AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

erasure fan1

I don't think that Pandora is the way to go for DAK (I'd much prefer a Mythical Realm or even Australia) but if they are sold on putting in DAK I would hope that it would be done to the level of detail as the rest of the park. Given the resources, it could fit in just fine and have just as an importance to the park as the rest of the lands but we all just have to wait and see how it turns out and how much the imagineers have to work with.
Thats just it, could it be great? Yea. Could it be an epic fail? Of course. I could think of a bunch of additions I would rather have before Avatar but I can still see the potential of what they could do with the IP.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Just for fun, let's post our individual assessment of the odds that Avland is happening at this point. I'm going with a 21.624% chance. Since I'm not an insider, give me the outsider weighting factor of 0.126. My calculations show (I used Bayes theorem, I'm really tired of the frequentist approach to statistics) that the insider weighting factor should be 0.316. I'll let you know the official Vegas odds after there have been some more numbers thrown out. :lookaroun

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
First posts since December 20th. Lot's of excitement surrounding this. haha.

I'd say the odds are a little better then even that it happens. Too many big egos involved. Then again, what do I know, maybe it won't happen.

twebber55

been down this road before (people claiming it to be DOA) ill be a little more patient and at least wait until this summer to rule it gone forever, if only that the CEO IS in favor of doing it

Sped2424

I mean there is a giant life tree at animal kingdom and in the movie when visiting the section of avatar land at the park they would probably refer to the tree of life as eywa I feel like avatar land would really fit in just fine with the rest of the park.

Genie of the Lamp

I wonder what would happen if one of the press reporters were to ask Georgie or Rhodey about the state of Avatar if it wasn't mentioned previously in the April "Around the World" presentation. They'd have deer in the headlight looks. In all honesty, I have to take @Arewethereyet! answer cause that's what most likely is going to happen as this will be the first publicly known big risk Iger has taken that will fail along with more to come in my book (hopefully I'm wrong). Plus if you expect this to be cancelled or significantly modified/scaled back like last time, then Avatar aint looking good at least from an average person's viewpoint and ours to a certain extent as well.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I mean there is a giant life tree at animal kingdom and in the movie when visiting the section of avatar land at the park they would probably refer to the tree of life as eywa I feel like avatar land would really fit in just fine with the rest of the park.

Okie dokie

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I want Beastly Kingdom... :(

That ship has unfortunately sailed. If you could hurry up and make a movie that grosses $500 million and features bigfoot, unicorns, dragons, the Lochness Monster, a Chupacabra and a snipe they might consider it.

Most seem to think Avland is unlikely at this point. A follow up question is this - Does Disney end up with egg on their collective faces? It seems like this has gotten more attention than other announced things that weren't built. Steve has had blue people on the front page banner of this site for a a over a year now. I think he could seek financial compensation. lol

Jimmy Thick

Um, big media hype.
Creator is involved.
Huge franchise.
Big media hype.
Park that still needs more.
Blue prints floating around.
Big media hype.

I think people just want to hate on Disney just to hate. I doubt Avatar is in any kind of danger and is more than likely still going to happen. Construction was scheduled in 2013 and, bear with me, probably start when Fantasyland is finished.

Jimmy Thick- Disney just has to cut costs for the Christmas bonuses you know.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Um, big media hype.
Creator is involved.
Huge franchise.
Big media hype.
Park that still needs more.
Blue prints floating around.
Big media hype.

I think people just want to hate on Disney just to hate. I doubt Avatar is in any kind of danger and is more than likely still going to happen. Construction was scheduled in 2013 and, bear with me, probably start when Fantasyland is finished.

Jimmy Thick- Disney just has to cut costs for the Christmas bonuses you know.

I hope your are correct. Though two big construction projects on property shouldn't be an issue especially when FLE has been needlessly drawn out. Of course, if we're really waiting on FLE to finish then we're talking 2014 unless the timetable for the mine train has been moved up. If that is the case, I'd say they should've kept the original announcement under wraps for a while. So, Mr. Thick, are you of the opinion that all the insiders saying this thing is on life support are full of doo-doo?

RSoxNo1

I want Beastly Kingdom... :(
We want Beastly Kingdom because we've seen concept art for it and we understand it. I don't doubt that the original incarnation of Beastly Kingdom could be succesful if they dusted off those plans. However, I could be just as excited by another concept as well. The opposition that the public has had with Avatar is that there has been a lack of information on it and the public has essentially had to speculate what's coming. This speculation is based on the source material and not much else.

The verifiable information that has come out is that a simulator attraction is in the works as well as a boat ride. If on September 20th, 2011 the announcement wasn't World of Avatar, but instead "E-ticket simulator, C-ticket boat ride, theme TBD" I think people would be far more intrigued.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom