AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

afar28

The current rumor is "still on, moving slowly, plans for one major attraction and a gift shop only". Which would mean that the second attraction and restaurant are currently cut as things now stand.
So from 3 attractions, to 2, now to 1. Great...
At least its moving on I suppose. Thanks for the reply.

jt04

The current rumor is "still on, moving slowly, plans for one major attraction and a gift shop only". Which would mean that the second attraction and restaurant are currently cut as things now stand.

The more I think about Avatar going to DHS (GMR overlay?) the more I like it. Seems like a potentially perfect match. :cool:

djlaosc

The more I think about Avatar going to DHS (GMR overlay?) the more I like it. Seems like a potentially perfect match. :cool:

If Avatar is going to replace anything in DHS (the park it should be going in to), it should to be American Idol Experience/Sounds Dangerous - possibly with the entrance opposite Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater) - continuing the sci-fi theme

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

I haven't heard any serious rumor from the connected that would indicate this is a possibility though.

@WDW1974 is the source for this (or at least the only one I'm aware of). I find it baffling if this is the case, since it seemed fairly obvious that a few years ago it one park needed a super big attraction it was MK, whereas, DAK needs multiple family friendly rides since it has 6 rides total and KS, EE, Kali, and Dinosaur are all rides that some sub-group may not want to ride. It almost makes me wonder if they ever visit there own parks.

jt04

I haven't heard any serious rumor from the connected that would indicate this is a possibility though.

@WDW1974 is the source for this (or at least the only one I'm aware of). I find it baffling if this is the case, since it seemed fairly obvious that a few years ago it one park needed a super big attraction it was MK, whereas, DAK needs multiple family friendly rides since it has 6 rides total and KS, EE, Kali, and Dinosaur are all rides that some sub-group may not want to ride. It almost makes me wonder if they ever visit there own parks.

If 74 is right and they have pared down the franchise to this extreme then it does not justify an entire land. So I am hoping they would consider it an E-Ticket to be added elsewhere. Just makes sense as an add at DHS at this point.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
If 74 is right and they have pared down the franchise to this extreme then it does not justify an entire land. So I am hoping they would consider it an E-Ticket to be added elsewhere. Just makes sense as an add at DHS at this point.

To be clear, I agree with you. I just haven't seen anything to make me think the idea is being considered.

djlaosc

I would imagine that if we were getting Avatar for DHS and Mysterious Island for DAK - people would generally be happier about getting Avatar... The only issue would be that Avatar would likely have a height restriction (if it's the Soarin-esque ride, Soarin is 40") - if it's the boat ride, then maybe not (and people have been saying that DHS needs a boat/water ride...)

aladdin2007

I would imagine that if we were getting Avatar for DHS and Mysterious Island for DAK - people would generally be happier about getting Avatar... The only issue would be that Avatar would likely have a height restriction (if it's the Soarin-esque ride, Soarin is 40") - if it's the boat ride, then maybe not (and people have been saying that DHS needs a boat/water ride...)

Its sounding more though like the boat ride has been cut? And they will just plop down another huge soaring style building on valuable animal kingdom property and that will be it. I just think the park deserves more.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Its sounding more though like the boat ride has been cut? And they will just plop down another huge soaring style building on valuable animal kingdom property and that will be it. I just think the park deserves more.
Agreed x 10,000. It is the prettiest of all the Orlando area theme parks. A nice immersive land with 3 or 4 rides would make it a must visit for quite a few people, whereas now it is skippable which is unfortunate.

G00fyDad

One thing I'm wondering about is with all the rumors and action at DHS, can Disney do a Pixar Place project and Avatar at the same time? The bigwigs on this board have in the past indicated the two are mutually exclusive. Which would mean that either they wouldn't get built at the same time (pushing on so far out into the future that many would cease to care or be deceased as another poster mentioned) or one wouldn't built at all. I find it interesting because signs of progress are taking place at both parks.

There's nothing saying they can't do both projects at the same time. I don't recall them ever doing it before but that doesn't mean that they can't. If one of the projects had to be cancelled I would prefer for to be Avatarland.

twebber55

lot s of assumptions going on right now...we dont have much to go on im terms of what the avatar ride will be and exactly where they are putting it and how it and cars land (which we dont know much about yet either) will be built at the same time

it is fun to speculate

doctornick

Agree. That's why I think the Avatar boat ride, as maligned as some made it for not being an E-ticket, was a very good idea.

DAK really doesn't need something like the bike coaster. It needs family rides.

Kobe!!

One thing I'm wondering about is with all the rumors and action at DHS, can Disney do a Pixar Place project and Avatar at the same time? The bigwigs on this board have in the past indicated the two are mutually exclusive. Which would mean that either they wouldn't get built at the same time (pushing on so far out into the future that many would cease to care or be deceased as another poster mentioned) or one wouldn't built at all. I find it interesting because signs of progress are taking place at both parks.
Care to share?

Kobe!!

If 74 is right about the cut backs there is no reason Avatar should get it's own land let alone not be done sooner then 2016.

articos

There are no issues with both going forward. They can move ahead simultaneously or separately.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
There are no issues with both going forward. They can move ahead simultaneously or separately.
There's nothing saying they can't do both projects at the same time. I don't recall them ever doing it before but that doesn't mean that they can't. If one of the projects had to be cancelled I would prefer for to be Avatarland.

There are no inherent issues with doing both at the same time (except for Uni using all the cranes in the southeastern U.S.
paranoid.gif
), but several people were saying the funds ear marked for Avatar were heading over to DHS for Cars. If, indeed, both are proceeding it may mean that Burbank is paying attention to Florida and sinking major money into WDW, which would be awesome.

doctornick

If 74 is right about the cut backs there is no reason Avatar should get it's own land let alone not be done sooner then 2016.

The problem IMHO is that is Avatar only has one ride and some peripherals (gift shop), it is pretty silly to make it into it's own "land". At a minimum, I'd to see two attractions and food service in addition to merchandise. I actually thought the Soarin' 2.0 plus boat ride was a reasonable compromise and -- if done up to par with how they could be -- would be a good smallish land in DAK. Basically, a family ride that would have pretty good capacity and a second experience that would be a good draw (an enhanced Soarin' with 3D and more vehicle movement would be quite popular IMHO especially if they did variable scenes like Star Tours). Doing that stuff would also leave enough space for a different land in the future to increase capacity and activities at DAK.

aladdin2007

The problem IMHO is that is Avatar only has one ride and some peripherals (gift shop), it is pretty silly to make it into it's own "land". At a minimum, I'd to see two attractions and food service in addition to merchandise. I actually thought the Soarin' 2.0 plus boat ride was a reasonable compromise and -- if done up to par with how they could be -- would be a good smallish land in DAK. Basically, a family ride that would have pretty good capacity and a second experience that would be a good draw (an enhanced Soarin' with 3D and more vehicle movement would be quite popular IMHO especially if they did variable scenes like Star Tours). Doing that stuff would also leave enough space for a different land in the future to increase capacity and activities at DAK.

I was so looking forward to the boat ride concept myself, and something perfect for all ages/families to enjoy together. Now it sounds like its going into the concept drawer the way of Germany's Rhine River cruise. Which means if it doesnt happen now it never will.

Beholder

It seems with the success that DL is having with Cars, it'd make sense to put MORE funds towards any DHS overhaul AND Avatar/Pandora. I know TDO doesn't look at things the way WE do, but cutting back isn't the answer. Of course this is all my opinion and doesn't mean too much, but the east coast has had a deficit of real attention for far to long. Pull out the stops and go big.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom