AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Thessair

I doubt the 3D element really pushed ticket sales on the Lion King. A 2D release would likely have done as well considering the film itself and how rarely Disney classics get reissues.

Edit: Ninja'd by bferrara16

WDWmazprty

...of course it could be worse, we could have gotten something like Twilight. :zipit:

Thank goodness we didnt get that! Although, as much as I hate Twilight, it would probably also bring in a lot of business as a lot of tweens are obsessed with this franchise. :hurl::hurl:

Wakkie Nu Nu

Look, I'm as excited as anyone that WDW is getting a massive new expansion, but this just seems so..... Universal. Or dare I say, Six Flags.

I have no doubt that Disney is capable of maximizing the detail and development to levels far beyond the competition, and I'll no doubt check it out (and be happy AK has more capacity), but it's not so much Avatar I have an issue with as it's grabbing a random unrelated movie franchise (because it made big money) and plopping down a whole new land.

I like original stories, I like Disney, and I like cohesive theme... none of which fits well here. I'm sure they can integrate the look and feel into AK well, and I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised by this... but this is something Six Flags or Universal does. "Look, it's TitanicLand, right next to Men in Black and The Matrix Ride!". Ugh.

Again, happy with expansion and investment in the parks, but completely in shock that this is the path Disney has chosen. Star Wars and Indy were tenuous, but different to me in that A) They're at Studios, B) They're not "Lands", and C) Both franchises have proven to have long-term iconic staying power and are part of the cultural milieu, which Avatar hasn't sniffed.

blueboxdoctor

Have you had a chance to looks at this weekends Box Office numbers?

3D is still going pretty strong...

except that fact that every other movie in theatres right now is horrible, and it's nostalgia for those who grew up with the movie. Really, they could show all their movies in 3D this year and they would all top the box office since there's nothing notable coming out this year.

lebeau

Animal Kingdom needs attractions. Almost any new addition is welcome. And Cameron's not going to let them Chester and Hester the thing. It will be a great (and much needeD) addition to the park.

:sohappy:

Animal Kingdom has always been a half day park for our family (yes, we are one of those-AK has great details, but lacks in substance to us), if this expansion does happen we will most likely visit AK in the mornings for a quick ride on E:E and Dinosaur, if we even go at all. I would rather see Disney add on Beastly Kingdom. What are they going to do with the signs now? Take out the Dragons that have never made sense on the signs to begin with, and add an Avatar in its place? :shrug:

_Scar

Putting aside my hate towards Avatar. This will help bloom DAK into a "full day" park and only help it (tremendously) in the long run. I'm sure WDI will handle this with care.

Tigger1988

I doubt the 3D element really pushed ticket sales on the Lion King. A 2D release would likely have done as well considering the film itself and how rarely Disney classics get reissues.

Edit: Ninja'd by bferrara16

Lion King was rereleased in IMAX less than 10 years ago, so lets not act like it hasn't seen the light of day since 1994.

Considering the fact that the Blu Ray is coming out in just weeks, it's even more impressive. Why spend $11+ on the movie when you can pay $19 for the Blu Ray in a week or two?

JustInTime

Let's not attribute the film's re-release success too much on the upgraded technology.

Maybe, I don't know, its success is because its a good story. :shrug:

If they re-released Gigli in 3D do you think it would do better or worse than the original numbers?

It would stay the same, I am sure. But the films re-release success has everything to do with it being in 3D. Obviously. Most people have it on DVD. So why go see it...in 3D. Especially if it's a dying fad. I think 3D is slowing down but it's here to stay. I don't know why it matters because this expansion is going to be a smash anyway. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Did Knee

Hey! I have a great idea! How about they could add a "Pandora Adventurer's Club" here! It'd be great! And nobody could complain if the performers act got a little blue.....

/me ducks and runs for cover....:lol:

autigger

This makes sense. They always planned a mythological area (dragon logos, fire cave), but then cancelled that. Now, they have corporate money to create a fantasy/sci-fi mythological land that still embodies ecology and conservation...plus they already have a giant Tree!

Just get ready for:

Space flight ride to the planet Pandora. (similar to Star Wars)
Navi people walking around (think the tall stilt people from carnivals)
A ride for the flying dragon things
A ride escaping the panther and rhino aliens.

I heard the "Dances with Smurfs" character breakfast at Tusker House might be ready to open in early 2013.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom