AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

doctornick

I can agree that the Ride number is a little scary at this point. I mean if they added the boat ride and the soarin 2.0 then I would be fine! I really like the idea of visiting Pandora so this would be a plus in my book!

The irony to me is that many of these boards and similar places have complained that the bike coaster "E-ticket" was cut from plans (I think it was themed to be riding one of the dragon type animals from the film, not a bike per se) but I don't view that as that big of a deal. E:E and Dinosaur already fill a reasonable niche of "thrill" rides on a percentage basis for DAK. The park really needs more family friendly/minimal thrill type rides that everyone can enjoy -- and I think Soarin 2.0 and a boat ride with Avatar AAs would be actually very solid and needed additions. Even if the Soarin' ride has a height restriction, it will likely be more rideable to people who "don't like roller coasters" than E:E and Dinosaur.

djlaosc

So, should Disney open Avatar with 5 new rides then? Reality is that won't happen... Won't happen in Disney, won't happen in Universal.. Won't happen in SeaWorld... WW is one new ride and two rethemed rides... WW did not open with three new rides... The fact that the land draws you into a new world, with one hell of a great attraction (and the most popular IP helps) is what draws...

I know this isn't the WW you are talking about, but...

Diagon Alley/London:
Gringotts Bank Coaster
Hogwarts Express (which may have different shows depending on the direction you go - so could be one or two attractions)
Ollivanders - if it's included on the map in IOA, it'll be included on the map in USF.

Rumoured Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes Walkthrough
Rumoured Borgin & Burkes Walkthrough

So that is at least 3 attractions (2 rides), and could be as much as 6 (3 rides) depending on whether the rumours are true and how you count them! Although I will say that they did have to remove one ride to be able to get this done.

Sped2424

Well isn't uni supposed to be a doing a sort of Jurassic park mini expansion and rehab for that area? It would be cool if disney went to the dinosaur area and revamped it as well, but the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Captain Chaos

It's up to you whether or not you want to believe the insiders on the forum, for me I see no reason why they would lie. They might well be wrong, equally I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are correct in this instance taking into account the players involved in this particular projects.

I never said they are lying, or have lied... But, they could very well be getting played, or used... And maybe they know more than they are letting on (which is very possible)... Maybe, just maybe, someone is feeding them negative information to turn opinions against Avatar so their pet project gets the go ahead instead of Avatar... Maybe, just maybe someone is feeding them incomplete information to help set expectations lower and then BAM we are blown away by something great...

I love reading the information they bring here... But I also take it with a grain of a salt... Hell, I even take Disney's announcements with a grain of salt.. LOL..

It's a start but for me it's taken too long to get here and I worry it will take just as long to reach the next point. I've said that I won't go to Avatarland when it opens and I 100% stand by that but I'm still interested and somewhat invested in it despite my dislike of it because I want it to show that Disney is still serious about adding quality attractions to WDW and for it to be the start of improvements right across the resort.

I agree it is taking too long to get this thing moving... And I do feel it is fair to mock and bash Disney for dragging their feet in this... I think it is fine to call purchasing the theme park rights to Avatar a knee jerk reaction (it was)... Their actions aren't helping to put out any of the negativity about this either... Disney management is 100% to blame here...

You increase capacity by adding things for guests to do and that will keep them coming back. The Fantasyland expansion looks lovely from what I've seen of it but it's a lot of style over substance; having two new rides is great but there was potential for more and I think the Snow White building is being wasted as another M&G. It is what it is, I just think it's sad that it's reached a point now where we as guests are so welcoming of something new that we don't expect or demand more than we should and I include myself in that.

I don't disagree with you about Fantasyland... Yes, it could have been so much more... I think they failed with the meet and greet with Belle.. They should have made it a dark ride, especially since we lost Snow White (and no, I am not going to miss it) for a dedicated meet and greet for the princesses... Belle could have been included in the line up there, giving us that dark ride...

I'm not welcoming of just anything new... I do expect more from Disney... I do demand it... I am also a realist and I know I cannot force Disney to live up to their own standards... If I do not like what they give us, I can either never visit again or just skip the additions I don't feel are worthy of my time...

The thing is, people always go back... No matter how much we complain about how stagnant the parks are becoming (and yes, I am a critic), that doesn't change the fact that people visit over and over and over... Not everything can be for everybody, and I think we tend to lose sight of that... Some don't want Avatar in the parks... Some are looking forward to Avatar in DAK... I'm not a Cars fan, I don't want RSR in DHS... But, if they built it, I'd give it a chance... My preference is more Star Wars in DHS, not more Pixar... I hate Twilight... But if Disney added a mind blowingly awesome Twilight attraction into one of the parks, know where I would be? Yep, on line waiting to give the ride a chance instead of preaching on a message board how I hate Twilight, how this is a failure on Disney's part, and making myself try to appear holier than thou... I'd give it a chance and then make an informed opinion about the experience instead of letting blind hatred fuel my opinion of something I haven't seen yet...

As always, it is fun discussing this with ya... :)

Captain Chaos

The irony to me is that many of these boards and similar places have complained that the bike coaster "E-ticket" was cut from plans (I think it was themed to be riding one of the dragon type animals from the film, not a bike per se) but I don't view that as that big of a deal. E:E and Dinosaur already fill a reasonable niche of "thrill" rides on a percentage basis for DAK. The park really needs more family friendly/minimal thrill type rides that everyone can enjoy -- and I think Soarin 2.0 and a boat ride with Avatar AAs would be actually very solid and needed additions. Even if the Soarin' ride has a height restriction, it will likely be more rideable to people who "don't like roller coasters" than E:E and Dinosaur.
Reading forums, I think, does more harm than good... Cause then you read what could have been instead of enjoying what is actually there...

Captain Chaos

I know this isn't the WW you are talking about, but...

Diagon Alley/London:
Gringotts Bank Coaster
Hogwarts Express (which may have different shows depending on the direction you go - so could be one or two attractions)
Ollivanders - if it's included on the map in IOA, it'll be included on the map in USF.

Rumoured Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes Walkthrough
Rumoured Borgin & Burkes Walkthrough

So that is at least 3 attractions (2 rides), and could be as much as 6 (3 rides) depending on whether the rumours are true and how you count them! Although I will say that they did have to remove one ride to be able to get this done.

OK, I gotta like that post... Yes, it can be done in Universal, I do stand corrected... :) Kudos!

erasure fan1

The thing is, people always go back... No matter how much we complain about how stagnant the parks are becoming (and yes, I am a critic), that doesn't change the fact that people visit over and over and over...
I have been a critic as well and while I still love Disney, this years trip is our last till 2016. We have trips planned with both my family and my wives (2014 & 15) and neither side wanted to go back to Disney. Why? Nothing new and exciting is the response from both. The closest we will get to Disney is we will stay in the DVC for 2 or 3 days and do WWoHP at Uni and then off to the beach. I know we are in the minority but I see this happening more and more.

djlaosc

OK, I gotta like that post... Yes, it can be done in Universal.. :) Kudos!

And that is on top of Transformers/Springfield/potential Jurassic Park...

The kudos really needs to go to Universal - they are doing really well with their new attractions recently, and I can only hope that they get rewarded for it with an attendance boost (if IOA can continue its 28% increase from 2010-2011, they could be nearly at 10million (up 2.3m) and it would be nice to see USF at around 7million (+1m) for the additions of Despicable Me/Universal Superstar Parade/Universal Cinematic Spectacular) - if that happens, and DCA jumps up to around 11million, and the WDW parks stays static again, it would be interesting.

A North American...
1. MK
2. DL
3. DCA
4. Epcot
5. IOA
6. DAK
7. DHS
8. USF
9. SWO

...is what we really need the results for 2012 to be (would be even better if DL overtook MK), and in the near future (2013-2015), for SWO to be rewarded for Antarctica by getting closer to DHS/DAK, and Transformers/Harry Potter taking USF over DHS/DAK, and looking to be overtaking Epcot along with IOA.

Then, maybe Disney will change how they do things in WDW, and maybe we could eventually get the projects that we have been waiting for!

ctxak98

Well isn't uni supposed to be a doing a sort of Jurassic park mini expansion and rehab for that area? It would be cool if disney went to the dinosaur area and revamped it as well, but the chances of that happening are slim to none.
ONE CAN ONLY HOPE! I really think Disney could do so much more in that area as well as other areas. In my opinion here is a list of things that need to be fixed at WDW

1. Tomorrowland re-imagination
2. new frontierland/adventureland attraction
3. Futureworld updates including UOE, WOL, Imagination, and taking NEMO back out of the seas'
4. Re-do of back half of DHS. Add monsters inc and something else (not for rsr because I hate direct clones)
5. Add a new Lucas mini area
6. New muppets themed area
7. NEW land based on continent(Australia)
8. new mythical creature section(BK/Avatar)
9. re-worked Dinoland U.S.A
10. FIX THE YETI!!!!!!!!

and I think with those major problems in the parks fixed (in terms of attractions) WDW will once again be on top again. USO is really pushing boundaries as of lately and I hope it sparks something in WDW. If uni gets new sues ride, Jurassic park amber mines, simpsons, transformers, and HP part 2.....Disney could be in trouble. Which is why I really think a full out Avatarland could do some real good right now. All anyone cares about these days are Franchises and Disney is losing in that department. It could utilize Lucas and Avatar but for some reason....they aren't. sad really!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Of course I realize what they were going for. I just think it can be a lot more than a bouncy car with an occasional strobe-lit dinosaur in light of everything else about the ride (theming, building, entrance, backstory, etc.). It's right in a lot of places, but I think it's wrong in others. It starts off great, in the jungle with meteors flying overhead, etc. But once the lights go off, it just falls apart.

I think it is a great ride, when more than 70% of the effects are working....which doesn't happen as often as it should. I don't know why we don't have a dinosaur zoo. I think the Dino institute folks would have taken a few back for show and tell.

ctxak98

Of course I realize what they were going for. I just think it can be a lot more than a bouncy car with an occasional strobe-lit dinosaur in light of everything else about the ride (theming, building, entrance, backstory, etc.). It's right in a lot of places, but I think it's wrong in others. It starts off great, in the jungle with meteors flying overhead, etc. But once the lights go off, it just falls apart.
well the lights going dark adds to the atmosphere a little IMO. I like the dark surprises in the night sort of thing going on but I can see why some wouldn't! BUT you do know that there are not strobe lights on most of the dinosaurs right!? correct me if I am wrong but most are just lit up through black light. The only strobes in the ride I notice are in the time tunnels and a flash during the picture and when the meteor its at the end. But not on the Dinosaurs themselves!

luv

I honestly don't think it's necessary. If we already HAVE it at Uni, why duplicate? Disney has SSE. I don't need a big ball with a ride through communication inside when I'm at Uni.

I'd much rather Uni have one thing and Disney have another. I realize that IoA and the MK are similar parks - I don't mean parks, necessarily (though I do think Disney was lame to copy US.) Just stuff.

I suppose people who ONLY go to Uni or ONLY go to Disney might not care. But if they want to shun parks, let them go ahead and miss what they're missing. Don't have the same thing everywhere.

IMO.

ctxak98

I honestly don't think it's necessary. If we already HAVE it at Uni, why duplicate? Disney has SSE. I don't need a big ball with a ride through communication inside when I'm at Uni.

I'd much rather Uni have one thing and Disney have another. I realize that IoA and the MK are similar parks - I don't mean parks, necessarily (though I do think Disney was lame to copy US.) Just stuff.

I suppose people who ONLY go to Uni or ONLY go to Disney might not care. But if they want to shun parks, let them go ahead and miss what they're missing. Don't have the same thing everywhere.

IMO.
WHAT!? I am so lost. What does Jurassic park have to do with SSE and who copied what!?

FrankLapidus

I never said they are lying, or have lied... But, they could very well be getting played, or used... And maybe they know more than they are letting on (which is very possible)... Maybe, just maybe, someone is feeding them negative information to turn opinions against Avatar so their pet project gets the go ahead instead of Avatar... Maybe, just maybe someone is feeding them incomplete information to help set expectations lower and then BAM we are blown away by something great...

Sorry if it seems I'm putting words in your mouth that you didn't say, I should have said misinformed rather than lie.

I think we agree on the overall topic even if our opinions on Avatar are different. Like I said, I'm not a fan but if it happens I hope it serves as an indicator that Disney are serious about improving the parks at WDW. Whether I like it or not I hope it is done well for people who are fans of the expansion and that further improvements follow at AK.

I can't agree about a Twilight ride though ;).

As always, it is fun discussing this with ya... :)

You too, glad we have some common ground :).

luv

To continue with the dinosaur discussion, both Jurassic Park River Adventure and Jurassic Park itself completely destroy Dinoland and DINOSAUR.
They really do. I didn't read the book and didn't like the movie much, but like that area a lot and think it is very well done. Much better than Dinoland.

BryceM

They really do. I didn't read the book and didn't like the movie much, but like that area a lot and think it is very well done. Much better than Dinoland.
It's so lush and beautiful. And there's a TON to explore. Especially in Camp Jurassic, which is just amazingly done. The last few times I've been at Islands of Adventure, I've made it a point to explore Camp Jurassic and find those dark, creepy amber mine caves. They are so terrifying! And I love it in front of the Jurassic Park Discovery Center. It's so quiet and nice and gives a great view of the park. It's just overall a WAY better executed land than Dinoland.

ctxak98

To continue with the dinosaur discussion, both Jurassic Park River Adventure and Jurassic Park itself completely destroy Dinoland and DINOSAUR.
I will give you that the area destroys Dinoland in theming and places to explore BUT the river adventure is kinda....blah in my opinion. Its comes off fake because your moving so slow and the dinosaurs could have eaten you by the time you slowly float past them!? I just like the more realistic experiences I guess but I can see why people like the ride! CAMP JURASSIC! is incredible. the best kids play area ever created IMO! but I love Dinosaur (aka countdown to extinction) so I still stand by countdown to extinction being better then river adventure! dinosaur AA's are better by far as well

ctxak98

Sorry. My point is that I don't think we need the same thing in different parks. Duplication is less fun the bunches or original stuff. :)
Oh ok that makes more sense. BUT AK did open before IOA so who copied who?? would be interesting to find out. But Dinosaurs fits in with both parks theme in there own sort of way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom