AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

pilka214

The proposal to build Pandora, imo is absolutely incredible. Here's why;

Disney's most timeless and famous attractions are those which broke ground with their total originality and attention to detail. Given the chance imagineers, with an endless world to pull from, have the potential to create something totally unprecedented.

With now emerging technology, the ability to totally immerse a guest in a totally imagined world has grown immensely. Between next-gen experiences and sheer ingenuity of the creative team at disney something completely ground-breaking could be on the horizon.

I personally would like to see some kind of fully immersive type attractions. Allow a guest to explore a world on their own, walk down trail and see some magnificent alien creature. By using AR helmets or visors (similar to googles new product due out in the coming year) guests could be guided to see staged "animals" in a psuedo-environment. These animals could be similar to the massive puppets used in "walking with dinosaurs" or The new "How to train you dragon Arena spectacular" if you haven't seen it check it out!

Full size Trex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2B7YkQxllQ&feature=related
How to Train your Dragon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djaoiekWjww&feature=related
Enjoy! :wave:

pilka214

The proposal to build Pandora, imo is absolutely incredible. Here's why;

Disney's most timeless and famous attractions are those which broke ground with their total originality and attention to detail. Given the chance imagineers, with an endless world to pull from, have the potential to create something totally unprecedented.

With now emerging technology, the ability to totally immerse a guest in a totally imagined world has grown immensely. Between next-gen experiences and sheer ingenuity of the creative team at disney something completely ground-breaking could be on the horizon.

I personally would like to see some kind of fully immersive type attractions. Allow a guest to explore a world on their own, walk down trail and see some magnificent alien creature. By using AR helmets or visors (similar to googles new produce due in the coming year) guests could be guided to see staged "animals" in a psuedo-environment. These animals could be similar to the massive puppets used in "walking with dinosaurs" or The new "How to train you dragon Arena spectacular" if you haven't seen it check it out!

Full size Trex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2B7YkQxllQ&feature=related
How to Train your Dragon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djaoiekWjww&feature=related
Enjoy! :wave:

misterID

Lord of the Rings...PERIOD

If Disney didn't want to deal with JK for Harry Potter just wait until they have to deal with the Tolkien estate. :zipit:

Plus, I'm pretty sure UNI has a much better chance at snagging the LOTR rights than Disney, if they haven't already.

ImagineeringFan

I have to say i disagree with this decision 100%. Disney could do so much better by doing something Disney/Pixar. This one movie should not all of a sudden get it's own spot in Disney. I didn't see the big deal with it so I didn't go see it. I don't know why people are making such a big fuss over it, Iv'e seen parts and it looked stupid. AK has plenty of space for something better. I see this being a failed attempt after 3yrs since opening.

Am I the only one that wants to see Up fitting in that area?

Btw. First Post!:wave:

PhilharMagician

Its true, he isn't very humble but the guy can make a blockbuster that's for sure.

There was a time where I though he was just taking things he knew would be popular and running with it, but making an original scifi film that is such a success, it is impressive.

I sure would like to hang out with him for a day just to see what sort of toys he bought with his piles of money.

In 2009 I went on a week long live aboard dive vacation in Micronesia @ Truk Lagoon. I missed meeting James Cameron by a few weeks, but the crew onboard the ship said he was very humble and easy to get along with. He of course had nothing but the best equipment and left behind many things for the crew. The ships crew which is mostly made up of people from these islands do not have much and the gift of a dive light and batteries will make them extremly happy people since some do not have electricity in their homes.

evilzorac

I am just excited by all the work that is being done on the project! Oh wait that is right nothing has happened. So everyone that is upset that their favorite project went the way of the Dodo bird rejoice this one could be well on its way too.

I say that as an impartial person I liked the movie for what it was but have had no real feeling either way on the park. The proof has always been in the pudding and Disney is famous for big ideas that die or get sliced and diced by accountants to the point of being a mere shadow of what they were supposed to be.

At this point IMO Avatarland sits right next to Beastly Kingdom, no where.

Hey Disney finish AK!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have yet to hear a viable big available franchise named other then Star Wars... which interestingly enough is property of Lucasfilm.

How about no franchise? How about just coming up with a themed land?

Ignore the unsophisticated story. I don't believe anyone can honestly watch that Avatar movie and not believe it would be a stunning theme park land if the right budget and design talent were applied.

How can we ignore the movie? The entire expansion is based off the movie. The movie is everything here.

I stick by my theory; most of the rabid dislike for the Avatar / Pandora expansion at Animal Kingdom is based on the fanboy obsession with one canceled project or another. Avatar is the nail for many of our favorite dead projects. Mine too.

This at least is true. And it is a shame.

Nope, not in my case at least. I'd take the vacant land over Avatar.

Agreed. Vacant land wouldn't cost a fortune, and vacant land can be developed into something better then %&*@#$ Avatar.

PirateFrank

The Pandora argument is overdone. Just search the boards for a bit. I could bang my head against a wall for an hour and it would be more fun then to rehash... Especially without concept art or really any knowledge whatsoever of what the expansion would contain.

The constant statement espoused from Disney Fans is "Disney could do so much better." "They should pick a better franchise."

I have yet to hear a viable big available franchise named other then Star Wars... which interestingly enough is property of Lucasfilm.

Ignore the unsophisticated story. I don't believe anyone can honestly watch that Avatar movie and not believe it would be a stunning theme park land if the right budget and design talent were applied.

I stick by my theory; most of the rabid dislike for the Avatar / Pandora expansion at Animal Kingdom is based on the fanboy obsession with one canceled project or another. Avatar is the nail for many of our favorite dead projects. Mine too.

I've quoted the segments of your post that I feel deserves mention.

I've tried to put my finger on the reasons why Avatar in AK makes me squirm and I feel your post really crystalized what I've been feeling for months.

Avatar is a great, stunning, visual movie. However, as a movie, it's missing key elements that make it fit in Disney properties. When we talk about immersive themes/movies, it's not just that the theming is rich, lush. That misses the mark. To be immersive it is absolutely *essential* that the story bring the viewer/reader into the world and make them part of it.

Think about what you said about Star Wars. How many children since 1977 until today have gone into their backyards with play lightsabers and imagined themselves as Jedi Knights. Literally billions of play hours by children all over the world have been invested in fighting a Sith alongside Luke Skywalker or Han Solo. The fact of the matter is that they've imagined themselves *IN* the world they were watching in the movie. The mentally transported themselves, as they are, into these movies. There are other movie franchises that accomplish this. My kids do this with the pirates movies. I've had to install a huge Calico Jack pirate flag on my backyard swing set, because it's really a pirate ship, it's not a swing set and it hasn't been for 2 years. Let's take Harry Potter. Every stick outside becomes a wand....and my kids fight Lord Voldermort alongside each other and alongside Harry Potter at least once a week.

Now, lets talk about Avatar. you said it yourself. "Unsophisticated Story." I'll take it one step further. It's not just unsophisticated. Its not imersive!! Now before people challenge that. Yes, it's richly themed, its very lush. But it does *NOT* drag the viewer into the movie. Think about it. Harsh conditions. You can't breathe there. Every animal is going to eat your eyeballs for jujubes. The Navi don't like humans, they don't look like humans...and it took half the movie for the main character to get close to the Navi.

That's not an environment or story line that draws children inward. It's not a story that draws fantasy-minded adults in. I loved avatar, but for every second I watched it, I was FIRMLY aware that I was sitting in my living room, watching Dances with Wolves in outer space. My children don't want to fight alongside Jake Sully. They don't want to mate with a Navi. They don't want to breathe that air. It's not immersive. It doesn't pull the viewer in.

I seriously doubt that people have a problem with Avatar because it won't allow our pet projects to be developed. That's silly. If Avatar were truly a great idea, we'd all embrace it. The reason we're not is because there's this intangible that makes the Avatar project *very* un-disney. For me, the above description is what I don't like about it. Perhaps its the same for others. But the fact of the matter is most people are not comfortable with this idea because it makes our Disney Parks less Disney.

Given the likely cost of this expansion, I'm still scratching my head why they couldn't attract George Lucas instead. An entire theme park could have been developed around the Star Wars mythology...and this entire theme park could have easily been a very deadly blow to the huge momentum Universal has created for itself with WWOHP. It still boggles the mind.

jmmc

OK, I haven't been to this thread in a while, so I'll acknowledge that there's a good chance what I'm going to say has already been said. But here goes, anyway... :)

I personally think the film could lend itself to a great attraction. And really, it's one of the few fantasy films that could give an attraction fitting into a natural setting.

The only thing that makes me hesitant is that this is only being based on a single movie, now three years old. Yes, it was popular, but will it have any staying power? By a quote I saw on a news site recently, it sounds like the first sequel to the film would likely not be out for three or four more years. And while the first was a big hit and made a lotta cash, is it still a sure thing such a far-off sequel will be made?

Harry Potter worked because it had a series of books and several successful movies. Same goes for Star Wars. Granted, many of the animated Disney movies given attractions are based around a single movie, they have lots of toys, games, direct-to-video sequels, etc. And kids obsess over them. While this new land has been talked about for a long time now, I still feel like it would make more sense to see what the sequel brings first.

RSoxNo1

This thread is only slightly less ridiculous than the Lights of Winter thread. We know so little about this land - the only thing that people are basing their distaste around is what they know about the movie itself.

Having said all that, I don't know what that first choice would be for an additional land in the Animal Kingdom. It very well could be Avatar, I don't know yet. The way I look at it is Disney is likely adding a land based off of a new set of mythical creatures and this land doesn't behave the same way the lands of Earth behave. If something like that was part of the public pitch for Avatarland and the movie didn't exist we would all be incredible excited.

But for some unknown reason we're tying this back to the source franchise. The souce of the franchise has little to no bearing on the quality of the land that can be produced. If you dislike the idea of devoting an entire land to a single entity, sure that makes sense, but saying that because of the source material you'd prefer a vacant lot - that's just silly.
My only complaint with AVATAR is simple.

Disney. could. do. better.

If AVATAR was the only thing they could get a hold of then I'd be fine with it. But considering the amount of franchises out there ripe for theming, AVATAR is just the bottom of the barrel.

There is one franchise that they currently control that could be expanded outwards and would potentially generate Potter level excitement. That's Star Wars, and they did that to a degree. However, like everything Disney does lately it was marketed fairly poorly.

At this point, I would say LoTR would be a level below Harry Potter or Star Wars, but probably slightly ahead of Avatar. I would actually say a Toy Story Playland (although these have looked rather cheap) would also be a welcome addition to DHS.

Then prove to me, why AVATAR is a much more lasting and profitable franchise?
Tell me how AVATAR toys will fly off souvenir store shelves.
Cause the clearance isle at Kmart doesn't count.

Merchandise does not equate to good theme park land. No way you can slice this for me to agree.

Knowing what something is doesn't mean that it is a valuable franchise going forward. Especially when we are talking about bricks and mortar.

Merchandise offerings for AVATAR are awful right now, that's a big thing for Disney but less important if they're trying to create a great environment.

The Pandora argument is overdone. Just search the boards for a bit. I could bang my head against a wall for an hour and it would be more fun then to rehash... Especially without concept art or really any knowledge whatsoever of what the expansion would contain.

The constant statement espoused from Disney Fans is "Disney could do so much better." "They should pick a better franchise."

Pretend for a moment that Mysterious Island, Beastly Kingdom, or Avatar/Pandora never existed. If Disney presented these three ideas to the public as the three possibilities for the Animal Kingdom I truly don't know what people would prefer.

Mysterious Island: Fan boys would love that a version of 20K was coming back because they know what 20K is, they would also likely criticize Journey to the Center of the Earth not knowing what it was and just assuming it was a Test Track clone

Beastly Kingdom: We would complain that either the park doesn't need a new roller coaster, or "Dragon Roller Coaster... real original" or "really, you expect us to get excted about a hedge maze"?

Pandora: "Wait, the flowers move that's pretty cool..." or "They create their own imaginary animals? That sounds intriguing" or "floating mountains... I gotta see this"

:wave: I can.

Nope, not in my case at least. I'd take the vacant land over Avatar.

Agreed. Vacant land wouldn't cost a fortune, and vacant land can be developed into something better then %&*@#$ Avatar.

That's just silly.

Lord of the Rings...PERIOD

I've never seen Lord of the Rings, but I think it's fair to say that the mass appeal for visiting the world would be greater than the mass appeal for Avatar. But I don't think it's a slam dunk, nor do I believe that one is guaranteed to be better than the other, LoTR just has the potential right now for a longer lasting appeal based on the franchise.

If Disney didn't want to deal with JK for Harry Potter just wait until they have to deal with the Tolkien estate. :zipit:

Plus, I'm pretty sure UNI has a much better chance at snagging the LOTR rights than Disney, if they haven't already.

Probably not that relevant - it sounds like Cameron isn't exactly easy to deal with.

I've quoted the segments of your post that I feel deserves mention.

I've tried to put my finger on the reasons why Avatar in AK makes me squirm and I feel your post really crystalized what I've been feeling for months.

Avatar is a great, stunning, visual movie. However, as a movie, it's missing key elements that make it fit in Disney properties. When we talk about immersive themes/movies, it's not just that the theming is rich, lush. That misses the mark. To be immersive it is absolutely *essential* that the story bring the viewer/reader into the world and make them part of it.

Think about what you said about Star Wars. How many children since 1977 until today have gone into their backyards with play lightsabers and imagined themselves as Jedi Knights. Literally billions of play hours by children all over the world have been invested in fighting a Sith alongside Luke Skywalker or Han Solo. The fact of the matter is that they've imagined themselves *IN* the world they were watching in the movie. The mentally transported themselves, as they are, into these movies. There are other movie franchises that accomplish this. My kids do this with the pirates movies. I've had to install a huge Calico Jack pirate flag on my backyard swing set, because it's really a pirate ship, it's not a swing set and it hasn't been for 2 years. Let's take Harry Potter. Every stick outside becomes a wand....and my kids fight Lord Voldermort alongside each other and alongside Harry Potter at least once a week.

Now, lets talk about Avatar. you said it yourself. "Unsophisticated Story." I'll take it one step further. It's not just unsophisticated. Its not imersive!! Now before people challenge that. Yes, it's richly themed, its very lush. But it does *NOT* drag the viewer into the movie. Think about it. Harsh conditions. You can't breathe there. Every animal is going to eat your eyeballs for jujubes. The Navi don't like humans, they don't look like humans...and it took half the movie for the main character to get close to the Navi.

That's not an environment or story line that draws children inward. It's not a story that draws fantasy-minded adults in. I loved avatar, but for every second I watched it, I was FIRMLY aware that I was sitting in my living room, watching Dances with Wolves in outer space. My children don't want to fight alongside Jake Sully. They don't want to mate with a Navi. They don't want to breathe that air. It's not immersive. It doesn't pull the viewer in.

I seriously doubt that people have a problem with Avatar because it won't allow our pet projects to be developed. That's silly. If Avatar were truly a great idea, we'd all embrace it. The reason we're not is because there's this intangible that makes the Avatar project *very* un-disney. For me, the above description is what I don't like about it. Perhaps its the same for others. But the fact of the matter is most people are not comfortable with this idea because it makes our Disney Parks less Disney.

Given the likely cost of this expansion, I'm still scratching my head why they couldn't attract George Lucas instead. An entire theme park could have been developed around the Star Wars mythology...and this entire theme park could have easily been a very deadly blow to the huge momentum Universal has created for itself with WWOHP. It still boggles the mind.

I really don't buy into the story argument. You can have the greatest backstory to a land and the land can still be lousy (Dinorama is a prime example). Admittedly, I'm far more intrigued in the visuals of Avatar than I am the story - I assume most people are also really only captivated by the visuals over the story.

Why does the story of the land have to be the same story of the movie? That doesn't always happen in Disney attractions, why does it have to happen in this one?

Look at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - how many people that visit that land know that we're visiting on the day of the tri-wizard tournament? If you don't go into Dragon Challenge you probably don't know that, and more importantly, I'm guessing most people didn't think that they would even have that specific a backstory. Forbidden Journey is an incredible attraction but the story of the attraction is so-so. They made it that way so they could make the ride a best of.

Disney and Lucas did the same thing with Star Tours. Yes the time frame is meant to be between Episode III and IV, but Lucas knew that people didn't just want to visit Hoth, they wanted to see the At-Ats. This is missed by the overwhelming majority of guests.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm only going to say one thing... you've never seen LOTR???

Stop, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Watch the trilogy, and I suggest reading the books too.

RSoxNo1

I'm only going to say one thing... you've never seen LOTR???

Stop, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Watch the trilogy, and I suggest reading the books too.

Lol, I started watching the first movie about 10 years ago, got an hour and a half in and just lost interest.

I had only seen 2 Harry Potter movies at the time that land was announced. I decided at that point to read all 7 books and watch all 8 movies. I'm glad I did because they were entertaining.

When Star Tours 2.0 was announced, I re-watched all 6 Star Wars movies. I saw the original trilogy 20+ years ago and was rather indifferent towards it, and I saw the new movies as they came out (and was also indifferent towards them). Again, I'm glad I re-watched them but the driving force behind it were the theme parks.

I also bought Avatar on Blu Ray a few months after that was announced. I saw it in theaters but I have yet to re-watch it. I figure I have a few years.

I expect I would do the exact same thing if and when a LoTR land/attraction is announced.

Having said that, I think it was really only Harry Potter where my appreciation of the land was at all enhanced by experiencing the books/movies.

PirateFrank

I really don't buy into the story argument. You can have the greatest backstory to a land and the land can still be lousy (Dinorama is a prime example). Admittedly, I'm far more intrigued in the visuals of Avatar than I am the story - I assume most people are also really only captivated by the visuals over the story.

Why does the story of the land have to be the same story of the movie? That doesn't always happen in Disney attractions, why does it have to happen in this one?

Look at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - how many people that visit that land know that we're visiting on the day of the tri-wizard tournament? If you don't go into Dragon Challenge you probably don't know that, and more importantly, I'm guessing most people didn't think that they would even have that specific a backstory. Forbidden Journey is an incredible attraction but the story of the attraction is so-so. They made it that way so they could make the ride a best of.

Disney and Lucas did the same thing with Star Tours. Yes the time frame is meant to be between Episode III and IV, but Lucas knew that people didn't just want to visit Hoth, they wanted to see the At-Ats. This is missed by the overwhelming majority of guests.

You're missing the point in order to drive home something that isn't valid. The story is important in such that it is a conduit for the things that we identify with. Those things are characters, ideals, crusades, etc. It's *these* things that make a child want to fight Darth Vader on his bed. It's *these* things that make a child grab a twig, point it at the boy next door and go "expelliarmus!!" and its *these* things that will make a themed area based on a franchise a success or not.

You can argue the point that story doesn't matter....and assuming you stop at story and connect none of the characterization, ideas or crusades, you'd be right...and you can cite dinoland and Splash Mountain til the cows come home.

But we're not talking about discrete ideas for a land that can have zero connection to anything outside of the land, are we? We're talking about a franchise with an already established characterization....an already established set of ideas....an already established crusade/purpose and an already established mythology. Those things are rather cast in stone. You can't can't change them significantly. If you do, you'd better not call it 'Avatarland' or whatever WDW/TDO decides to call it.

Find me a single kid in his backyard trying to jump out of his tree to capture that dragon thing? You're not going to....that's the big problem here. I hate to bring in merchandising here, because it'll be misinterpreted. But go take a look at how many Avatar toys there were in the stores during the movie's height of popularity. Not many. Contrast that with the amount of Star Wars toys. The amount of Harry Potter toys. The amount of Toy Story toys...I can go on. The point is, that Avatar doesn't have that connection to people. People aren't immersed into the story line. They aren't immersed into the characters. They aren't immersed into the mythology.

Story line is definitely not that important when creating a theme park attraction. But the characterization, emotions and mythology that the story line allows the viewer to identify with is EVERYTHING.

danpam1024

Any attraction or land doesn't have to end with the movie (s). Disney has Imagineers for a reason, maybe (with the assistance and permissions of Cameron) they are using the series as a jumping off point and expanding on Pandora:shrug:. I personally have never seen the film, nor do i plan to, but it sounds exciting to me anyway:king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom