AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

imagineer boy

Well.

Let's, for a minute, assume that the Yeti is in fact mythological. This is part of the park, and the only major complaint I've seen about it is that the animatronic is broken. We can also include the Beastly Kingdomme plans, which are pretty much unanimously praised in the fan community.

These animals are not on this world. They are culturally important in this world, but they do not physically exist.

The same can be said of Avatar, no? A collection of culturally significant creatures that exist only in fantasy.

If Pandora doesn't fit Animal Kingdom because imaginary creatures have no place there, then Beastly Kingdom and Expedition Everest do not belong either.

Yetis/ bigfoot/ abonidable snowmen are cryptzoological, not mythical.

Computer Magic

You'd have the same amount of people--maybe more--letting you know that it doesn't fit the theme . . . . it fits even less . . . . (nevermind how much I'd love to stroll around Hobbiton . . .)

People are going to complain. I will miss having AK to myself because those same people complain about a half day park.

LOTR has a stronger following being around so many generation. At least for those that read the book.

stitchcastle

Well.

Let's, for a minute, assume that the Yeti is in fact mythological. This is part of the park, and the only major complaint I've seen about it is that the animatronic is broken. We can also include the Beastly Kingdomme plans, which are pretty much unanimously praised in the fan community.

These animals are not on this world. They are culturally important in this world, but they do not physically exist.

The same can be said of Avatar, no? A collection of culturally significant creatures that exist only in fantasy.

If Pandora doesn't fit Animal Kingdom because imaginary creatures have no place there, then Beastly Kingdom and Expedition Everest do not belong either.

And let's face it. Animal Kingdom is not just animals. Those village themed areas in Africa and Asia? Yeah, I don't generally see many animals there. There is a bigger thematic force here than just animals, and Pandora fits the bill for something that represents conservation as much as anything else. And then there are the mythical animals present there.

Pandora is an imaginary planet where you have to watch a movie to fully understand what it's about, it's not something instantly recognizable and inherently connected to the fabric of human history or culture.

Theme Parkitect

This is getting VERY tiring. I really can't wait until this is built and is one of the most visited parts of the Park. You know, both of these little things called, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and Disneyland were called "Walt's Folly."

Thrill

Yetis/ bigfoot/ abonidable snowmen are cryptzoological, not mythical.

I know the distinction, but, for the sake of simplicity, lumped them together.

At this time, there is no strong physical presence of a truly mythical creature at Animal Kingdom, so I didn't want that to be the main argument.

Beastly Kingdom exists in spirit, and gets few complaints, and effectively has as much reason to be there as Pandora. Actually, Pandora might be an even better fit for Animal Kingdom. It fits the imaginary creatures and conservation themes in one shot, while Beastly Kingdom was just imaginary creatures.

stitchcastle

I know the distinction, but, for the sake of simplicity, lumped them together.

At this time, there is no strong physical presence of a truly mythical creature at Animal Kingdom, so I didn't want that to be the main argument.

Beastly Kingdom exists in spirit, and gets few complaints, and effectively has as much reason to be there as Pandora. Actually, Pandora might be an even better fit for Animal Kingdom. It fits the imaginary creatures and conservation themes in one shot, while Beastly Kingdom was just imaginary creatures.

again, conservation is not a theme. Also, if the imaginary creatures of Pandora fit in with animal kingdom then Stitch and the aliens from Alien would fit into Animal Kingdom too right?

Captain Neo

WSJ is saying the current estimate for the opening of the land is 2017. Have fun waiting y'all!

Harry Potter will be on its 3rd expansion by then.

Crazy Harry

Well.

And let's face it. Animal Kingdom is not just animals. Those village themed areas in Africa and Asia? Yeah, I don't generally see many animals there. There is a bigger thematic force here than just animals, and Pandora fits the bill for something that represents conservation as much as anything else. And then there are the mythical animals present there.

I'm sorry, but this is much different. There are mytohological aspects of Yetis, but they could infact be real creatures based on numerous sighting and inclusion in many cultures. Nevertheless, human culture regarding animals, mythological or not, is a part of the pre-established theme of AK, and not fictional creatures on an alien planet. There is a difference between mythology and pure fiction. Mythology is a part of culture that has some aspect of truth to it. Fiction is just that, not mythology.

After all, is the animal kingdom being refered to Earth itself? If it is, how do aliens on another planet fit? Conservation is the only part of Avatar that fits in AK, which I believe is not enough to truly fit the theme of the park.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It is what you read it to be. I have to find it amusing to call it infotainment. If that is the case then you might as well take the message from Flights of Wonder, Rafiki's Con Center, Seaworld's message, Busch Tampa's message as well as others and classify it as that. All of which are aimed at protecting nature. Nowhere do they push some "drive a Prius that's battery mineral mining does more damage than fossil fuels" agenda anywhere. It is the simple things.

No tree hugger here. I enjoy crop dusting my turbo-diesel! :sohappy:

Sea World is a zoo for big fish and wet mammals.

What i am getting at is that a theme park usually dumbs down the message it is trying to get over, as you seem to agree. But it could be argued that a themepark s actually harming nature with its 100s of buses and millions of visitors and the infrastructure to support them. .

Give us entertaining rides and shows save the preaching for the Animal Channel and Bills retirement project dont let them make it out to be something its not

DonaldDoleWhip

I've never seen Avatar, so I don't really have an opinion on whether it's the greatest movie ever, or way overhyped.

However, it's very clear that Avatar has some amazing visuals, special effects, and a theme that coincides with the message of Animal Kingdom. All of those sound like essential components to a compelling theme park attraction/land, so as of right now, I'm thrilled about this announcement.

Honestly, I don't see Animal Kingdom as a cohesive park that tells a story between every land, particularly because of Dinoland. Seriously, you travel from the Himalayas to a land of dinosaur excavation featuring a musical about marine life near modern-day Australia. And then you arrive at a cheap, tacky roadside carnival that is no different to what you'll find at a traveling carnival across the US. Unless they squeeze this new area between Africa and Asia (the two greatest lands in the park), I don't think Pandora/Avatarland is really going to ruin the park.

Besides, my favorite attractions at WDW (Rock n' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror) are both based on non-Disney properties. I'm sure an Avatar E-ticket has the potential to be exciting and immersive.

:)

MAF

I'm sure Disney will realize what a mistake this is and "retool" it just like they did with the Fantasyland expansion. I mean we have until 2017 or later to wait. Its sad that the next big thing we'll get in WDW is this garbage and its going to take around 10 years. Sad...

Oh and I find it interesting how most people admit that they haven't even seen the movie. So Disney is banking on a franchise that their core customers don't even care about? They really didn't think this through at all did they? I guess all they could see was how they could snatch up a popular franchise to compete with Harry Potter. How short sighted.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Sea World is a zoo for big fish and wet mammals.

What i am getting at is that a theme park usually dumbs down the message it is trying to get over, as you seem to agree. But it could be argued that a themepark s actually harming nature with its 100s of buses and millions of visitors and the infrastructure to support them. .

Give us entertaining rides and shows save the preaching for the Animal Channel and Bills retirement project dont let them make it out to be something its not

Ahh. Yes, that is what I thought you were saying. It's hard to give your post (or any for that matter) full thought when I am studying.

I am going to wait to pass judgement on this addition until the full details and opening are upon us. The atmosphere possibilities have immense potential if they do it correlated to the film.

I highly doubt a flagship attraction as this more than likely will be is going to be plagued with propaganda. Only time shall tell.

Thrill

again, conservation is not a theme. Also, if the imaginary creatures of Pandora fit in with animal kingdom then Stitch and the aliens from Alien would fit into Animal Kingdom too right?

Stitch carries no theme relevant to Animal Kingdom, nor does Alien. And neither of them offer anything with too much more atmospheric value than Dinorama.

Avatar has the theme of conservation, which, contrary to the beliefs of some, is among the park's core values.

This isn't about dissecting into the details here. This is big picture stuff. On the grand scale, Avatar fits where Stitch and Alien don't. And again, it's a beautiful world.

I don't love the movie. It was okay, but not billion dollars good, and definitely not 3 billion dollars good. But it's a good fit.

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.

Skyway

I suspect Disney is using the same smoke and mirrors calling Avatar a "land" in the same way Universal labeled WWOHP a "land".

It's not really a "land".

More like a glorified World Showcase pavillion.

Since you can't just plunk down Avatar in Africa or Asia (which are also barely big and diverse enough to call "lands") I'm sure it will have it's own entrance.

But I can't see Disney doing much more than an E-Ticket, a C-Ticket, a restaurant, and a shop or two, just like WWOHP.

stitchcastle

Stitch carries no theme relevant to Animal Kingdom, nor does Alien. And neither of them offer anything with too much more atmospheric value than Alien.

Avatar has the theme of conservation, which, contrary to the beliefs of some, is among the park's core values.

This isn't about dissecting into the details here. This is big picture stuff. On the grand scale, Avatar fits where Stitch and Alien don't. And again, it's a beautiful world.

I don't love the movie. It was okay, but not billion dollars good, and definitely not 3 billion dollars good. But it's a good fit.

exactly, fictional aliens from another planet don't fit in with Animal Kingdom. Neither does all of Pandora. You don't even get the whole conservation message unless you watch the movie and before that at face value, it's a movie about aliens on another planet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom