AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

devoy1701

It's not one account. It's backed up by numerous people, books, and articles. I suggest you also read Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacberg there is a big section in that book that covers the same time period from a different perspective.

Also LOL @ the guy who suggested reading "Work in Progress" first of all it was written in the 90s long before the really bad decisions started happening (like maintenance cuts that led to broken rides and eventually customer deaths) and the big fallout with Roy Disney and alot of talent. Second of all it's written by Eisner himself while the books I recommend are written by independent third parties including multiple perspectives from different people and groups. On top of all thta, in the book Work in Progress Eisner even admits that he had difficulties running the company after Frank Wells died.

:rolleyes:

The guy who wrote DisneyWar was not really an independent third party, he was sanctioned by Eisner and was allowed to follow him around for quite some time gaining important insight on key situations. However, James Stewart also didn't have a very high opinion of Eisner during the whole ordeal...so to say that it isn't biased is just ignorant. (actually anyone who thinks you can get a complete understanding of something from reading just one book is ignorant as well). While it includes multiple perspectives, the author still uses those perspectives to make his point and tell the story.

Why would you not want to read Work in Progress anyway? If you want to form an opinion on the subject and get as much information as possible you need to read both sides. And Work In Progress is a great example and exemplar into Eisner's thought process. While it skirts around some key issues (but does encompass both Katzenburg's dismissal as well as Frank's death), it's a key into what Eisner thought was important, and what situations and facts he homed in on...and how he really didn't see a flaw in his leadership styles. ALL of that is important to fully understand the rise and fall of Eisner and his Disney Company.

I've spent a few years researching the Disney Company and the leadership styles of the company's past CEOs. If you want to get a better understanding for the company, there's no way I wouldn't recommend reading Work in Progress.

Captain Neo

:rolleyes:

The guy who wrote DisneyWar was not really an independent third party, he was sanctioned by Eisner and was allowed to follow him around for quite some time gaining important insight on key situations. However, James Stewart also didn't have a very high opinion of Eisner during the whole ordeal...so to say that it isn't biased is just ignorant. (actually anyone who thinks you can get a complete understanding of something from reading just one book is ignorant as well). While it includes multiple perspectives, the author still uses those perspectives to make his point and tell the story.

Why would you not want to read Work in Progress anyway? If you want to form an opinion on the subject and get as much information as possible you need to read both sides. And Work In Progress is a great example and exemplar into Eisner's thought process. While it skirts around some key issues (but does encompass both Katzenburg's dismissal as well as Frank's death), it's a key into what Eisner thought was important, and what situations and facts he homed in on...and how he really didn't see a flaw in his leadership styles. ALL of that is important to fully understand the rise and fall of Eisner and his Disney Company.

I've spent a few years researching the Disney Company and the leadership styles of the company's past CEOs. If you want to get a better understanding for the company, there's no way I wouldn't recommend reading Work in Progress.

But I just said there are multiple books and interviews from other people's perspectives. The recent Steve Jobs book by Walter Isaacberg for example. The documentary "The Pixar Story" also touches on this incident. When you have so many different parties from Stewart to Roy Disney to Pixar to Steve Jobs all saying Eisner was the problem guess what? Eisner might just be the problem!

devoy1701

But I just said there are multiple books and interviews from other people's perspectives. The recent Steve Jobs book by Walter Isaacberg for example. The documentary "The Pixar Story" also touches on this incident. When you have so many different parties from Stewart to Roy Disney to Pixar to Steve Jobs all saying Eisner was the problem guess what? Eisner might just be the problem!

I never said that Eisner wasn't the problem, but reading his words (albeit heavily edited) adds a very interesting and insightful level of complexity to the whole ordeal. If you want to form your own opinion on the subject...you don't just read up on "one side" of it...no matter how many different perspectives you think you're getting, it's still just one side. Katzenburg and Jobs might have said the same sorts of things about Eisner during different interviews on the subject. But without Eisner's interjections and thoughts, you can't paint the whole picture. DisneyWar does a great job giving some Eisner dialogue...but throughout most of the book he maintains a negative light on the guy and gives the impression of a clueless moron who can't keep his words straight and doublesback on every other conversation you have with him, it's not in your face...but that's the underlying tone I got from it.

Anyway, IMO Eisner in his heyday > Bob Iger. Eisner during his manic years = more interesting than Bob Iger.

Captain Neo

I never said that Eisner wasn't the problem, but reading his words (albeit heavily edited) adds a very interesting and insightful level of complexity to the whole ordeal. If you want to form your own opinion on the subject...you don't just read up on "one side" of it...no matter how many different perspectives you think you're getting, it's still just one side. Katzenburg and Jobs might have said the same sorts of things about Eisner during different interviews on the subject. But without Eisner's interjections and thoughts, you can't paint the whole picture. DisneyWar does a great job giving some Eisner dialogue...but throughout most of the book he maintains a negative light on the guy and gives the impression of a clueless moron who can't keep his words straight and doublesback on every other conversation you have with him, it's not in your face...but that's the underlying tone I got from it.

Anyway, IMO Eisner in his heyday > Bob Iger. Eisner during his manic years = more interesting than Bob Iger.

Because that's exactly the kind of person Michael Eisner is. I mean jesus there was a reason shareholders had to literally pry him away from the CEO position.

Bob Iger is far more humble and has a more strategic mind. He knows that he himself isn't the visionary type so what he does is recruits and surrounds himself with the top talent from different fields (Jobs, Cameron, Lucas, Lasseter, etc.). He also smart enough to know to quit while he is ahead and that's why he will be stepping down in 2016 and allowing someone new to take the wheel. Michael Eisner wanted a permanent spot at the top and was hoping to start his own dynasty.

Sir-Disney

So let's say there is a coaster in the Avatar land. What could you all imagine it being? Do you think it would represent the dragon flight? Or could you see it being of the voyage to Pandora? I was kind of thinking it might be really cool if the coaster travelled through all of the Pandora area. If the whole thing is indoors, it would be neat to have the coaster travel throughout the entire environment.. which could still represent dragon flight. Thoughts?

G00fyDad

I don't care what they plan to do as long as they don't go 100% stupid and try turning the Tree of Life into the Tree of Souls. :(

Jim Possible

Fine... demo or move Monster's Inc Laugh Floor and include that space too.

The Laugh Floor belongs in Pixar Place. Nothing about it screams "Tomorrowland" to me, and Pixar Place is kinda sad with just one attraction.

That being said, Carousel of Progress belongs in Epcot.

(What?)

NoChesterHester

So, as off topic as everything is, I'd just like to comment on the Rohde statement from today about the Avatar area being under the very very beginning stages of development. Honestly I'm surprised more people haven't talked about that. Those of you with more experience, who have seen his "early stage" responses before... How do you feel about his response? Do you think he is confident in the follow-through potential for the Avatar area? We can obviously see how incredibly excited he is about the budget and limitless design posibilities. But was there anything about his statement that leads any of you to doubt his confidence?

Six months is plenty of time for a design team to develop good concepts, concept art, and have a pretty good idea of what it will cost. Meanwhile - we have seen nothing since the announcement. That lends credence to the statement by some here that the project isn't really progressing.

"Early stage" six months later is a troubling state of affairs for a high profile project.

Gregoryp73

I don't care what they plan to do as long as they don't go 100% stupid and try turning the Tree of Life into the Tree of Souls. :(

I don't think they would ever do this...You do this to the park icon, and all of a sudden the whole park is pandora...

I'm sticking with the "pandora nature preserve on earth" concept. I think we will get a couple quick dining options, a couple of giftshops..an avatar show (maybe a night-time event that is like a Na'vi luau/ceremonial show outdoors where the forest comes alive), One 'E' ticket and a couple of smaller rides (like carsland). That 'E' ticket would most likely be a simulator type ride (something they do not currently have at AK)...and If so I would love to see something on par with Kong 360....as in HD 3d, and think star tours without being enclosed. So essentially a cross between soarin, and star tours.

G00fyDad

I don't think they would ever do this...You do this to the park icon, and all of a sudden the whole park is pandora...
I'm sticking with the "pandora nature preserve on earth" concept. I think we will get a couple quick dining options, a couple of giftshops..an avatar show (maybe a night-time event that is like a Na'vi luau/ceremonial show outdoors where the forest comes alive), One 'E' ticket and a couple of smaller rides (like carsland). That 'E' ticket would most likely be a simulator type ride (something they do not currently have at AK)...and If so I would love to see something on par with Kong 360....as in HD 3d, and think star tours without being enclosed. So essentially a cross between soarin, and star tours.

I agree, but TDO's track record is kind of against them at this point. :) I know, I realize that they would not do this but it is a worst case scenario that almost gives me nightmares. :)

erasure fan1

You missed the most important part of any new Disney expansion......

A Meet & Greet!!! :lookaroun

G00fyDad

It could have been worse....

Thunder Mesa :hurl:
thundermesa1.jpg

jt04

I really like this and it solves a lot of theming issues and potential cost requirements. It may not mesh perfectly with the DAK model but then neither does CMM or the placement of Nemo or Dinorama (IMO). And it would definitely work with the average guest I think who view DAK as a well themed zoo made up of 'lands'.

The Kong 360 is a great concept. And it especially works if you are seeing Pandora etc 'virtually' if you catch my meaning.

Very cool.

G00fyDad

Wait...are you disparaging Thunder Mesa?!?!:eek:
First time I've ever heard that....and it confuses me...:lookaroun

Maybe it is the way that Neverland.com described it. Just sounded too 1950's to me. Almost like Little House on the Prarie. :hurl:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom