AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

John

I am in no way shape or form an insider....but we have to look at the evidence as it exsist. Lion King being moved has been "postponed" There is nothing comming out of Burbank....nothing from our insiders. Just nothing there. I wouldnt doubt that it maybe on life support just because who is involved (Cameron). They have sunk a boat load of money in NG. Yes I know those two are not related ( yea right!) but It was already admitted that they were not going to spend huge amounts of money in the forseeable future. If you give AL Lutz any credence he says CL is comming. So do you really think that they will have two enormous projects going at the same time? Does that sound like the TDO we all love and know?

Could it happen? I guess so....anything is possible. But as mentioned there was a beastly kingdom that was on the table....with many other projects (Hyperion Warf?......which reminds me @wdwmagic,,,its almost been six weeks...still waiting for that announcement) I see AVATAR going the way of these projects. If they were going to do AVLand....I would be screaming it from the highest moutian, NG hasnt exactly had great reviews to this point. I think somehow TDO needs some positive news...and not about thier first quater profits. I am not against AVLand....I am in the camp....just give us something! FLE is geared to the kiddie demo. Its nice and it may serve its purpose but the problem is it dosnt add much to WDW as a whole. It hasnt been something people are rushing to see. Its not going to get many people planning a trip just to see the FLE. I am not going to downplay what TDO has done....ie. Splittsville etc. But none of what they have done has caused us to perk our collective ears up. Thats what they need. If done right I suppose AVland would be a hit, but because of what history tells us...its not going to happen.

John

Um, big media hype.
Creator is involved.
Huge franchise.
Big media hype.
Park that still needs more.
Blue prints floating around.
Big media hype.

I think people just want to hate on Disney just to hate. I doubt Avatar is in any kind of danger and is more than likely still going to happen. Construction was scheduled in 2013 and, bear with me, probably start when Fantasyland is finished.

Jimmy Thick- Disney just has to cut costs for the Christmas bonuses you know.

Hate is an awfully strong word....I wouldnt say hate....I would say criticize would be more apprapo. If we really hated Disney most of us wouldnt waste so much time here or in the parks. If you really think that Disney hasnt done anything to deserve criticism...you my friend are blinded by pixie dust.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Are they actually going to build this "thing" they announce?

That really it, isn't it? If I was a blogger I would constantly ask various bigwigs about things that were announced, but never happened. I'd probably still be hammering them about the "Spain coming soon" sign in World Showcase (*just guranteed I'll never be a blogger and get to see the cool stuff like the dragon*).

John

Construction is about to start in Camp Mickey/Minnie. They recently filed a permit.........for Fastpass+ for The Festival of the Lion King!

Construction is about to start in Camp Mickey/Minnie. They recently filed a permit.........for Fastpass+ for The Festival of the Lion King!

I think camp M&M were not long for this world even before rumors of AL were flying around so that isnt that big of a surprise....which dosnt lend much credence to AVland. Filing a permit for FP+ for LionKing just reinforces the notion that LK isnt going anywhere in the near future atleast.

OFTeric

Sorry in advance if this was already posted, but looks like Avatar is not completely dead yet. At least not according to this press release. If you scroll down a little ways, it says construction is to begin in 2013, and take 5 years to complete.

http://wdwnews.com/releases/2013/02/14/experiencing-the-magic-2/

5 Years? If it is going to take 5 YEARS to complete... it better be MIND BLOWING. I mean I should weep, be overcome with emotion, stunned and shocked.

But if I am waiting 5 YEARS for Soarin' 2.0... I will officially wash my hands of WDW.

CTXRover

5 Years? If it is going to take 5 YEARS to complete... it better be MIND BLOWING. I mean I should weep, be overcome with emotion, stunned and shocked.

But if I am waiting 5 YEARS for Soarin' 2.0... I will officially wash my hands of WDW.

The release says 5 years to design AND build...which seems about right based on other major projects of similar size. Two or so years of designing and three some years for building. That goes with the original announcement in September 2011, which said construction to start in 2013 and Bob Iger who later said the land was expected to open by 2015 during a press conference in March 2012 (later 2016 was mentioned). Most annoucements in the past, the design phase was complete. This is the first major project that comes to my mind in recent era where the land was announced before the design phase even really started.

I know many on here keep saying Avatar is close to being dead. If true, it seems odd that they are still mentioning it in almost any forward talking press release. The date on the link is today, so it seems pretty new. Anything is possible, but if it were truly on the cutting room floor, they are digging themselves a bigger hole in saying that construction is still expected to begin in 2013.

From the release "a project of this size typically takes approximately five years to design and build".

twebber55

The release says 5 years to design AND build...which seems about right based on other major projects of similar size. Two or so years of designing and three some years for building. That goes with the original announcement in September 2011, which said construction to start in 2013 and Bob Iger who later said the land was expected to open by 2015 during a press conference in March 2012 (later 2016 was mentioned). Most annoucements in the past, the design phase was complete. This is the first major project that comes to my mind in recent era where the land was announced before the design phase even really started.

I know many on here keep saying Avatar is close to being dead. If true, it seems odd that they are still mentioning it in almost any forward talking press release. The date on the link is today, so it seems pretty new. Anything is possible, but if it were truly on the cutting room floor, they are digging themselves a bigger hole in saying that construction is still expected to begin in 2013.

From the release "a project of this size typically takes approximately five years to design and build".
totally agree with this..if this isnt happening why keep mentioning it

OFTeric

I understand that, I also understand a lot of the internal politics that have been shaping a lot of what has or has not been happening with Avatar.

There are a lot of egos at play here, and I got caught in the cross hairs almost a year ago, when a close friend who has involvement. I was told at that time that Avatar was dead, buried etc and they asked me to share that. So I did.

What I found out later was that I was used as a pawn in an ego battle. The same thing has happened with a lot of other people. People who are close to this project basically using the online community in their ing contest.

And my reaction was more of a parody sentiment for the average person. That if you are going to announce something, keep reinforcing that it is coming, and take over 5 years to do it, it needs to be damn good.

Genie of the Lamp

IF it goes forward...2016 at the absolute earliest.

It isn't dead...just limping along. It'll make it if someone picks it up and carries it.

Hey @Lee, do you think it's a posibility that maybe (with a strong IF) one of the micro reasons why this project is stalling is because they simply want to wait and see how the 2nd and 3rd films do at the box office? I mean the first one was great and did tremendous at the box office but it seems that people/moviewatchers took little knowledge with them once they left the theater and tried to post analyze the film. Maybe the 2nd and 3rd films can better explain/setting up the story of the Natavi/characters. Again I know this isn't why this project is being stalled but one could think that since Disney has been know to make modifications from their original design concepts for lands, attractions,etc. hence was the case with NFL they could follow the same approach here (even with the plans already set in stone).

Rodan75

I agree the press release was a curious way of touching base without saying anything. I'm thinking it was more for internal politics than for public consumption. Wonder if Cameron's folks are getting worried about Disney's investment to their franchise.

It felt like MM + was downplayed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom