AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

sunsetblvd26

From the Disney Files and Mickey Monitor magazines respectively. Nothing new really but still interesting to read! :)
IMG_6065.JPG

IMG_6067.JPG

DDLand

From the Disney Files and Mickey Monitor magazines respectively. Nothing new really but still interesting to read! :)
View attachment 191910
View attachment 191911
Thank you!

This confirms two things.

First the story will definitely make use of Avatar technology on the Banshee ride, which I had read some reports of, but is good to have in print. That makes the question of transition into the body, the design and aesthetic of the ride queue, and ride vehicle design all the more interesting. It could actually be somewhat industrial.

Reports of a far more generic chair seem spot on. As the rough sketch from Destination D indicated (and was subsequently confirmed by @rushtest4echo and @marni1971) you won't be riding Banshees. It will be the motorcycle like device. Once the lights dim and all the effects including the breathing and the wind start you should be immersed.

's picture is unimportant concept design. Strange it was leaked now. Maybe they withheld publishing but didn't realize that wasn't the direction they were taking. Not much of a story in the end.

Second it appears my instincts were right about their being a predator in the Flight of Passage, and credit goes to @truecoat for calling the right one.

"On my particular flight, the toruk came pretty close- a little scary there for a minute, but we all got through it okay."
James Cameron

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Set your DVRs: On The View next Thursday, March 9th, James Cameron will be providing a tour of Pandora.

Source: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...d-whoopi-explores-pandora-20170228-story.html
Quote: "Next Thursday's show will feature host Whoopi Goldberg exploring Pandora with director James Cameron."
So the women of that show are going to stop cackling long enough to let Cameron show them around? That may just be more amazing than Pandora itself. I will have a steady i.v. drip of morphine going into my system just in case they break out into their usual chicken head clucking.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Thank you!

Reports of a far more generic chair seem spot on. As the rough sketch from Destination D indicated (and was subsequently confirmed by @rushtest4echo and @marni1971) you won't be riding Banshees. It will be the motorcycle like device. Once the lights dim and all the effects including the breathing and the wind start you should be immersed.

This is the part that still confuses me. rushtest4echo said:

"The good news: these will still be incredibly convincing "banshees" with skin and will be able to mimic flapping wings, breathing, and head movement. Note the mimic part, not all of that will be tied to physical movements"

JohnD

... and by "people" the article means three random tweets. ;)

True. All I had to go on is what was displayed in the article. They could be the only three people on the planet who think that way. But being the media, they're represented as almost everybody.

twebber55

being on this and other theme park boards one thing i ve learned is whats important and a big deal to people here is typically not important to the general public ie where Frozen is located, why Avatar, SDMT is too short and not good, MM+ is terrible etc....
not saying those arent legitimate issues just that people want to be immersed into new lands and want to get a way from reality

truecoat

This is the part that still confuses me. rushtest4echo said:

"The good news: these will still be incredibly convincing "banshees" with skin and will be able to mimic flapping wings, breathing, and head movement. Note the mimic part, not all of that will be tied to physical movements"

Is it some kind of augmented reality? The goggles you wear are like google glasses or something where the wings and head appear when the ride starts and then looks quite realistic? The expense on equipment like this seems too much so I wouldn't think so.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom