AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

stitchcastle

Afraid you will have to settle...it's a go. :wave: Being a self-proclaimed Disney nerd, I am sure you won't be boycotting Disney over this. So...maybe just get used to the idea. Maybe watch the movie..

oh I'm not boycotting Disney, I'm just sticking with Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Resort. And I've seen the movie thank you, I found it to be quite mediocre. Enjoy your Avatar-land. I'll go hang out at DisneySea instead.

andre85

yeah but that's also saying that the Avatar animals are really just animals and not part of a different planet, you're equating fictional animals that are completely made up with anthophomorphized cartoons taken from real animals. How on earth did you even connect those two?

I'm not sure if you're thinking straight anymore...you're the one who made the comparison, saying it makes total sense for the talking Lion King characters to be in Animal Kingdom because they're "fictional characters based on real animals"
and I was pointing out that the wild life in Avatar fits that exact same description.

You're the one who connected the two, not I.

invader

Cameron is a man of big ideas and is a perfectionist. He'll demand excellence. The setting of the movie lends itself to what could possibly be some amazing themeing!

James Cameron, Joe Rohde, and money. I can't think of a more perfect trio.

RadioHead

if that's the case then what makes Disney any different than your average run of the mill Six Flags?

Really did you even read a single world I posted, or did you just hit the quote button, without even thinking of a response.

Ugh.

This is what makes Disney, disney.

tokyoMysteriousIsland02.jpg

Port%2BDiscovery.jpg

800px-Tokyo_DisneySea_-_26.jpg

american_waterfront.jpg

amwmsc047.jpg

P01-1.jpg

This is what makes Six Flags, Six Flags

2669.jpg

Need I post more? When Disney wants to go ALL FREAKIN out on there theming, then they basically create hollywood replicas.

ChristianG

oh I'm not boycotting Disney, I'm just sticking with Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Resort. And I've seen the movie thank you, I found it to be quite mediocre. Enjoy your Avatar-land. I'll go hang out at DisneySea instead.

Alright. Goodbye. :wave:

As for this announcement, I'm not too sure what to think about it yet. It sounds exciting and promising, I just need to know more about what they are planning for the area, which will obviously take some to be developed.

stitchcastle

Need I post more? When Disney wants to go ALL FREAKIN out on there theming, then they basically create hollywood replicas.

You're taking everything I say out of context, what's wrong with you? You're the one who was all talk about just enjoying individual well done attractions without worrying about the over-all theme, which is what's happening. And the same kind of thinking looks to be what's behind the design of most run-of-the-mill theme parks.

the pictures you posted of DisneySea only clearly illustrates why it's important to keep a coherent over-all vision for a park instead of having wildly different themes all over the place.

DonaldDoleWhip

How does Aladdin fit at DisneySea? Or their Indiana Jones attraction, or Raging Spirits, or Tower of Terror, or Toy Story Mania, or Journey to the Center of the Earth.

I guess they don't fit in the strict sense of being connected to the sea, but rather they fit DisneySea's overarching message of adventure and exotic locales...just like Avatar relates to DAK in the sense of nature and conservation.

RadioHead

So your now boycotting Disney World simply for Avatar? :brick:

Christ Almighty your a feckin riot. I'm done. It's obvious Avatar raped your mother, thus the deep scorn you have towards this expansion.

I feckin' hate Dinoland, thinks it ruins the WHOLE beautiful theme of AK. I mean hell it's a cheap carnival land, in a land of beautiful mountains, and forests.

But I'm not skipping all of AK just because of it. I simply move on and ignore it.

It honestly sounds like your creating controversy for the sake of creating controversy.

ChristianG

How does Aladdin fit at DisneySea? Or their Indiana Jones attraction, or Raging Spirits, or Tower of Terror, or Toy Story Mania, or Journey to the Center of the Earth.

I guess they don't fit in the strict sense of being connected to the sea, but rather they fit DisneySea's overarching message of adventure and exotic locales...just like Avatar relates to DAK in the sense of nature and conservation.

He speaks the truth ^^

RSoxNo1

Something worth pointing out to a lot of you who are concerned about the "fit" with DAK. If this thing turns out to be an absolute stunning attraction, which it could very well be with the talent involved, you are not going to care that its connection to Animal Kingdom is a stretch. This is the direction they are going, so we have to embrace that and look forward to some big investment into Animal Kingdom. Today is very good news in my opinion.

Yes, those of us with half a brain realize this. Soarin' and Splash Mountain are perfect examples of great attractions that don't logically fit in their current location.

Wrong...Doesn't Kali River Rapids teach conservation of the land those animals inhabit? It uses an example of deforestation to show what can happen to animal habitat.

Avatar is about Humans trying to displace (peacefully or forcefully) a species so that we can get at the natural resources hiding directly below their village.

Last I checked those animals we're all trying to save live outside. Humans are constantly changing the landscape around them to suit their own needs.

Conservation is certainly a message at the Animal Kingdom, but I feel that Kali falls short on that message.

Well I'm very passionate about Animal Kingdom, it's my favorite park in all of WDW, precisely because it's so far managed to keep its over-all theme largely intact. This current development will signal the end to that.

I'm very passionate about the Animal Kingdom as well, but I do recognize it's shortcomings being a lack of rides. I still haven't fully digested this yet. Part of it doesn't feel right, but honestly the next direction for that park was always a tough decision. The wholly magnificent land of Pandora lends itself to a fantastic addition to the park.

You say that, but Beastly Kingdom never had any fully developed block-buster attractions. Just internet hype of "coasters" and dragons. Not saying Beastly Kingdom couldn't have been good, but so little was ever officially released on the subject, it seems impossible to say it could be preferred.

Again, I think it's reasonable to assume that the complaints we have currently about Dinoland could exist if they built Beastly Kingdom instead. Today we would then be clamoring for a Dinosaur/Extinct Animal themed land instead of a mythical animals land.

The walk to conservation Station would be insane. It is about 1 3/4 miles to walk from the entrance to CS and back. It is only about 1 1/2 miles for the Epcot entrance and a loop around WS and back to the entrance.

The size of the expansion plot there is huge, but they would have to do do something with the train (possibly remove) since I cannot imagine arriving in Pandora on the Orient Express. Then the service road to Asia cannot be removed so maybe a bridge can be built for the road?

The easy road is the CMM plot. I really hope that they do not go the easy way!

If they use that plot of land I think it has to be for live animals or a large scale nighttime show. It would be beneficial for future animal expansion to have the animal facilities located to those facilities in Africa and Asia. If they were to use that plot I would guess they wouldn't use all of it.

To get there they have to either change the elevations of the train or remove it entirely as I doubt they'd get rid of Maharajah Jungle Trek.

Thrill

Aliens are not animals; real, extinct or fantasy

An animal is a living, heterotrophic, eukaryotic, usually multi-cellular organism.

Avatar never delved into microbiology, so there's no telling whether they are eukaryotic organisms, or even composed of cells, but for all intents and purposes, the Na'vi and the other animals there would be considered animals, taxonomically speaking.

FlaMel

I think this is very exciting. Highest grossing movie of all time will equal interest and excitement in the project. I believe there are probably other properties out there that might immediately viewed as a better fit...but they are also safer choices. This is a property that will cause WDI to stretch and grow. James Cameron will insist on creative approval of the representation of the world he created. This man created the Terminator series and Titanic as well as Avatar, he is obviously a creative force with big ideas. Like the idea or not, it's coming. When you are Iger or Staggs, you get to pick, until then....

Oh, I also think that this is the first in a line of announcements that will be coming from the Team Disney Burbank and WDI Glendale executive offices that will usher in an era of renewed Disney resorts development.
:king::xmas::ROFLOL::confused::rolleyes:ocry::lol::lookaroun:(:dazzle:
PS my 5 year old daughter thought all these smilies would be the perfect accent to my post:)

BigNorm

You know, I've been knocking around these forums for the better part of a decade and never, and I'm thinking back to the General Grizz/Save Disney days, can I remember such a polarizing topic. I. Am. Stunned. Highly entertained, but stunned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom