AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

stitchcastle

How does Aladdin fit at DisneySea? Or their Indiana Jones attraction, or Raging Spirits, or Tower of Terror, or Toy Story Mania, or Journey to the Center of the Earth.

I guess they don't fit in the strict sense of being connected to the sea, but rather they fit DisneySea's overarching message of adventure and exotic locales...just like Avatar relates to DAK in the sense of nature and conservation.

Aladdin fits because it's in the Arabian Coast, Raging Spirits fits because it;s in Lost River Delta, Tower of Terror fits because it's in American Waterfront, as does Toy Story Mania that will be located in a boardwalk type area, Journey to the Center of the Earth because its in Mysterious Island. All the lands of which are ports of call that fit in with the over all theme of DisneySea. You're going on a journey through the oceans and seas. I feel stupid just having to explain that.

Captain Chaos

However, Kali River Rapids has had this message since it opened with no one commenting about it. There is nothing animal related about that attraction, purely the message of conservation and protecting the land.

Because it isn't something these people personally hate.. A few peopel here dislike Avatar, therefore, no matter how much Avatar fits into Ak, they will continue to not see the match... And if they do eventually see it, they will STILL want to make everyone else seem wrong because of their personal dislike...

I agree LOTR would have been a better choice.

Avatar does't fit but LOTR does??? How exactly??

Funny, I've seen the movie, saw it twice in theaters and completely understand why it would never fit in with Animal Kingdom.

A lot of the people praising its addition also admit to never having seen the movie.

Wait, you hated the movie so much you saw it twice in the theater??? Hmm, for a movie EVERYONE hated, you saw it twice... And seeing it twice makes you an expert on it???

Funny, I saw the movie only once in the theater.. However, I bought it on Blu Ray and have watched it numerous times... I completely understand why it actually DOES fit in Animal Kingdom...

And conversly, there are more people on here saying they never saw it, yet they hate and depise everything to do with Avatar and hate the new addition coming in a few years.. Why aren't you calling these people out?? Cause they fit your agenda???

Yes, everyone hated it, which is why it scored 83% on RottenTomatoes from Critics and 92% from the audience...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

Shhhh Andre, how dare you post facts!!!! Makes arguments that everyone hated AVATAR look foolish and based on nothing but personal dislike of a movie that MAJORITY obviously liked..

yes because the people of the himalayas have belief systems devoted to the Yeti and to them its a real animal that has shaped their way of life. It's not the same as animals in a movie that are explicitly known to be made up.

You do know that there is a belief system in the world that aliens exist right?? Right down to even saying aliens helped build the pyramids of Egypt... To a lot of people, aliensa are real... So aliens are pretty much a part of every society folklore... Regardless if aliens in a movie are made up, the idea here is CONSERVATION... and because of that, Avatar fits perfectly... Regardless if you think conservatrion is a theme or not, Avatar fits in a theme park where conservation plays an important role in the over all THEME...

RadioHead

You're taking everything I say out of context, what's wrong with you? You're the one who was all talk about just enjoying individual well done attractions without worrying about the over-all theme, which is what's happening. And the same kind of thinking looks to be what's behind the design of most run-of-the-mill theme parks.

the pictures you posted of DisneySea only clearly illustrates why it's important to keep a coherent over-all vision for a park instead of having wildly different themes all over the place.

All I'm saying is that Disney (budget allowing of course) can create such a beautiful land with Pandora, that makes the CGI land in Avatar come to life.

Also have you ever even been to Disney Sea?

Because this;

800px-Tokyo_DisneySea_-_26.jpg

Looks a HELLUVA lot different than this;

tds105.jpg

andre85

You know, I've been knocking around these forums for the better part of a decade and never, and I'm thinking back to the General Grizz/Save Disney days, can I remember such a polarizing topic. I. Am. Stunned. Highly entertained, but stunned.

That actually made me stop visiting this site for several years. I'm hoping I don't have to do that again.

JustInTime

oh I'm not boycotting Disney, I'm just sticking with Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Resort. And I've seen the movie thank you, I found it to be quite mediocre. Enjoy your Avatar-land. I'll go hang out at DisneySea instead.
if you are not going to disney world anymore, then why lurk on DISNEY WORLD forums?

RadioHead

didn't you say you were done however many posts ago? why can't you just let me have my say without being a prick about it?

Because your being illogical.

You can easily say that you dislike the concept, but will wait to see more before further judgement.

Instead your all like; This idea sucks man, the movie sucks man, this has no relation whatso ever man (even though it does, but regardless), I'm done with Disney World man, blah, blah, blah.

YOUR acting immature, and irrational simply due to the fact you HATE the movie. We get it, you hated it, to you this announcement is probably like a Teenage Male virgin hearing that there first lay will be with a 70 year old grandma.

Your rushing judgment like a Tom Cat rushes to a female cat during the early dews of spring.:hurl:

Bairstow

So how much of this park do we think is going to be outdoors?

I'm wondering if putting half the thing inside a giant day-for-night pavillion might work, like the Mexico Pavilion.

I'm thinking of the queue for the E.T. adventure at Universal, the indoor day-for-night redwood forest area. It's really a lovely bit of theming, and on a larger scale, with multiple levels, the concept could be quite spectacular. If they're going to be making thousands and thousands of fake plastic plants to resemble an alien landscape, it's going to look much better if they put it somewhere where they can control the lighting.
et.jpg

menamechris

if you are not going to disney world anymore, then why lurk on DISNEY WORLD forums?

Exactly, except to cause trouble. He does, after all, have links in his signature to his opinions about how WDW should be fixed. Apparently, every single park is in trouble. He can just add this to the list... I guess we should always consider the source, right?

DonaldDoleWhip

Aladdin fits because it's in the Arabian Coast, Raging Spirits fits because it;s in Lost River Delta, Tower of Terror fits because it's in American Waterfront, as does Toy Story Mania that will be located in a boardwalk type area, Journey to the Center of the Earth because its in Mysterious Island. All the lands of which are ports of call that fit in with the over all theme of DisneySea. You're going on a journey through the oceans and seas. I feel stupid just having to explain that.
Obviously the overarching lands relate to the sea, but the examples themselves do not. Almost nothing in Aladdin is related to the sea (since the action could easily take place in the middle of a kingdom in the dessert), nothing in Tower of Terror relates to the sea, Toy Story has nothing to do with the ocean at all, and Journey to the Center to the Earth obviously takes place underground, not by the sea. The lands might have names that connect to water, but the attractions themselves do not relate to "sea." I feel stupid just having to explain that.

Seriously, Toy Story and Jasmine's Flying Carpets fit in DisneySea, but Avatar doesn't fit in Animal Kingdom? :ROFLOL:

the pictures you posted of DisneySea only clearly illustrates why it's important to keep a coherent over-all vision for a park instead of having wildly different themes all over the place.
:ROFLOL:

You're implying that Animal Kingdom is wonderful and cohesive as it is, and Avatar will change that. Clearly, there's an overarching vision that unites Africa (which celebrates both conservation and African culture), Camp Minnie Mickey (an Adirondack retreat where cartoon rodents go camping right next to a celebration of African animals), and Dinoland (where you can relive America's tacky carnival past, dine in a trailer, time travel, and enjoy the musical story of a clownfish who lives in Australia's great barrier reef and goes to modern-day Sydney). Dinoland just makes so much sense - it's dinosaurs, they're animals! Obviously! Well, I'd rather see lush, immersive Pandora than a tacky roadside carnival.

stitchcastle

Wait, you hated the movie so much you saw it twice in the theater??? Hmm, for a movie EVERYONE hated, you saw it twice... And seeing it twice makes you an expert on it???

Funny, I saw the movie only once in the theater.. However, I bought it on Blu Ray and have watched it numerous times... I completely understand why it actually DOES fit in Animal Kingdom...
And conversly, there are more people on here saying they never saw it, yet they hate and depise everything to do with Avatar and hate the new addition coming in a few years.. Why aren't you calling these people out?? Cause they fit your agenda???
yeah i saw it twice, i gave it a fair shot. I can definitively say that I didn't like it that doesn't mean I don't think it should be the focus of a theme park attraction. I've said numerous times that I would not mind it going to any of the other parks.

and i've already explained numerous times why it shouldn't go into Animal Kingdom you're all too focused on how wrong I am with everything to really think. I'm not calling the other people out because you all keep singling me out, so I have to respond to your replies and so far all you keep saying is "it's about conservation!" that's still not a definitive theme that fits with the the theme and story of Animal Kingdom as a whole.

You do know that there is a belief system in the world that aliens exist right?? Right down to even saying aliens helped build the pyramids of Egypt... To a lot of people, aliensa are real... So aliens are pretty much a part of every society folklore... Regardless if aliens in a movie are made up, the idea here is CONSERVATION... and because of that, Avatar fits perfectly... Regardless if you think conservatrion is a theme or not, Avatar fits in a theme park where conservation plays an important role in the over all THEME...

if an idea like conservation could pass off as a theme then why not build a red cross attraction? or a Global Warming attraction? You can't just connect two different properties together just because they share the same idea.

rct247

I've read over half of this thread. I think my opinion and thoughts aren't going to be anything new to add to the discussion, but I'll go ahead an share my feelings.

I'm still on the fence with how I feel. Pandora is a beautiful place that I'd love to visit in person, but the movie Avatar isn't lasting in my mind. I don't even feel the need to rewatch it now after I've heard the announcement. I think the natural landscapes will fit in perfect with Animal Kingdom and the sci-fi slate will be interesting to intertwine with a park that is so heavily slated toward Adventure and History. Again, I can't wait to see all the details and the unique creatures I will get to see (animatronic or not), but I'm not thrilled with it being Avatar.

From a business perspective, it's good that Universal didn't grab up this property. The announcement and time frame is good to combat Harry Potter World, rumors of a Transformers attraction at Universal, and also the production of the two sequels coming out. I just hope that there is staying power with this property, because I already feel that the Avatar fad has passed. Another good is how well the movie grossed worldwide, but also you don't see kids really that interested in Avatar toys and merchandise.

So, that all said. I wish it wasn't Avatar, but I'm am very excited step foot on Pandora and see how amazing the environment will look. I'll end on the note that I hate Harry Potter. I only watched the first film and refused to see any other movies or read the books despite them being popular and highly recommended. It just wasn't my cup of tea. That said, I love stepping foot into the Wizzarding World of Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure. Forbidden Journey is amazing. The details are awesome, and I love both Butterbeer and Pumpkin Juice. So bring on the much needed expansion of Disney's Animal Kingdom. Not exactly what I had in mind (I would have created a South America themed land with an Up attraction.), but it's exciting news nonetheless.

RSoxNo1

Q & A is up: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/answering-your-questions-about-avatar-at-disney-parks/

I’d like to thank all of the Disney Parks Blog followers who left comments or sent in questions regarding our AVATAR announcement today. We got a lot of great questions and while I won’t be able to answer all of them, I’ll do my best to get to as many as possible.

1) TIMING

We got quite a few questions about the timing of our first AVATAR experience at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, including this one from Adam, “Any idea when the experience will be open to guests?”

We’ve just begun the design phase on our Animal Kingdom project and we expect to begin construction in 2013. From start to finish, a project of this size and scope takes about 5 years to design and build. We can’t give you an exact date but we know that when it’s complete, it’s going to be a truly unforgettable experience.

2) IS THIS A PARK EXPANSION OR WILL “LAND” REPLACE SOMETHING?

Several of you asked a similar question, including Doug from Utah – “Will it replace any existing attractions in Animal Kingdom, or will it be built in a new parcel of land within the park’s boundaries?”

Well, Doug, we’re just beginning the Blue Sky process so I don’t have much to share about how we are going to execute our vision for our first AVATAR land but we’re focused on this being an important addition to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. I look forward to sharing more details as our plans progress.

3) SPECIFIC ATTRACTIONS

Jenna from Winnetka, Ill., asks, “What types of attractions will be in AVATAR land?”

This was hands-down one of the most popular questions we got and understandably so. While we’re still in the very early stages of design and planning, we expect this land to be anchored by multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements. Our AVATAR lands will give guests the chance to see, hear and touch the world of Pandora and we can’t wait to dive in with James Cameron and his team as we create new experiences that will delight and thrill our guests.

Answering Your Questions About AVATAR at Disney Parks

4) FILM IS PG-13, HOW DOES THIS MATCH W/FAMILY-FRIENDLY PARK?

Some of you, including Logan in Carnesville, Ga., asked about whether AVATAR was a good fit for a family-friendly brand like Disney.

Thanks, Logan, I appreciate your candor in asking this question. At its core, AVATAR is a film that embraces strong, positive themes of family, loyalty, living in harmony with nature and belief in oneself – all values that we share at The Walt Disney Company. You can be sure that these are the same themes that we will explore throughout our AVATAR lands. They will be places where friends and families can spend time together getting lost in a fantasy world, one of the true hallmarks of any Disney theme park experience. And with two sequels in the works, we feel this is a creative property whose potential is limitless.

5) AVATAR AT OTHER DISNEY PARKS?

We got several questions about whether there will be AVATAR experiences in parks/sites other than Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Kyle from Ontario asks, “Are there plans to add Avatar attractions at any other Disney parks?”

Well, Kyle, the only land we are announcing today is at Walt Disney World Resort but AVATAR is a possibility at any of our other locations. The first film AVATAR is a franchise with massive global appeal and its success at the box office both inside and outside of the U.S. – I should also note that as we determine our future locations, we look forward to working with our international theme park partners as our plans evolve.

Answering Your Questions About AVATAR at Disney Parks

6) ATTRACTION THEMING

Many of you, including Justin from Orlando, want to know, “How does AVATAR fit in with the Disney theme?” and more specifically, how does it fit in with the Animal Kingdom?

As I mentioned in a previous answer, AVATAR is a uniquely powerful franchise that has global appeal with audiences of all ages. With its spectacular settings, intriguing characters, imaginative creatures and strong themes of family and loyalty, it’s a great fit for the Disney brand and our parks.

Disney’s Animal Kingdom is the perfect place for our first AVATAR land because at its core, the park gives guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in whole new ways. With AVATAR, we’ve found the perfect opportunity to let our guests explore one of the most compelling mythical worlds ever conceived. Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR.

7) WHY BUY SOMEONE ELSE’S IDEA INSTEAD OF LETTING WDI COME UP WITH SOMETHING?

Some of you asked why we would choose to collaborate with an outside partner rather than use our own Disney characters and stories to expand the parks. We are as committed as ever to creating attractions and entertainment around favorite Disney characters and stories – with Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park and our expansion of Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park being two great examples. At the same time, we like to look beyond our own walls at non-Disney properties, like STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES, creating some of our most popular attractions. At the end of the day, we are focused on creating a great experience for our guests and I truly believe that this unique partnership with James Cameron and AVATAR gives us an entire world of imaginative creatures, fascinating locations and intriguing characters with which to do that.

JustInTime

Exactly, except to cause trouble. He does, after all, have links in his signature to his opinions about how WDW should be fixed. Apparently, every single park is in trouble. He can just add this to the list... I guess we should always consider the source, right?

So Disney has lost Stitchcastle....who would not have went anyway. I see it as a win-win. Btw, a Stitch Castle sounds about as bad as Stitch's Great escape.

stitchcastle

Because your being illogical.

You can easily say that you dislike the concept, but will wait to see more before further judgement.

Instead your all like; This idea sucks man, the movie sucks man, this has no relation whatso ever man (even though it does, but regardless), I'm done with Disney World man, blah, blah, blah.

YOUR acting immature, and irrational simply due to the fact you HATE the movie. We get it, you hated it, to you this announcement is probably like a Teenage Male virgin hearing that there first lay will be with a 70 year old grandma.

Your rushing judgment like a Tom Cat rushes to a female cat during the early dews of spring.:hurl:

Oh gee I'm sorry i'm not doing what you want me to, for heaven's sake why should I have the free will to not follow in other people's footsteps.

And I've stated multiple times that my issue with this is not with the movie but with the fact that it's gonna be in Animal Kingdom. I could care less if it popped up in the Studios or EPCOT or even MK, where you can find an area where it would thematically fit in.

You're the one acting all immature starting to bring out such juvenile tactics as sexual metaphors for no reason along with taking little things I say out of context and blowing them out of proportion masquerading as valid arguments.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom