AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Captain Chaos

I have been a critic as well and while I still love Disney, this years trip is our last till 2016. We have trips planned with both my family and my wives (2014 & 15) and neither side wanted to go back to Disney. Why? Nothing new and exciting is the response from both. The closest we will get to Disney is we will stay in the DVC for 2 or 3 days and do WWoHP at Uni and then off to the beach. I know we are in the minority but I see this happening more and more.
I'm doing the same this year... Staying in my DVC while visiting Uni and SeaWorld... Sadly, we are the exception, not the rule...

ctxak98

It's so lush and beautiful. And there's a TON to explore. Especially in Camp Jurassic, which is just amazingly done. The last few times I've been at Islands of Adventure, I've made it a point to explore Camp Jurassic and find those dark, creepy amber mine caves. They are so terrifying! And I love it in front of the Jurassic Park Discovery Center. It's so quiet and nice and gives a great view of the park. It's just overall a WAY better executed land than Dinoland.
RIGHT! the land is incredible and feels like Jurassic Park. To me besides Potter its the best themed area. My favorite place to relax is in the discovery center! and totally agree the caves filled with fog are very eerie and awesome. I am just mad at there two rides. Pterodactyl flyers you can only ride with kids (or so that's what the workers told me) and JPRA is another water ride....which they have a lot of in that park if you think about it! I do like however that the river adventure was actually a park attraction mentioned in the book AND shown in pictures in the movie! great detail!

BryceM

RIGHT! the land is incredible and feels like Jurassic Park. To me besides Potter its the best themed area.
I have a hard time deciding between Port of Entry, Jurassic Park, The Lost Continent, Seuss Landing and Wizarding World of Harry Potter on which is the best themed "island" in the park.

I like Marvel Super Hero Island and parts of Toon Lagoon, but they are just different "types" of lands than the others. I will admit that they look awesome at night.

luv

Oh ok that makes more sense. BUT AK did open before IOA so who copied who?? would be interesting to find out. But Dinosaurs fits in with both parks theme in there own sort of way.
Disney built MGM because Uni was building US. If Uni had a movie park, well, Disney had to have one, too. MGM (now DHS) didn't need to be a movie park. We didn't need two. It all worked out okay, but I though it was a little lame. That's all.

G00fyDad

Disney built MGM because Uni was building US. If Uni had a movie park, well, Disney had to have one, too. MGM (now DHS) didn't need to be a movie park. We didn't need two. It all worked out okay, but I though it was a little lame. That's all.

Disney built and opened DHS (Disney-MGM) first. May 1, 1989. Universal opened their doors on June 7, 1990. Universal copied Disney.

ParentsOf4

Disney built and opened DHS (Disney-MGM) first. May 1, 1989. Universal opened their doors on June 7, 1990. Universal copied Disney.
Actually, plans for Universal Studios were started before Disney-MGM. If I correctly remember, Eisner saw those plans (I think there was talk of the two working together) and Universal was pretty P.O'ed when Disney copied them. Lots of accusations but I don't think anything came of it.

As it was, Disney-MGM opened with few attractions, so few, in fact, that "guests" were lining up at Guest Relations demanding their money back on opening day. All because Eisner wanted to "beat" Universal.

BryceM

Universal Studios Florida had been in the works for longer than Disney-MGM Studios, and I'm pretty sure that (like ParentsOf4 mentioned) Disney-MGM Studios opening was completely rushed in order to beat Universal. That's why it opened with (WOW!) two rides.

djlaosc

I think I am correct in thinking that the basis for "Disney-MGM Studios" was supposed to be a "Great Moments at the Movies" Pavilion at Epcot, which was basically "The Great Movie Ride" - the only reason we got a full park was because Universal was building one.

I don't know how a Movies Pavilion would fit in Future World - although, I guess we will have movies in the future... :rolleyes:;)

ParentsOf4

Universal Studios Florida had been in the works for longer than Disney-MGM Studios, and I'm pretty sure that (like ParentsOf4 mentioned) Disney-MGM Studios opening was completely rushed in order to beat Universal. That's why it opened with (WOW!) two rides.
According to this webpage (http://www.thisdayindisneyhistory.com/disney-mgmgrandopening.html) Disney-MGM opened with:
  • The Great Movie Ride - a dark ride paying homage to several classic films, located inside The Chinese Theatre - a recreation of the famous Hollywood landmark Mann's Chinese Theatre
  • The Backstage Studio Tour – a 2-hour guided tour including the short films The Lottery & Michael and Mickey
  • The Magic of Disney Animation Tour - a show and tour including the 9-minute short Back to Neverland
  • The Monster Sound Show - hosted by Sony - showing the importance of sound in cinema through a film and an interactive stage show
  • Superstar Television - hosted by Sony in a 1,000-seat theater - an interactive live show that recreates the production of some of TV's greatest shows, using park guests as part of the cast
No wonder opening day guests were disappointed!

BoarderPhreak

...No wonder opening day guests were disappointed!
I wasn't there for opening day - or even that close as I recall, but certainly in the first year or two. I remember all of those (and more) and MGM felt like it really had some bang behind it. Roger Rabbit was big "in the day" too. It's what has happened since that's been a bit flat.

FrankLapidus

In all seriousness, it is evident in the constant back-and-forth on Avatarland that the IP or theme of an attraction is more of a non-starter for some people than it is for others, and I don't think anybody is wrong for expressing their opinion one way or another about it. Not everything has to please everyone, nor should it. But, even though DAK needs more to do, not everyone has to agree with or like the proposed solution either, and no one should be precluded from expressing their thoughts on any aspect of it.

Yeah I absolutely agree with that. Like I said I'm not a fan of Avatar but I don't begrudge or hold anything against those who are and I hope that if it does happen it is done well for those people who are excited by it and will have waited five years for it to be done. No one is going to agree on everything that Disney do at WDW but no one is right or wrong for expressing an opinion.

luv

As others mentioned, Uni's plan came first. Disney copied it and rushed it, which is why they had a pretty sad opening and why they have a dang confusing park now. But they did, in fact, copy Uni.

Would you be surprised to hear that Uni had EP before WDW had FP?

lazyboy97o

Actually, plans for Universal Studios were started before Disney-MGM. If I correctly remember, Eisner saw those plans (I think there was talk of the two working together) and Universal was pretty P.O'ed when Disney copied them. Lots of accusations but I don't think anything came of it.

As it was, Disney-MGM opened with few attractions, so few, in fact, that "guests" were lining up at Guest Relations demanding their money back on opening day. All because Eisner wanted to "beat" Universal.
Eisner allegedly saw the plans for the Universal Studios Florida when he was at Paramount, who Universal was courting to be a partner. Apparently after Eisner moved to Disney and started pursuing his own park / production facility, Universal put some feelers out there for a Disney-Universal partnership since both were looking for a partner.

ThemeParks4Life

I've had 10+ pages to catch up on. Again, this land will be amazing if it ever sees the light. People still recognize Avatar and with sequels on the way I can't see it dying.

To continue with the dinosaur discussion, both Jurassic Park River Adventure and Jurassic Park itself completely destroy Dinoland and DINOSAUR.

Jurassic Park's themeing beats Dinoland but Dinosaur is a better ride IMO.

ctxak98

I've had 10+ pages to catch up on. Again, this land will be amazing if it ever sees the light. People still recognize Avatar and with sequels on the way I can't see it dying.

I COMPLETELTY AGREE! Dinosaur IMO is wayyyyy better and more exciting then Jurassic Park River adventures. the fact that the dinosaurs stop halfway through the scenes, before you even pass them is pretty bad show. If they spruced up the AA's it would be a lot better!

articos

@ParentsOf4 and everyone after saying Disney copied Universal is correct. Not the other way around. Eisner required an opening date to beat Universal's construction schedule. The actual order was Universal's production facilities opened first, then Disney-MGM's, then Disney-MGM park, then Universal's park. Universal's plans had been in the works long before Disney-MGM, and Eisner was made aware.

The Empress Lilly

I've read - and believe - that the famous 'EPCOT Movie Pavilion' was a few imagineers (Rhode) lampooning Eisner. Movie Guy Eisner did not understand theme parks, didn't understand EPCOT, could only talk movies. So the imagineers drew up a 'concept' for a pavilion that consisted of 'blue sky, but make it something with movies'.

I don't think Eisner ever even saw it. Or even if he did, that he understood he was being mocked. In any case, when Eisner wanted to outbuild UNI, possibly using inside information, the movie attraction 'concept' was a great get-out-of-jail-card. The proof of old original WDW content.

BryceM

It's all opinion, but Jurassic Park River Adventure is the king of dinosaur themed rides. The T-Rex at the end with the drop is so climatic, it's just perfect. DINOSAUR is just too dark, too loud, a lot of things are broken and not working, and it's a confusing and frightening experience.

Jurassic Park River Adventure is a more intimate and engaging experience that builds up to a climatic and dramatic ending. Plus, the T-Rex at the end is leagues better than that large dinosaur head that charges at you and blasts nasty smelling air in your face.

I still enjoy DINOSAUR, just not as much as Jurassic Park. Plus, nothing beats hearing the theme song and having those Jurassic Park gates open. It gives me chills! :D

But yes, most of the AAs in Jurassic Park River Adventure need some major refurbishment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom