AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

csmat99

You win our applause for being right.
Jag5k.gif
darn and to think I was going to win the privilege to buy a cabana in MK at 2% off.

csmat99

Because everything is...

Disney VS. Universal

:rolleyes:
No not everything but the frustration of many people that has seen Disney choose not to do anything, then when they did decide to build new things or replace things it has been spread out as long as possible. As someone has mentioned the original announcement for Avatar was made when people were buying a brand new Apple 4s. Also, the budget for this land was slashed and the insiders can confirm a major ride was taken out. But over that same time period prices for everything has gone up, ticketed events have gone up. Service in many areas has gone down or not has been as good in years past. But we got two parking garages and a shopping mall.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Also, the budget for this land was slashed and the insiders can confirm a major ride was taken out.

Budgets were the opposite of slashed. That's kind of the problem, they've continued to swell to preserve what they set out to build.

I won't defend the timeline, but they were always clear from the the get go. The day it was announced Staggs outlined it was very early in the proposal phases and typically would take 5 years...

We’ve just begun the design phase on our Animal Kingdom project and we expect to begin construction in 2013. From start to finish, a project of this size and scope takes about 5 years to design and build. We can’t give you an exact date but we know that when it’s complete, it’s going to be a truly unforgettable experience.

It's taking 5 and a half in the end. Which is the industry standard for things announced far too soon. From Potter in USH (which was already designed no less) to Nintendo.

The third ride didn't survive the very early design phase when it was clear WDI couldn't build it for their generous budget. Toy Story budgets were slashed, but initial Pandora proposals exceeded budgets. Slight, but important difference.

Many of these problems harken back to the ineptitude of people fortunately let go from the company. From Staggs to Vaughn.

Mike S

Budgets were the opposite of slashed. That's kind of the problem, they've continued to swell to preserve what they set out to build.

I won't defend the timeline, but they were always clear from the the get go. The day it was announced Staggs outlined it was very early in the proposal phases and typically would take 5 years...

It's taking 5 and a half in the end. Which is the industry standard for things announced far too soon. From Potter in USH (which was already designed no less) to Nintendo.

The third ride didn't survive the very early design phase when it was clear WDI couldn't build it for their generous budget. Toy Story budgets were slashed, but initial Pandora proposals exceeded budgets. Slight, but important difference.

Many of these problems harken back to the ineptitude of people fortunately let go from the company. From Staggs to Vaughn.
To be perfectly fair if the rumors of 2019 for USJ end up true it'll be 4 years for Nintendo to open after the initial announcement which actually didn't specify any parks even though we all still knew where it would end up.

RSoxNo1

I haven't been, but I'd argue that American Waterfront is better than American Waterfront. I mean AW has Tot, Toy Story an amazing Waterfront with a harbor with incredible ships, a New York City area etc. it's also massive. I'd probably put Africa at #4, but I could spend hours there and I could see it higher. DLP's Frontierland is so so so good too.

From purely thematic purposes (not including rides) I'd rank them as follows:

1 Mysterious Island
2 American Waterfront
3 Frontierland DLP
4 Africa
5 Diagonal Alley
The differentiation for me is that Africa has my favorite ride and favorite show currently playing in any Disney park. From purely thematic standpoint independent of rides, Mysterious Island is truly unbelievable. I haven't experienced Frontierland at DLP, but all of these areas are likely coinflips and totally personal preference.

Daveeeeed

The differentiation for me is that Africa has my favorite ride and favorite show currently playing in any Disney park. From purely thematic standpoint independent of rides, Mysterious Island is truly unbelievable. I haven't experienced Frontierland at DLP, but all of these areas are likely coinflips and totally personal preference.
Exactly. Just like the best Pixar films, the best lands are all personal preference, but if you like Dinoland more than Africa there's a problem:D

Slowjack

Unfortunately no lol.

I highly recommend reading the following articles. It will hopefully shed some new light onto Dinoland for the majority of you.

If anything at least read this one ;) http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2009/08/chester_and_hesters_dinorama.html
http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2012/10/animal_kingdoms_restaurantosau.html
http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2012/10/dinoland_usa_and_restaurantosa.html
I don't think there's any light that needs to be shed. I, for one, always understood what the Dino-Rama area was supposed to be, but as I've said before, knowing that something is a detailed, loving recreation of a cheap roadside carnival still makes it a cheap roadside carnival. The backstory is an excuse for shoving in off-the-shelf rides (and carny games!--for shame) at minimal expense. I agree that the Imagineers did excellent work on the task they were given, but for me, it's lipstick on a pig. But of course we all have different tastes, and for the record, my daughter loves Primeval Whirl.

rushtest4echo

I don't think there's any light that needs to be shed. I, for one, always understood what the Dino-Rama area was supposed to be, but as I've said before, knowing that something is a detailed, loving recreation of a cheap roadside carnival still makes it a cheap roadside carnival. The backstory is an excuse for shoving in off-the-shelf rides (and carny games!--for shame) at minimal expense. I agree that the Imagineers did excellent work on the task they were given, but for me, it's lipstick on a pig. But of course we all have different tastes, and for the record, my daughter loves Primeval Whirl.

Agreed 100%

Please just toss in a few kangaroos and koalas, retheme Dinosaur to Indy's Austrailian outback adventure, rip up dinoland and call the whole area Australia. They even have Nemo right there. :)

Musicman20

It seems after all this time, the push is ON! Let's hope they deliver on time. I must admit, I quite like Avatar as a film, but this really does interest me way beyond the film. We all know they have further films due out so the popularity of the park will no doubt increase once the other films hit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom