AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

menamechris

if that's the case then what makes Disney any different than your average run of the mill Six Flags?

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is a Six Flags idea. Incredible things can happen regarding theme park innovation and attractions, but you won't notice because you seem to be too wrapped up in it being centered around Avatar. It's a shame really...for you.

WDITrent

I hate the idea of Avatar in the parks, but I love the idea of James Cameron being involved with Disney. He's a man of big scale, big budget productions. Just what TDO needs coming at them.

stitchcastle

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is a Six Flags idea. Incredible things can happen regarding theme park innovation and attractions, but you won't notice because you seem to be too wrapped up in it being centered around Avatar. It's a shame really...for you.

yeah i'm sorry I'm not settling for just another big name movie property being shoe horned into a park it doesn't belong to. That's a real shame.

andre85

so now you're saying that Avatar is not set on an alien planet?

Not at all.

You said "alright that's just silly, those are fictional characters based on real animals."

I responded that the animals in Avatar are fictitious, like Lion King, and based on real animals, like Lion King.

Get it now?

stitchcastle

an·i·mal/ˈanəməl/
Noun: A living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli.

a dictionary? really? you can do better than that. Or...well... maybe you can't.

fbp

I haven't read the thread yet. I will. I wanted to post before negative posts taint my excitement.

This is great news. I'm dancing around excited. I don't even like Avatar. Didn't like the movie. It doesn't matter.

Cameron is a man of big ideas and is a perfectionist. He'll demand excellence. The setting of the movie lends itself to what could possibly be some amazing themeing!

Very excited. Very excited.

Sweet!

I love how it was out of no where too. I didn't read anything about this, anywhere.

Double sweet!

menamechris

yeah i'm sorry I'm not settling for just another big name movie property being shoe horned into a park it doesn't belong to. That's a real shame.

Afraid you will have to settle...it's a go. :wave: Being a self-proclaimed Disney nerd, I am sure you won't be boycotting Disney over this. So...maybe just get used to the idea. Maybe watch the movie..

stitchcastle

Not at all.

You said "alright that's just silly, those are fictional characters based on real animals."

I responded that the animals in Avatar are fictitious, like Lion King, and based on real animals, like Lion King.

Get it now?

yeah but that's also saying that the Avatar animals are really just animals and not part of a different planet, you're equating fictional animals that are completely made up with anthophomorphized cartoons taken from real animals. How on earth did you even connect those two?

Wow!!

I woke up from my afternoon nap to a phone call for an interview for an AMAZING job (i just finished my BA in June), and THIS announcement!! :sohappy:

That being said, I haven't seen Avatar, but Netflix will be sending it to me shortly! :lol: The combo of James Cameron and WDI should be unstoppable.....

Lee

Adventurer
Wow...nearly impossible to keep up with this discussion...

wonder why this was not announced at D23?
As I said earlier, it wasn't ready. The ink on the deal is practically still wet.

...sure the message does but the theme doesn't.
Good enough. That should end the argument, right there.

Beastly... Good for it's time but not as epic or as thorough as Potterland, let alone Avland. Avland... Can I take the credit for that??? :D
Yes, you can.
Feel free to make Avland merchandise and sell to all...

Lee: does this kill Tron movies and / or attractions?
Nope. No connection.
Tron is still on track for Shanghai, with Avland on the short list for potential future expansions (along with an Everest clone).

A project like this that is so early in development will only be handled at the very top of the company, and those people don't talk. The leaks occur when you start bringing in outside consultants and contractors.
Not always.
I heard it from a rank and file imagineer.;)

Are people actually posting that because an "Avatar" land is coming to Animal Kingdom, they will stop visiting the park altogether, even though it used to be their favorite?

Unbelievable.
Ain't it?:hammer:
We are not Disney's core audience, we are their tiny core fanbase, BIG difference.
VERY true. This will be big with the general public. Only "fanboys" will have any issue with it at all.
Very smart business move.

People hated the stupid movie when they saw it in the theater.
Rash generalization. I didn't hate it. Maybe you did...:shrug:

As for why it was announced today, on a random Tuesday in September...
I have heard two opinions from inside.
1) It was about to leak very wide and they wanted to get out in front of it.
(If I had believed my source it would have been a thread here weeks ago.:brick:)
2) Third quarter numbers will be coming out soon, and are expected to be a bit soft. This should help counter that with some positive news.

I don't really have a problem with it going into AK. Quality is the main thing, and I fully expect this to have plenty of that.
Personally, I gave up on being a theme "nazi" back when Stitch invaded MK and started "Toonmorrowland" and when Nemo moved into Epcot.
Now I just take a deep breath and look at the big picture.

And as for Joe R....
I assure he is happy. This gives him what all imagineers desperately desire: gauranteed work for the next five or six years.

Somewhere, he's doing this right now...
RohdeCartoon.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom