Avatar Flight of Passage reviews, comments and questions

180º

What do you know the capacity to be for Flight of Passage vs. say Test Track which I assume would be #2 for E-tickets. I've got theoretical capacity for Flight of Passage at around 1440, but more accurately in the 1000-1200 range.

Here's a recent video shot from entrance to exit with only one or two cuts. If you watch closely, there is a subtle cross-dissolve after the videographer has mounted the link chair, but it doesn't seem like much time passes. Taking into account the roughly 6.5 minutes that pass from the time the load gate opens to the time the rider exits the link chamber, I'd guess the entire cycle took around 7 minutes. Of course, many factors can prevent an attraction from running efficiently, but let's say FoP had a really good hour of 7 minute cycles in four full theaters. It's rare, but entirely possible. In that hour, FoP would have played to 1,645 riders.

All this is to say I doubt FoP will ever average 1,645 riders per hour, and especially being new, it's seen some poor hours with greatly reduced capacity. But I'm inclined to think the 1,000 estimate is a bit unfair. 1200-1440 seems like a conservative enough figure for an normal day.

Kman101

It's morning EMH that day, unfortunately and Epcot evening the next.

Thanks. Will try that. I should be able to get in line between 12 and 3.

Also check for a fastpass for FOP the day of. It doesn't always pop up and unfortunately you may need to check your phone often, but I've checked a couple of days in the afternoon and saw it pop up. May be for later in the evening but still. I was surprised. Again, no guarantee but maybe worth a check?

RSoxNo1

Here's a recent video shot from entrance to exit with only one or two cuts. If you watch closely, there is a subtle cross-dissolve after the videographer has mounted the link chair, but it doesn't seem like much time passes. Taking into account the roughly 6.5 minutes that pass from the time the load gate opens to the time the rider exits the link chamber, I'd guess the entire cycle took around 7 minutes. Of course, many factors can prevent an attraction from running efficiently, but let's say FoP had a really good hour of 7 minute cycles in four full theaters. It's rare, but entirely possible. In that hour, FoP would have played to 1,645 riders.

All this is to say I doubt FoP will ever average 1,645 riders per hour, and especially being new, it's seen some poor hours with greatly reduced capacity. But I'm inclined to think the 1,000 estimate is a bit unfair. 1200-1440 seems like a conservative enough figure for an normal day.

There has been a significant conversation about this on these forums and Twitter. 7 is the target but it's rarely achieved. Combine that with the significant down time for theater cleanup and actual capacity is not hitting 1645.

180º

There has been a significant conversation about this on these forums and Twitter. 7 is the target but it's rarely achieved. Combine that with the significant down time for theater cleanup and actual capacity is not hitting 1645.
I'm well aware, like I said. Still think 1000 is an unfair estimate and 1200-1400 is conservative enough.

Last edited:

djkidkaz

Something else hindering the times a little right now is that right after the ride ends, families are all getting off the bikes and having conversations about "how awesome that was". I've been on this ride a bunch of times now since it's opened and I see it on every ride through. People aren't just grabbing there stuff from the bins and walking out, they are chatting about the experience.

Obviously once the new-ness has worn off, this will be a non-issue, but for now, its a small factor.

matt9112

rode FOP for the first time during public access (last time was AP preview) and it was still truly amazing....by far the best single attraction IMHO at Disney in terms of raw wow factor.

wait time wasn't even awful with EMH. went right to the line (stretched down boardwalk) and waited roughly 25 minutes or so to ride.
this is key. I would never wait hours for any attraction. however the attraction is really well done. kudos.

matt9112

I have been avoiding spoilers until I finally got a chance to ride myself. I did so 3 times last week. The ride is amazing. It's exactly what DAK needed. A "thrill ride" that is easy enough for most riders. I didn't get to experience the Standby Queue but the theming around the entire land is spectacular. They knocked it out of the park. The only thing I didn't like about the attraction is the multiple pre-shows. Not only did they take an extremely long time (especially the first one), but they're not even interesting and the actor that's delivering the lines is awful. So, that aside, the ride itself and the queue is perfection IMO.

pretty sure the actor is playing the role of very non social nerdy scientist and he nails it....i love it and have no idea why so many people don't like it.

WDWFREAK53

exactly! it's like people want a confident tomcruise intro....that wouldn't fit the role at all.

His delivery is like he's reading off of cards. He's not naturally awkward. It's completely evident in the way he says, "Uh-Oh" and "Hmm" those aren't "thought out responses," they are involuntary and reactionary...his delivery is as if he is literally reading those words and saying them.

doctornick

Exactly. I don't know why everyone is missing the point of him. He speaks to the camera just awkwardly and conversationally as Jake does in his recordings in the movie.

Yeah, I thought it was actually refreshing to have a pre-show that was less polished and artificial. It added to the realism in the ride in selling the conceit. Heck, even the ride delays in getting you into the room are so well executed that they seem like a normal part of the show (the decontamination stuff). They really did a fantastic job at making everything for this ride make it as convincing as possible.

djkidkaz

Whenever I see him in the pre-show it looks like someone who was given a script with 5 minutes to read it and then say it. At first I was like "uhhh...ok, what is with this awful acting" but its kind of grown on me now.

raymusiccity

Ride 3 times last week:
- arrived at 7:35am for 8am EMH. Sign said 2 hours when we passed under it (after doing the bridge loop), only waited 50 min.
- went to EMH in the evening. Got in line at 10:42pm. Wait time said 125min. Reached the floating Avatar in the lab at 11:41pm. Walked out of the ride at 12:05am.
- rode the third time with FP+ that we had for the last day of our trip.

So yes, lines were about 50%-60% of what was posted during morning and evening EMHs. Most importantly because FP is not operational during EMH, the line moves constantly.

It always makes me smile when people rationalize long waits as 'only an hour and 42 minutes'

MiddKid

It always makes me smile when people rationalize long waits as 'only an hour and 42 minutes'

Not sure you meant to quote my post like you did, but we never waited more than hour...never said an hour and 42 minutes. Just trying to point out that we rode 3 times in one week and never waited the posted amount. Always significantly less!

Rationalizing wait times is a useless exercise as it is totally based on the context of the wait. If I were at AK for one day and knew I wasn't coming back for a few years, 1:42 would be "reasonable." If I were an AP who came often, definitely not. Reasonableness of time is dependent on day, situation, traveling party, etc.

That night I mentioned that I got into line during EMH and the posted wait was 125min...I rationalized that because I was by myself and I wanted to enjoy everything at night. My wife and three kids were asleep at the Beach Club. Would not have gotten on that same line at 2pm in the afternoon with the whole family and the heat. I also knew that our next WDW trip is likely 3 years from now.

Longest two waits of my life:
Disneyland's Splash Mountain Opening Year, 1989: Waited 2 hours and 45 minutes. Worth it at the time. I was young. It was my first trip to Disneyland (lived on the east coast). Splash was brand new (wouldn't come to WDW for another 3 years). Would never wait that today. Mind blowing at the time!

Six Flags Great Adventure El Toro Opening week: It was opening week of this amazing new coaster and they only had one train running. I was by myself (kids were too young) and I had grown up going to SFGAd so the other rides were irrelevant. Waited 3 hours. Worth every minute. That ride blew my socks off. Again, would never wait that long today...was only worth it at that moment.

raymusiccity

Not sure you meant to quote my post like you did, but we never waited more than hour...never said an hour and 42 minutes. Just trying to point out that we rode 3 times in one week and never waited the posted amount. Always significantly less!

Rationalizing wait times is a useless exercise as it is totally based on the context of the wait. If I were at AK for one day and knew I wasn't coming back for a few years, 1:42 would be "reasonable." If I were an AP who came often, definitely not. Reasonableness of time is dependent on day, situation, traveling party, etc.

That night I mentioned that I got into line during EMH and the posted wait was 125min...I rationalized that because I was by myself and I wanted to enjoy everything at night. My wife and three kids were asleep at the Beach Club. Would not have gotten on that same line at 2pm in the afternoon with the whole family and the heat. I also knew that our next WDW trip is likely 3 years from now.

Longest two waits of my life:
Disneyland's Splash Mountain Opening Year, 1989: Waited 2 hours and 45 minutes. Worth it at the time. I was young. It was my first trip to Disneyland (lived on the east coast). Splash was brand new (wouldn't come to WDW for another 3 years). Would never wait that today. Mind blowing at the time!

Six Flags Great Adventure El Toro Opening week: It was opening week of this amazing new coaster and they only had one train running. I was by myself (kids were too young) and I had grown up going to SFGAd so the other rides were irrelevant. Waited 3 hours. Worth every minute. That ride blew my socks off. Again, would never wait that long today...was only worth it at that moment.
I certainly took it out of context. I agree that certain waits aren't worth it under certain circumstances. We'd never try standing in line for Peter Pan during the summer heat. The snake line moves so slowly without any hint of a breeze.

BringMeTheHoriz

Late to the party, but after not receiving the AP preview notifications and having zero luck for fastpasses since Pandora opened, I finally took advantage of the lack of crowds yesterday (pre-Irma) to ride FoP and NRJ. Note that I avoided all discussion on this topic, all pictures, all previews, etc so I could have a Cars Land moment at WDW for the first time in...forever.

And after all the waiting and not spoiling anything for myself...I did not have such a moment. Pandora is a well put together land, don't get me wrong, but maybe its my adult mind or maybe its my going in the daytime, but it wasn't a "WOW" like Cars Land was for me. What I think I can attribute that to is there's no real 'landmark' from the first movie here. Sure you have the 'floating' mountains, but as much of an engineering feat as they are, the angles and perspectives that you are given in viewing them from all the pathways just doesn't sell the forced perspective as well as I was expecting. Still a really good use of rockwork, fake plants, waterfalls, and colors though.

FoP's queue I thought was very well done up until the pre-ride films. I'm not expecting a show the moment I enter the building, so gradually going through the forest into the lab was perfect to me. The use of tech and screens for some of the lab experiments was awesome, and the Avatar in the tube was pretty mind-blowing. Sure the queue didn't have that scale or grandeur that Gringotts has, but that queue is an exception and not the rule.

The pre-shows fell flat on myself and girlfriend. We both understood the whole premise and what they were setting us up for, but the delivery was off. I know the gentleman is supposed to be portraying a socially awkward scientist, but many of his cues sounded too much like he was reading off a cue card that he received not 5 minutes prior to shooting. We also felt that there were some elements in the shows that they could've done without entirely (like the 'decontamination' and the needless arm shaking and moving around). The second pre-show movie was a bit better, as it's important to instruct people how to sit to help reduce load times.

That said, on to the actual ride. First, the ride vehicles are nothing like what I imagined for FoP. I guess when Disney was advertising and hyping up flying on a banshee, I thought it would be an actual banshee that you were straddling. The breathing effect was a great touch, but it wasn't enough to sell the fact that I was supposed to be on a banshee. Without the perspective of a head or something, its never going to feel any more to me than a camera flying through Pandora

The movie itself is very well done and did not leave me with any sense of motion sickness, which is something I'm prone to on just about every 3-D ride. This is a big deal to me and certainly ensures that I will re-ride FoP many times in the future. The only thing I can nit-pick on with the actual film was the lack of any musical score in the beginning part of it...just made it feel like awkward flying around.

My BIGGEST gripe with the ride was how insecure the glasses felt on my head. I've been on many 3-D rides and I can never remember having worn a more insecure feeling pair of spectacles in my life. I kept having to push the glasses back on to the bridge of my nose...very frustrating.

All said, FoP is probably tied with the Safari as the best ride in the park (sorry, but you can't beat some of the "wow" moments you can have on the safari ride). Its a very good E-Ticket ride, but its not the 'best ride in Orlando' as I've heard my friends throw around.

Navi River Journey obviously doesn't have much of a plot, but I thought as far as a sit down boat ride, its a fun little journey through nighttime in Pandora. Well put together, especially some of the screen effects, but with that said its not something I'd wait any measurable time for. The queue area I thought was really nice.

FoP TLDR:

Pros:
-Great queue
-Well put together film leaving me with zero motion sickness.

Cons:
-Awkward preshow actor and elements in the preshow that could be left out
-3-D glasses that don't feel secure at all
-Never had the feeling I was on a banshee

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Since I live in Clearwater, power has been off for a few days, and my office remained closed today, I decided I might as well go to WDW. Why stay at home in the dark, bored out of my mind and sitting in 90 degree heat when I can go stand in 3 hour lines for FOP instead!

I honestly don't know how the lines get so long so fast. Today may have been different since many other attractions at DAK weren't open yet.

ANYWAY, this is the second time I've ridden FOP. The first was a few months ago and I wanted to see if my feelings had changed or if the "new-ness" was just the first time riding it.

No....not in the least. The best way I can describe it is a technological and emotional tour de force. The amount of various things that happen, while feeling natural and not staged like a lot of 3D attractions....the length and pacing of this ride, and the swelling of the native music toward the end....so difficult to convey for anyone who hasn't tried it themselves.

I'm also very surprised about the people who thought it wasn't very good, but I think that has to do with them being distracted by the 3D glasses fitment and seeing the other riders. The important thing is to just focus on the screen as it does have the Back to the Future/Soarin' drawback a bit if you look at the other cars around you, takes you out of the action a bit.

rioriz

Since I live in Clearwater, power has been off for a few days, and my office remained closed today, I decided I might as well go to WDW. Why stay at home in the dark, bored out of my mind and sitting in 90 degree heat when I can go stand in 3 hour lines for FOP instead!

I honestly don't know how the lines get so long so fast. Today may have been different since many other attractions at DAK weren't open yet.

ANYWAY, this is the second time I've ridden FOP. The first was a few months ago and I wanted to see if my feelings had changed or if the "new-ness" was just the first time riding it.

No....not in the least. The best way I can describe it is a technological and emotional tour de force. The amount of various things that happen, while feeling natural and not staged like a lot of 3D attractions....the length and pacing of this ride, and the swelling of the native music toward the end....so difficult to convey for anyone who hasn't tried it themselves.

I'm also very surprised about the people who thought it wasn't very good, but I think that has to do with them being distracted by the 3D glasses fitment and seeing the other riders. The important thing is to just focus on the screen as it does have the Back to the Future/Soarin' drawback a bit if you look at the other cars around you, takes you out of the action a bit.

Im tired...just getting home to South Florida. Finally experienced Pandora in person after years of getting bits and pieces from a friend on the project. This post summed up my feelings for FoP so quoted it. Emotionally i felt "Part of their World" for a momment and i was speechless when it was done. Not the best ride in the world but the best experience overall id say!

Ill put a full review up later but have to say it was interesting to compare and contrast the inside knowledge i was relayed to what was actually there....sameness but different.

I generally respect the job our insiders plus others... do to keep us informed and now understand why they often keep their mouth shut on things unless they are surely confident. They prob have much better sources than my friends company who was contracted to work on parts of NRJ. While many things were correct on what i was told, some weren't.

Anywho...Pandora was amazing, during the day....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom