AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

invader

It's ironic that the same people slamming the project would be the same ones up in arms with Disney if Universal announced it... :brick: hypocrites.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I was wondering where you have been… earlier today actually.

Ahh the good ole days of visiting KSC and Langley Air and Space before sitting in classrooms learning how the rocket engines work and the fuel flows/combusts within them. As well as the the fun times at The Smithsonian looking at items used in settling the west prior to being educated in the Western Plains Indian War.

This land is exactly what Disney needs. The success of animal's natural lives correlate directly to conservation of the wild. Good addition, Disney!

For some reason seeing this in the flesh was memorable.
20090129_dali_christ.jpg

Entertainment should not be an excuse to turn education into infotainment, IMHO of course.
And while I may understand the need for conservation I dont feel it should be an excuse to be submissive to the Panzer Division of the green tree hugging Junta.

mightynine

I would love, LOVE to have Doctor Who in the parks.

The only concern I would have there is having to swap out the Doctor on a fairly regular basis.

Sassagoula-Rvr

This is AWESOME!!! The movie was good, but not really for the story, it was one that has been told before, it was a stunningly immersive world that will make a great land! Can't wait to see what Disney does with this!! And the whole theme of the movie is saving nature.

CTXRover

Once the initial shock wore off, I'm pretty excited about the prospects of this addition.

You have to give it to Disney though for some how finding a way to keep this under wraps . I don't recall this ever being seriously discussed on the forums.

I had the same reaction that others did at first. Why Avatar? Why Animal Kingdom? I liked the movie and remember thinking it would be neat to be able to go to Pandora, but never thought of it as a themed land.

That said, after looking at some images of Pandora from the movie it jogged my memory of how cool the place looked. I really think the possibilities of an entire land with that look has the potential to be really awesome.

I'm most curious about what exactly the land will contain. What type of attractions will be included? If it is an awesome enough themed environment, in the end, the linkage to the movie itself may not matter. I personally don't care for Harry Potter (although did see the movies and felt the last movie was pretty good), but felt the WWoHP was pretty cool.

Crazy Harry

It's ironic that the same people slamming the project would be the same ones up in arms with Disney if Universal announced it... :brick: hypocrites.

So is it not apprpriate for people to have alternate views? Some people like it, some people don't, and all for valid reasons. In a democratic society, is this not valid? Besides, if we all had the same views, there wouldn't be much to discuss.

I think it will be well done as are most Disney attractions, I just don't think it fits thematically, also like many Disney attractions nowadays.

Computer Magic

This is something I am really excited about. He could really bring something to the table with this and perhaps help push the boundaries beyond what we have seen before.
Exactly! I'm didn't see Avatar and really don't plan to. However, I know James work and he doesn't do anything half ______. Anyone that loves quality, detail and leading edge technology will surely enjoy this new land. James is what Disney once was.

FigmentJedi

From the mouths of babes...

My 10 year-old daughter loves the parks and is constantly asking when we'll go again. She's also a little bit of a sci-fi geek: loves Star Wars, the Clone Wars series, watches Doctor Who (when the episodes are appropriate) and even the original series of Star Trek. She likes fantasy: Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings are high on her list.

I told her about this, and she was very excited ... until she realized I didn't mean "Avatar: The Last Airbender."

Her reaction was not disappointment, but more like disgust: "The one with the blue people? Yeah, I don't ever want to see that."

When I told her about the original plan for Beastly Kingdomme, she got really excited at that idea.

For those who think I may have influenced her reactions, you obviously don't have children. I even tried to sound excited about the idea. She wasn't buying it.

Man, I'd love it if Paramount gave the Avatar theme park rights to people who could actually do something with it. That half-pipe surfboard coaster at Mall of America and the Nick park in general really doesn't cut it at all. Just imagine a darkride starring the Gaang while having the vehicles themselves implied to be moving via bending.

maroman

I tend to agree that Avatar land won't be a WWOHP killer alone, but remember that the Fantasyland expansion, the new Avatar land and other minor projects along the way should make a difference and bring people in.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Once the initial shock wore off, I'm pretty excited about the prospects of this addition.

You have to give it to Disney though for some how finding a way to keep this under wraps . I don't recall this ever being seriously discussed on the forums.

A project like this that is so early in development will only be handled at the very top of the company, and those people don't talk. The leaks occur when you start bringing in outside consultants and contractors.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
For some reason seeing this in the flesh was memorable.

Entertainment should not be an excuse to turn education into infotainment, IMHO of course.
And while I may understand the need for conservation I dont feel it should be an excuse to be submissive to the Panzer Division of the green tree hugging Junta.

It is what you read it to be. I have to find it amusing to call it infotainment. If that is the case then you might as well take the message from Flights of Wonder, Rafiki's Con Center, Seaworld's message, Busch Tampa's message as well as others and classify it as that. All of which are aimed at protecting nature. Nowhere do they push some "drive a Prius that's battery mineral mining does more damage than fossil fuels" agenda anywhere. It is the simple things.

No tree hugger here. I enjoy crop dusting my turbo-diesel! :sohappy:

invader

So is it not apprpriate for people to have alternate views? Some people like it, some people don't, and all for valid reasons. In a democratic society, is this not valid? Besides, if we all had the same views, there wouldn't be much to discuss.

I think it will be well done as are most Disney attractions, I just don't think it fits thematically, also like many Disney attractions nowadays.

Did I say anywhere that people HAD to like it, or enjoy it? People have been complaining that Animal Kingdom is only a half day park and we get an announcement of an amazing land and people just complain, complain, and complain.... If people really like Universal that much go there and the rest of us will have shorter lines. :sohappy:

Computer Magic

Something worth pointing out to a lot of you who are concerned about the "fit" with DAK. If this thing turns out to be an absolute stunning attraction, which it could very well be with the talent involved, you are not going to care that its connection to Animal Kingdom is a stretch. This is the direction they are going, so we have to embrace that and look forward to some big investment into Animal Kingdom. Today is very good news in my opinion.
I just wish it that would get done before 2017...

WDWFigment

I haven't seen Avatar, but I'm quite excited about this. Regardless of whether Avatar's story is weak, it appears the themed environment is layered and magnificent. That's what matters with regard to this land.

While, for personal reasons, I wish this were Beastly Kingdom or something I'd prefer, I understand acquiring the rights to a huge franchise from a business perspective. Disney doesn't have anything with a built-in fanbase on par with Potter. Avatar doesn't have the same fanbase, either, but maybe after 2 more films, it will.

Overall, I think this has the potential to be really great, and I think it will be really great with an innovator and perfectionist like Cameron at the helm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom