AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

rreading

A couple of questions: if there is water falling off of the mountains, are they intending it to land in pools of water? It would be nice for the water to dissolve into the air as in the movie, but clearly that seems difficult.

Second, at what time to they open up FP+ reservations each day?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A couple of questions: if there is water falling off of the mountains, are they intending it to land in pools of water? It would be nice for the water to dissolve into the air as in the movie, but clearly that seems difficult.

Second, at what time to they open up FP+ reservations each day?

Yes, they will fall into pools. I believe FP+ opens 7:00 AM Eastern time.

Trey Cullifer

As for FP for people staying on property. If my planned day for Animal Kingdom in May 29th, what is your reccomendation for getting those FPs on that date 60 days out.

PizzaPlanet

As for FP for people staying on property. If my planned day for Animal Kingdom in May 29th, what is your reccomendation for getting those FPs on that date 60 days out.
What I'm planning on doing this summer is getting FPs for both rides later in the day, but getting to the park early and riding them first thing in the morning as well. This way I can ride the new attractions twice with a relatively short wait.

Disney Dad 3000

What I'm planning on doing this summer is getting FPs for both rides later in the day, but getting to the park early and riding them first thing in the morning as well. This way I can ride the new attractions twice with a relatively short wait.

That will be the tricky thing. As much as I want to FP these whenever we head down to avoid 120 min wait, I also want to get a chance to experience the full queue.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I wonder if there is a way we could consolidate the Avatar conversation in this sub forum? Recently, when they there is some new big piece of news, like the River Journey video, it get's posted in a bunch of threads. I think the three main threads can server different purposes, but they all seem to have become a catch for Avatar discussion.

PorterRedkey

I wonder if there is a way we could consolidate the Avatar conversation in this sub forum? Recently, when they there is some new big piece of news, like the River Journey video, it get's posted in a bunch of threads. I think the three main threads can server different purposes, but they all seem to have become a catch for Avatar discussion.
I agree. I wasn't sure where to post that video. I thought that this thread "AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom" would be the place since it was a preview of what was coming to AK.

Maybe just an "Avatar latest news" thread to encompass everything?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I agree. I wasn't sure where to post that video. I thought that this thread "AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom" would be the place since it was a preview of what was coming to AK.

Maybe just an "Avatar latest news" thread?

AVATAR land construction progress could be limited to just things like permits, construction photos, aerials or other reports on the actual progress of construction. I think AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom, and AVATAR land - the specifics are the tricky ones. In an ideal world, the first one should be for discussion of opinions and speculation on the land and the other for actual details that Disney has released. The challenge is getting people to post appropriately so we don't have to constantly be getting moderators involved.

wdwgreek

AVATAR land construction progress could be limited to just things like permits, construction photos, aerials or other reports on the actual progress of construction. I think AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom, and AVATAR land - the specifics are the tricky ones. In an ideal world, the first one should be for discussion of opinions and speculation on the land and the other for actual details that Disney has released. The challenge is getting people to post appropriately so we don't have to constantly be getting moderators involved.

Posting appropriately? You mean a post on how I hope they won't serve Jofferys Coffee in avatarland/ Pandora doesn't belong here? darn you and your desire for logically categorizing conversation topics.

PorterRedkey

I posted the latest commercial over in the "AVATAR land - the Specifics" thread. Not much new. @danlb_2000 is that where you think it should go since it shared actually details?

Slowjack

Several people are making suggestions like this in various long topics. I understand where this desire comes from, but I think it's a mistake to try this.

For all of us, any of these topics contains a mix of posts in three categories: "good stuff," "unobjectionable but not that useful," and "oh no, not this again." We would all love to see more of the first and less of the last, but there's no good way to achieve that. The truth is, all conversation is like this. It's full of filler. As Fran Lebowitz once wrote, the opposite of talking isn't listening--it's waiting. We can't separate out factual posts from opinion posts. First, because that would be a huge fun-killer, to be always telling people that they should hop over to Thread B to discuss the post they are reading on Thread A. Second, because what is opinion and what is fact, on this board, is often in the eye of the beholder. When you (@danlb_2000) post a permit, for example, you often state what you think it is about. Is that your speculation, and should it do somewhere else than the post of the permit itself? Plus a lot of it has to do with the source. Consider the sentence: "We might see a new attraction there sooner rather than later." If that appears in a post by @marni1971, it means one thing, but if it appears in a post from almost anyone else, it is probably pure conjecture.

While we should all be diligent in our defense against rampant thread drift (and I know I'm as guilty as anyone of getting sucked into another Fastpass discussion), I think we have to allow things to go their own way and accept that once a topic gets beyond two thousand posts, it's just a coffee shop full of conversation.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Several people are making suggestions like this in various long topics. I understand where this desire comes from, but I think it's a mistake to try this.

For all of us, any of these topics contains a mix of posts in three categories: "good stuff," "unobjectionable but not that useful," and "oh no, not this again." We would all love to see more of the first and less of the last, but there's no good way to achieve that. The truth is, all conversation is like this. It's full of filler. As Fran Lebowitz once wrote, the opposite of talking isn't listening--it's waiting. We can't separate out factual posts from opinion posts. First, because that would be a huge fun-killer, to be always telling people that they should hop over to Thread B to discuss the post they are reading on Thread A. Second, because what is opinion and what is fact, on this board, is often in the eye of the beholder. When you (@danlb_2000) post a permit, for example, you often state what you think it is about. Is that your speculation, and should it do somewhere else than the post of the permit itself? Plus a lot of it has to do with the source. Consider the sentence: "We might see a new attraction there sooner rather than later." If that appears in a post by @marni1971, it means one thing, but if it appears in a post from almost anyone else, it is probably pure conjecture.

While we should all be diligent in our defense against rampant thread drift (and I know I'm as guilty as anyone of getting sucked into another Fastpass discussion), I think we have to allow things to go their own way and accept that once a topic gets beyond two thousand posts, it's just a coffee shop full of conversation.

I fully agree that there is no way to really stop this. I just brought it up to raise some awareness so maybe we can reduce some of the cases where, for example,. Disney releases a new video and it get's posted to three or four different threads. I find that counter productive since we then end up with the same discussion happening in multiple threads.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom