'll probably leave it on.

That's why I said I liked the first one ;)

I dont understand why people get offended that humans were bad guys!? It wasnt the whole human race! Just those on pandora!!!!! Jeeez get over it!

They're offended because the movie is racist against humans! We can only like films where the aliens are bad guys like in Avengers, where they showed up for no reason randomly, but it still has a good plot because.... Iron Man!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, yeah. The MOVIE is lame. Pandora itself is a good concept.

Assuming they execute this properly... Actually scratch that, I'm not assuming anything... IF they execute this properly, by toning down the plot and focusing on the flora and fauna of Pandora, it'll work out fine for AK.

I'm in the 2%. My wife wants to know why I'm rubbing my nose on the IPad.;)

I really did like the post too.

MerlinTheGoat

Movie makes billions of dollars due people going back to see it four times because the audience loved it so much.

Movie becomes the most successful film of all time.

Movie breaks home video records.

Movie receives multiple academy awards.

Movie receives near universal praise from all film critics.

Audiences loved the eye candy, 3D and other technical achievements. Though that alone is enough to attract people who don't care about having a good plot. But breaking records doesn't always mean it's a good movie from a story, character or acting perspective. Popularity or lack thereof is not always a good judge for the core objective qualities of something (Toy Story Mania is a good example in fact). No one is denying it's got a lovely world with impressive technology used to convey it. But enough to carry a poor plot? Financially perhaps (something i'm sure many film makers are happy about). But when you get down the the more core objective qualities of what makes a great film (and disregard explosions and eye candy), not really. And I don't want film makers to follow the path of overhyping the importance of technical achievement over a good story.

The academy awards it won were also for art direction, cinematography and visual effects. It lost everything else (with good reason, though it was a mockery to even be nominated for best picture, directing etc). It would have been absurd if it hadn't won the technical awards, no other movies could even hope to compete. And it absolutely deserved to win those. But none of those categories are remotely as important as best picture, acting, story directing etc. Strip away its visuals and technical achievements, you're left with a decidedly average to mediocre (some people would argue fairly a bad) movie. The awe of advanced CGI and other technical awards can fade with time as new achievements are made (it's one reason why theme parks need to be constantly kept up to date to avoid becoming stale, they thrive on their technical achievements). But a good story, characters and directing can potentially last forever and still be considered jaw dropping and amazing 50-100 years down the road.

And I say with no hesitation that had AVATAR not had the benefits of its amazing visuals and technical awards, it would not have received anywhere near the praise it got (nor would it have been the financial hit it was).

englanddg

One Little Spark...
They're offended because the movie is racist against humans! We can only like films where the aliens are bad guys like in Avengers, where they showed up for no reason randomly, but it still has a good plot because.... Iron Man!
The hate aliens...they are alienist! We should pass a law to prevent that!

FigmentJedi

Assuming they execute this properly... Actually scratch that, I'm not assuming anything... IF they execute this properly, by toning down the plot and focusing on the flora and fauna of Pandora, it'll work out fine for AK.
The animals aren't even that interesting alien designs. Six legged blue versions of Earth animals and some pterodactyls. Give me a Bantha or a Tauntaun any day.

Magenta Panther

That must have been why the Fantasy Land Expansion was a flop in regards to improving attendance in the park. You're so smart.

Yeah, it's such a flop that Be Our Guest is booked solid for months, and the new Storytime With Belle usually has between a 40-60 minute wait at the slowest times of the year. NFE wasn't the home run we all hoped it would be, but it's certainly not a flop by any means. And it actually involves DISNEY-generated characters, unlike Cameron's two-hour-plus Meow Mix commercial. :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The animals aren't even that interesting alien designs. Six legged blue versions of Earth animals and some pterodactyls. Give me a Bantha or a Tauntaun any day.

Star Wars has better creatures, but if they tried to build a Star Wars creature themed land at AK we would be hearing similar complaints about it not fitting into the park.

MerlinTheGoat

I agree with this. I may not be a huge fan of the movie, but I can at least see the merits in a well done AVATAR land if done the way you say.

I can see that, though I do like the alien designs personally. But it's the illuminated plant life that I really liked about Pandora. If they do this right, the land could be spectacularly beautiful at night.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I agree with this. I may not be a huge fan of the movie, but I can at least see the merits in a well done AVATAR land if done the way you say.

I can see that, though I do like the alien designs personally. But it's the illuminated plant life that I really liked about Pandora. If they do this right, the land could be spectacularly beautiful at night.

I don't think anyone wants Pandoraland or whatever they call it to fail.

They want it to succeed. But, being placed in AK...they are skeptical. This is the same land that was supposed to be an amazing adventure into another world, and failed on so many levels...

So, cut the disfans some slack...ok? They don't want it to fail, they just don't see it as a saving grace.

FigmentJedi

Star Wars has better creatures, but if they tried to build a Star Wars creature themed land at AK we would be hearing similar complaints about it not fitting into the park.
And really, both Star Wars and Avatar should just stay in the Studios anyway because Animal Kingdom should keep its focus on Earth creatures, Earth cultures, and a positive attitude towards how we can save the Earth rather then going "Welp, this planet's doomed, let's just go somewhere else".

englanddg

One Little Spark...
They're offended because it's more doom and gloom "humans are jerks" stuff

And really, both Star Wars and Avatar should just stay in the Studios anyway because Animal Kingdom should keep its focus on Earth creatures, Earth cultures, and a positive attitude towards how we can save the Earth rather then going "Welp, this planet's doomed, let's just go somewhere else".
Hear hear.

Remember, conservation messages are only preachy when James Cameron uses them and not Disney. I'm thinking like a real Disney nerd now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom