AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

RSoxNo1

I know I don't post very often, but I wanted to let everyone know that as of today, The Wild Africa Trek has left their current location behind the Dawa Bar and Tusker House and is now right next to the entrance of Kilimanjaro Safaris in part of the area that used to have the fast pass machines (around the Baobab tree). I'm sure it's to make way for something else in that area.
Used to have the Fastpass machines? Have the machines been removed?

BryceM

So....pretty much every ride at USO other than Shrek, Twister, and the Feivel/Woody/Curious George are is an E...Ok...everyone entitled to their opinion.
I see you missed where I said "my personal list". But yes, I do believe all of those attractions to be E-Tickets. I do admit its close when it comes to RockIt (no storyline and sub-par theme, but its such a big, flashy ride) and E.T. Adventure, considering how dated it is (though I still stand by my statement that its better than any Fantasyland dark-ride).

But the rest just simply scream E-Ticket to me. They have interesting queues that contribute to the ride, a storyline, immersive theming, different and advanced technologies, etc. I think it would seem like such a stretch to not refer to Men in Black or Revenge of the Mummy as not being E-Tickets. Same goes for Transformers, Simpsons, Despicable Me.

And you forgot Disaster, Terminator, Horror Make-Up Show, Beetlejuice and Fear Factor. The term "E-Ticket" does not only pertain to actual rides, and I definitely do not consider those E-Tickets.

Genie of the Lamp

I see you missed where I said "my personal list". But yes, I do believe all of those attractions to be E-Tickets. I do admit its close when it comes to RockIt (no storyline and sub-par theme, but its such a big, flashy ride) and E.T. Adventure, considering how dated it is (though I still stand by my statement that its better than any Fantasyland dark-ride).

But the rest just simply scream E-Ticket to me. They have interesting queues that contribute to the ride, a storyline, immersive theming, different and advanced technologies, etc. I think it would seem like such a stretch to not refer to Men in Black or Revenge of the Mummy as not being E-Tickets. Same goes for Transformers, Simpsons, Despicable Me.

And you forgot Disaster, Terminator, Horror Make-Up Show, Beetlejuice and Fear Factor. The term "E-Ticket" does not only pertain to actual rides, and I definitely do not consider those E-Tickets.

I consider E.T. an E Ticket. Great story, theme/message, show sets, and show sets. That was my favorite ride in UNI when I went in 06. Only time I've ever been there (only go to O-TOWN once every 3-5 years). Yeah no question it's better than any Fantasyland ride. Is rockit that rollercoaster that's similar to rock n roller coaster? You obviously know and love your Universal huh Bryce.:)

BryceM

I consider E.T. an E Ticket. Great story, theme/message, show sets, and show sets. That was my favorite ride in UNI when I went in 06. Only time I've ever been there (only go to O-TOWN once every 3-5 years). Yeah no question it's better than any Fantasyland ride. Is rockit that rollercoaster that's similar to rock n roller coaster? You obviously know and love your Universal huh Bryce.:)
Yes, but I much prefer Rock 'n' Roller Coaster to RockIt. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster has a far better theme, an actual storyline, and is just a much more fun attraction in general than the headache-inducing RockIt. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is actually one of my favorite attractions! Always look forward to it every time I head down to Hollywood Studios.

themonkeyisthesultan

I know I don't post very often, but I wanted to let everyone know that as of today, The Wild Africa Trek has left their current location behind the Dawa Bar and Tusker House and is now right next to the entrance of Kilimanjaro Safaris in part of the area that used to have the fast pass machines (around the Baobab tree). I'm sure it's to make way for something else in that area.
Hope this means they'll build the new FOTLK theatre before they tear down the old one. Animal Kingdom without FOTLK is almost unthinkable.

Andy Whitfield

Hey 1st post and you are now a doom and gloomer! Nice going! It starts earlier all the time I tell you.;):D

As a UK'er I dont get over so often so my eyes have been opened to all the negativity! I for one never knew the Yeti wasnt suppose to move! Lol

Anyhow. I do think some of you guys a tad on the harsh side but you're only worried about something you care alot for.

I'm going to say some controversial things now

1. I like the DHS "Hat"!
2. I've never really noticed a "DVC" Kart / Shop
3. I've never been to Blizzard Beach
4. Im 35 and still enjoy going on "It's a small world"
5. Ive never been on ToM Sawers Island
6. I think they should charge more for park entry*

*this one might not be true

articos

Yeah, the Backlot Tour is definitely not an E-Ticket. The Great Movie Ride is debatable, but I think it should be considered one.
I think Backlot Tour is a D-ticket, and GMR should absolutely be considered an E-ticket, all things considered - it's a soft E, but an E all the same.
If world of motion was.. so is GMR.

MiB's queue is such an awesome concept.. but looks so cheap in real life IMHO.
The queue is actually amazingly detailed for the amount of money that was allocated and the schedule. It was finished while they were doing test audiences through the back doors, even. A large piece of the budget for MiB went to the show program, as all of that shooting/targeting, rotating and scoring (x2, since you're competing against the other car) is all custom code from scratch. Think about MIB: it's a dark ride, but it also has to deal with 2 ride tracks, shooting and scoring, tons of animatronics, fully realized street scenes and detailed scenic, spinning motion bases...etc...etc...it's not a simple attraction by any means, and it was a test bed. When they started on MiB, they knew they needed to do an attraction based on MiB, and they knew they were using the Cat in the Hat platform. That's it. Didn't even have a final site for the bldg for a while.

stevehousse

I would go on to say that the backlot tour from the past was a definite e ticket, but since the "studios" closed, it has been downgraded to a d!

If I remember correctly, the backlot tour was over an hour long, included several building visits that you would exit the tram, and get to actually tour, and it finished by tram driving though various tv streets and famous homes used in television!

RyenDeckard

When they started on MiB, they knew they needed to do an attraction based on MiB, and they knew they were using the Cat in the Hat platform. That's it. Didn't even have a final site for the bldg for a while.

Actually, the ride was designed with almost the exact opposite of what you said. The designers knew from the second they saw the weapons room in the first MIB movie that they wanted a shooting gallery.

They chose CITH's vehicle as a base because it could spin on it's axis and because they didn't have time for R&D, the land they chose was originally going to be for a clone of the Jurassic Park River Adventure ride. After figuring they would just build an entire land there, they didn't know what to do with that expansion plot, so they had to scramble for a franchise quickly to get it open in time for IOA's opening.

So if anything, they chose CITH's platform so they wouldn't need R&D, and they knew exactly where the building was going to go before they even knew what they were building.

Also fun fact - The attraction's original sketches were drawn at the Orlando Ale House, across the street from UOR, after-hours when some creative guys were out drinking.

articos

Actually, the ride was designed with almost the exact opposite of what you said. The designers knew from the second they saw the weapons room in the first MIB movie that they wanted a shooting gallery.

They chose CITH's vehicle as a base because it could spin on it's axis and because they didn't have time for R&D, the land they chose was originally going to be for a clone of the Jurassic Park River Adventure ride. After figuring they would just build an entire land there, they didn't know what to do with that expansion plot, so they had to scramble for a franchise quickly to get it open in time for IOA's opening.

So if anything, they chose CITH's platform so they wouldn't need R&D, and they knew exactly where the building was going to go before they even knew what they were building.

Also fun fact - The attraction's original sketches were drawn at the Orlando Ale House, across the street from UOR, after-hours when some creative guys were out drinking.
I beg to differ, and I know this attraction's development quite well. Universal had a schedule and a plan for MiB from before the Creative team was brought on. There were multiple ideas, one of which was a shooter (also a theater show and an indoor coaster), but the decision on which way to go was not made early. The attraction's Creative Director thought a shooter was the way to go, and that is the ride they went with. You're correct on the reasoning for the CITH vehicle, and the land use. There were multiple ideas thrown around for that expansion plot, though, so no, they didn't know exactly where the building was going to go until they locked in on using that plot. It could have ended up being an entirely different ride, and there was talk of it going in Expo as well, as the concept fit for Expo. The Ale House, formerly the unofficial UCreative after-hours office. ;)

Edit: I reread my original post - when I say they didn't have a final site for the building, that's still in the beginning of the planning while they knew they wanted to do MiB, but hadn't finalized the ride yet - they did choose the expansion plot early in the process. Normally, the location is one of the first things chosen, which did not happen in this case.

Kobe!!

2016/2017 opening is my guess. They are going to make a few more sequels of this movie / series.

With that being said, it would be dumb of them to open the area/land with only one movie to base the land off of. 2015 the sequal is due out and by 2016/2017 they can put in ideas from the sequel. Apparently, Cameron is writing the scripts to the rest of them all at once so maybe we'll even get some future stuff before the movie... who know!? lol

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
One thing I'm wondering about is with all the rumors and action at DHS, can Disney do a Pixar Place project and Avatar at the same time? The bigwigs on this board have in the past indicated the two are mutually exclusive. Which would mean that either they wouldn't get built at the same time (pushing on so far out into the future that many would cease to care or be deceased as another poster mentioned) or one wouldn't built at all. I find it interesting because signs of progress are taking place at both parks.

doctornick

One thing I'm wondering about is with all the rumors and action at DHS, can Disney do a Pixar Place project and Avatar at the same time? The bigwigs on this board have in the past indicated the two are mutually exclusive. Which would mean that either they wouldn't get built at the same time (pushing on so far out into the future that many would cease to care or be deceased as another poster mentioned) or one wouldn't built at all. I find it interesting because signs of progress are taking place at both parks.

I don't think they are mutually exclusive, though it's possible/likely that both projects could be worked on simultaneously, but stretched out to spread the budgets over more years (which makes it more appealing to the suits).

Of course, there's the valid point that Disney Springs would also command a significant financial investment, so it's a lot of money to budget to WDW from P&R. On the flip side, there isn't any obvious massive projects going on at DLR or DCL (the potentially Iron Man attraction at DL is the only thing I have heard of) so P&R could theoretically direct much of their discretionary domestic budget towards WDW.

afar28

I haven't been following this thread for a while now, so what's the news on Avatarland? Is it still having its troubles?

doctornick

I haven't been following this thread for a while now, so what's the news on Avatarland? Is it still having its troubles?

The current rumor is "still on, moving slowly, plans for one major attraction and a gift shop only". Which would mean that the second attraction and restaurant are currently cut as things now stand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom