AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Tom

Beta Return
It could have been worse....

Thunder Mesa :hurl:
thundermesa1.jpg

WHAT????? WRE would have been incredible!

Wait...are you disparaging Thunder Mesa?!?!:eek:
First time I've ever heard that....and it confuses me...:lookaroun

Me too.

No, sir.
It would have been awesome.

Yes!

G00fyDad

Wow. All hail Big Thunder Mesa! LOL I didn't realize there was such an interest in this idea. Maybe it would have been decent, or even awesome. I suppose the article I read just made it sound too corney. I tell you exactly what image popped into my mind when I read the article, the campground the Griswalds stopped at in Nat. Lampoons Vacation.

tl77

The Duck

Nah...

WRE +BTM+ Thunder Mesa building > SM + BTM

IMHSHO

But, it's a pointless debate.

Here's a pointless debate to ponder. Would WRE have cost more than Carsland or Avatarland? Since excessive cost (in 1970's dollars) was a major factor in scrapping WRE, could cost be a deciding factor in scrapping Avatarland?

Captain Neo

Nah...

WRE +BTM+ Thunder Mesa building > SM + BTM

IMHSHO

But, it's a pointless debate.

I'm going off an old Jim Hill article but from what I know the version of thunder mountain that would have been part of Thunder Mesa would have been a lot smaller scale and mostly indoors with a forward/backward section. Basically the bat cave from BTM + the first part of Expedition Everest.

Plus, Splash Mountain (in DL) saved all those great Marc Davis America Sings AA's from destruction so I give props to Baxter and Gordon for that.

Skibum1970

Just look at the Grizzly Gulch area in Hong Kong Disneyland that is currently being built. I would think that something along those lines would have been very nice. I don't know much about Thunder Mesa but GG seems like a good replacement idea.

Captain Neo

Just look at the Grizzly Gulch area in Hong Kong Disneyland that is currently being built. I would think that something along those lines would have been very nice. I don't know much about Thunder Mesa but GG seems like a good replacement idea.

replacement for what?

Skibum1970

I would say Tom Sawyer Island but having Big Thunder there may be redundant. Otherwise, Grizzly Gulch or a derivative could be in Animal Kingdom. Of course, one could argue the Expedition Everest makes it redundant there as well. Okay, so it may not be a good replacement.

Still, I wish that WDW would receive something along those lines, in terms of theming. I still see Tokyo DisneySea pictures and am in awe of what was accomplished. If Avatar Land rivaled that park (or even just a piece such as Journey To The Center of the Earth), it would be a great addition.

Cornballman

Haven't seen anything lately. Any news? Any updates? Any anything? One would think with universal doing hp 2.0 expansion we might be hearing something.........bueller?

bubbles1812

Haven't seen anything lately. Any news? Any updates? Any anything? One would think with universal doing hp 2.0 expansion we might be hearing something.........bueller?
All quiet on the eastern front ;) Though the western front has at least been active...not that it is relevant to WDW. :D

menamechris

I haven't heard anything new - but Kevin Yee suggested in one of his posts that the new meet and greet location (taking the place of one of the stores) could be to beegin to move the characters out of Camp Mickey-Minnie. I suppose so construction of some sort can begin sooner rather than later. Even if its just leveling the area to have a clean slate.

Unfortunately, I don't expect to hear anything of substance about anything until the Carsland frenzy dies down. Then they will need some material to fill the Disney Parks Blog with. Then maybe we will get some info about not just Avatar, but other WDW opening dates and announcements. But right now...corporate is pretty much all wrapped up in what's happening in CA...

RSoxNo1

I think Beastly Bazaar's conversion to meet and greets is linked to them needing an indoor meet and greet location in that park. It very well may be linked to World of Avatar, but it was needed regardless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom