AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Disneyhead'71

I'm personally OK with Disney IPs in Disney Parks as long as they fit the theme. I think Nemo, The Lion King, or The Jungle Book are fine for DAK. Heck, I would be OK with the island of Naboomboo.
I don't think Avatar is the best fit for DAK, but I do think that the overall message fits. It is just that I don't see how the alien creatures fit with the "mythical" creature mission statement. They are "fictional" creatures, not "mythical" creatures. But as long as they do a good job of it, I think it will be OK. But that is just me. At this point I think DAK needs stuff and if Cameron holds their feet to the fire to blow our socks off very few will complain.

WDWFREAK53

It's too bad Reign of Fire tanked because it would be great as it took place in Europe and had the big daddy dragons. A post-apocalyptic Europe with the message of regrowth and humanity coming together to rebuild would've been perfect.

RyenDeckard

I'm personally OK with Disney IPs in Disney Parks as long as they fit the theme. I think Nemo, The Lion King, or The Jungle Book are fine for DAK. Heck, I would be OK with the island of Naboomboo.

I'm alright with this as well, but I'm not OK with them using it as a crutch for creativity. Dreamfinder is gone, Timekeeper is gone, and Pirates has a character shoehorned in awkwardly.

It just feels wrong.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I don't think Avatar is the best fit for DAK, but I do think that the overall message fits. It is just that I don't see how the alien creatures fit with the "mythical" creature mission statement. They are "fictional" creatures, not "mythical" creatures. But as long as they do a good job of it, I think it will be OK. But that is just me. At this point I think DAK needs stuff and if Cameron holds their feet to the fire to blow our socks off very few will complain.

You got a like just for mentioning Bedknobs and Broomsticks!

champdisney

i think he s saying its no more real than talking lions...

and the fact that this is where the conversation is outrageous

Okay, what difference does it make if they're "talking lions"? Mickey is an anthropomorphic mouse, what exactly is your argument? The fact that it's not realistic enough for you? If that's the case, then you're on the wrong forum big guy. Also realize that the Animal Kingdom isn't some zoo, it's a Disney theme park! If a Lion King attraction were to EVER happen then it will fit just fine whereas in the future, you flip open a park map and you notice how realistic the park is until your eyes make contact to a blue blur that looks like Smurf Village on James Cameron steroids. The fact that we're debating realism is laughable simply because it's a Disney park! It doesn't have to be realistic to be in a Disney park, as long as it fits the certain theme then all is acceptable. The Lion King fits the DAK theme. The Jungle Book fits the DAK theme, Tarzan fits the DAK, Brother Bear fits the DAK theme, even Winnie the Pooh fits in DAK theme. I don't necessarily think Avatar fits within the DAK theme but if you do then good for you, I'm not gonna sit here and pass judgment on your opinion. Just do me a favor and don't continue to poke pointless arguments towards me because I think something fits better than what YOU think fits better for DAK. Especially after I said I'm throwing myself out of the stupid, stupid arguments.

twebber55

Okay, what difference does it make if they're "talking lions"? Mickey is an anthropomorphic mouse, what exactly is your argument? The fact that it's not realistic enough for you? If that's the case, then you're on the wrong forum big guy. Also realize that the Animal Kingdom isn't some zoo, it's a Disney theme park! If a Lion King attraction were to EVER happen then it will fit just fine whereas in the future, you flip open a park map and you notice how realistic the park is until your eyes make contact to a blue blur that looks like Smurf Village on James Cameron steroids. The fact that we're debating realism is laughable simply because it's a Disney park! It doesn't have to be realistic to be in a Disney park, as long as it fits the certain theme then all is acceptable. The Lion King fits the DAK theme. The Jungle Book fits the DAK theme, Tarzan fits the DAK, Brother Bear fits the DAK theme, even Winnie the Pooh fits in DAK theme. I don't necessarily think Avatar fits within the DAK theme but if you do then good for you, I'm not gonna sit here and pass judgment on your opinion. Just do me a favor and don't continue to poke pointless arguments towards me because I think something fits better than what YOU think fits better for DAK. Especially after I said I'm throwing myself out of the stupid, stupid arguments.
And i pretty much agree with what you are saying so i dont see the issue

ctxak98

ok first of all we are not discussing which is more BELIEVABLE!...because they are both on the same level of Unbelievable. What we are getting at is one is set in the real world with actual humans and one is a cartoon that features Talking animals(which I don't have a problem with) but on a cartoon level. Going by the elements I like most about Animal Kingdom, which is the more realism aspect of it all, then yes I think Avatar is a great fit.

And I still don't think anyone is attacking you so can we take it down a few notches!? But I just don't get the thinking of how Disneys Cartoons fit into the theme ANY BETTER than Avatar??? Its REAL, Extinct, Imaginary. We have the real and extinct already covered so if we were going by which fits the IMAGINARY aspect better...than yes Avatar wins. If we are going by, this park doesn't feature enough DISNEY than Yes The Lion King would be a great fit. But the park already does feature the Lion King. I think that's what we are trying to say, Not saying your ideas or opinions don't matter or are stupid, Like you have so bestowed on us but yeah....fact of the matter is, Avatar is not the smurfs. lol

champdisney

ok first of all we are not discussing which is more BELIEVABLE!...because they are both on the same level of Unbelievable. What we are getting at is one is set in the real world with actual humans and one is a cartoon that features Talking animals(which I don't have a problem with) but on a cartoon level. Going by the elements I like most about Animal Kingdom, which is the more realism aspect of it all, then yes I think Avatar is a great fit.

And I still don't think anyone is attacking you so can we take it down a few notches!? But I just don't get the thinking of how Disneys Cartoons fit into the theme ANY BETTER than Avatar??? Its REAL, Extinct, Imaginary. We have the real and extinct already covered so if we were going by which fits the IMAGINARY aspect better...than yes Avatar wins. If we are going by, this park doesn't feature enough DISNEY than Yes The Lion King would be a great fit. But the park already does feature the Lion King. I think that's what we are trying to say, Not saying your ideas or opinions don't matter or are stupid, Like you have so bestowed on us but yeah....fact of the matter is, Avatar is not the smurfs. lol
I was trying to understand exactly where you guys were coming from because obviously people interpret things differently. I was thinking you guys were making jokes out of my comments, anyways I agree with how Avatar fits DAK imaginary section. All this time I thought Avatar was going to cover a science fiction portion of the park which I thought that DAK didn't need BUT NOW I GET IT lol and I appreciate you explaining it out to me. I wish it was that simple. (I'm sure it was explained before but we're over 234 pages overboard) Though, I still think James Cameron is holding off on this project. Maybe he wants to wait it off till the sequels as I'm sure we'll see even more of "Pandora" that can go into DAK or maybe he's just being a pain in the you know what over budget costs, I'm going to DAK next week I'll ask around. Hopefully someone can feed me actual news.

awoogala

Looks pretty. I still just don't care, at all. Hated the movie, won't let the kids watch it, so they don't care. I guess it will ease lines at everest, and I'm sure I'll go on it, and it may be impressive. I just don't care. Of all the places they could be spending money, Pocahontas in blue would never be my choice. My poor EPCOT needs love so badly, it just makes me sad. I would hate it less if I knew they were about to overhaul all of EPCOT.

ErikMichaelS

I really want to get excited for this but with Epcot in such need of attention it is very difficult. I am working hard to try and like Avatar outside of the visuals but even that is tough. To base an entire "land" off of a movie that will not hold up the way that classic Disney films have held up is foolish at best and potentially devastating at worst. I will be happy to see any progress in the Parks but would like to see this land happen along with much needed repairs elsewhere and development of a larger Star Wars presence in DHS. If the pace at which the Fantasyland expansion has taught us anything is that our children will all be grown by the time there are any significant changes to the parks. It is sad but as a supporter of Walt and his vision, I will stand by the decisions here and hope for the best. For those of us old enough to remember and care about Walt's goal for the parks, it would be nice if they would at least clean up and refurb the classics while we wait for new attractions. So long as the parks are open, I will always feel Walt's spirit there when I walk in...despite what the shareholders that be might be doing (or not doing) behind the scenes.

ErikMichaelS

I just want to see things take a turn toward Walt's vision is all... the simplicity of enjoying time with your loved ones while getting that much needed separation from the "real world". Walt Disney World is the only place that I go where I feel like I am truly getting a vacation so that part of the intent of the parks is very much working. Losing the original vision of Epcot is heartbreaking to me and the fact that so many buidings there are left vacant while money and focus are spent on things like the Magic Bands, food and booze festivals, etc... It makes no sense. Disney Parks in other parts of the world are getting better attractions while Florida gets another restaurant, a Little Mermaid attraction that is nothing to write home about, a new bathroom, double the Dumbo and a roller coaster that is taking forever to open. Universal is destroying WDW on construction times and if Harry Potter keeps up at this pace, even Star Wars is going to seem lackluster by the time anything happens with it. Colour me vexed.

Carolwood

I agree @ErikMichaelS ... the movie hasn't held up at all. There's nothing iconic about it. I said before, I'm unaware of any movie or theme that's been so heavily incorporated into a theme park that is less iconic than Avatar. To me, it does not remotely being to resonate enough to have this make sense. And like you, I'd rather see them put money into EPCOT or even DHS. Want to build around something iconic? Build around Star Wars more in DHS. That's a franchise celebrated by generations...and will be by future generations as more movies get released going forward.

Couldn't agree more with this, I can not understand what made Disney jump on board with this. Nothing at all iconic about it(Avatar)! I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying but I really think Disney missed the boat by not getting involved with HP Franchise. Harry Potter has a far greater reach than Avatar will ever achieve. Personally I would love to see Disney come up with something unique on it's own and not build from an existing franchise as seems to be the case these days, hit movie=theme park attraction.

ErikMichaelS

Harry Potter has staying power because there is an underlying story that peope can relate to around coming of age, believing in yourself, etc.. It is on par with many Disney classics. Avatar is an unfortunate doom and gloom story about how aweful human beings are..it just happens to have stunning art and visuals which makes for a great ride experience but not much else in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom