AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

AdventureHasAName

Umm ok...so the haunted mansion theme fits in with Liberty Square how?

American ghost stories originated in the late 1700s and early 1800s in this area of what had become the new country. An early example of this would be the Legend of Sleepy Hollow that was written in 1820 and took place in the southern end of the Hudson River Valley; an area dominated by Victorian Gothic architecture.

I wasn't in love with it, but I can acknowledge that there's a difference between:

1. A land focused on mythological Earth creatures that at one time people (living on Earth) believed also lived on the Earth, and
2. A land focused on a fictional planet that has nothing to do with Earth.

I still think the Beastly Kingdom concept could be made to work, but now they'd have to incorporate it in the park by adding single attraction to the other lands (like the Yeti in Asia) rather than having a singular BK land.

How about getting over it since Beastly Kingdom is never going to happen?

Last edited:

BaconPancakes

But would it kill em to occasionally increase the budget. And I mean increase it BIG TIME. Not just for overtures and unexpected costs but to create something so unfathomably unique and mind blowing that it will redefine the theme park industry as we know it. Rewrite the playbook. Imagine the final product being far superior to what the concept art looks like. Not the other way around.

Wasn't the budget for TLM bigger than HP? That right there worries me.

Except the last park at Walt Disney World committed to a strong and distinct vision that made it unique.

Yes, that's why they are building Avatar Land. It has a unique and strong vision. According to this thread, everyone loves Avatar Land. I guess if some people don't and still want to talk about a proposed expansion project that was canceled a decade a go, you can go to your local grocer and purchase Haterade to wash down your sour grapes.

Magenta Panther

Yes, that's why they are building Avatar Land. It has a unique and strong vision. According to this thread, everyone loves Avatar Land. I guess if some people don't and still want to talk about a proposed expansion project that was canceled a decade a go, you can go to your local grocer and purchase Haterade to wash down your sour grapes.

And you continue to imbibe your Kool-Aid. (Everyone loves Avatar Land. Hoo boy!)

CDavid

According to this thread, everyone loves Avatar Land.

You obviously haven't read the whole thread, because no, we most certainly do not.

Agree
We re getting an incredibly beautiful land while losing nothing

We're losing whatever ultimately might have come to Animal Kingdom if the Avatar project had never come along. Whether there were specific plans or not, the park would still need investment (and before 2017!).

BaconPancakes

Imagine all of the new attractions that Universal will have created by 2017. At least we WDW fans have our magicband technology to tide us over in the meantime.

Magenta Panther

I think the timing of this is interesting. Let's see...this "land" is supposed to open in 2017? And when is Robert Iger scheduled to leave Disney? Oh yeah. 2016...

I think this carefully buried announcement is meant to merely allow Iger to save face over his ill-conceived, wrong-headed project. And I think that on that happy, happy day that he leaves Disney, this project will be quietly shelved. :D

BaconPancakes

And I think that on that happy, happy day that he leaves Disney, this project will be quietly shelved. :D

As much as I hate Avatar, I hope that it doesn't get shelved. DAK desperately needs something like this at this point, not to mention the nighttime elements look promising. I just hope they create something with actual substance this time, I'm looking at you FLE.

Magenta Panther

As much as I hate Avatar, I hope that it doesn't get shelved. DAK desperately needs something like this at this point, not to mention the nighttime elements look promising. I just hope they create something with actual substance this time, I'm looking at you FLE.

FLE has more substance than anything based on Cameron's preachy snoozefest could ever have. It features characters people love and remember, and stories that have stood the test of time. Avatar has none of that. I'd take Dumbo's Circus over Cameron's kitty carnival any day.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
2678836074_8a12e93e32.jpg
The backside of Everest, I presume.
Having taken the KTTK tour, I can tell you this looks better than the backside of Splash.

MerlinTheGoat

The backside of Everest, I presume.
Having taken the KTTK tour, I can tell you this looks better than the backside of Splash.
With the exception of tours like that though, most guests would not ever see the backside of Splash Mountain. Pretty much any guest can see the backside of Everest however. It is actually the first thing you see of the park when you enter the parking lot for Animal Kingdom and is easily visible to all who just look over to it.

AdventureHasAName

When did "thread hijacked" become a euphemism for "people stopped unilaterally agreeing with my opinion"? The thread is 23 pages deep and there hasn't been a single post that wasn't about Avatarland.

BaconPancakes

FLE has more substance than anything based on Cameron's preachy snoozefest could ever have. It features characters people love and remember, and stories that have stood the test of time. Avatar has none of that. I'd take Dumbo's Circus over Cameron's kitty carnival any day.

I was more referring to the fact that all they could come up with was a lackluster cloned dark ride and a restaurant. FLE looks amazing, but there's not a lot to do IMO. They could have done so much more with that budget.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom