Avatar Flight of Passage reviews, comments and questions

180º

It's an E-ticket attraction that gets 1000-1300 an hour. That's abhorrent.
When and where did we first hear this number? Not at all to discredit you, because I consider your estimates to be very reliable, but – I can't remember whether this figure is corroborated by insiders/cast or if it was just an educated guess. I know we discussed capacity theories before in one of these threads and both came to about the same conclusion.

peter11435

When and where did we first hear this number? Not at all to discredit you, because I consider your estimates to be very reliable, but – I can't remember whether this figure is corroborated by insiders/cast or if it was just an educated guess. I know we discussed capacity theories before in one of these threads and both came to about the same conclusion.
In a perfect world the attraction could carry slightly over 1900 per hour as designed. Unfortunately it is far from a perfect world and the attraction generally carries something in line with the 1000-1300 estimate.

Eah727

So I dont know if anyone has talked about this but the ride has a MAJOR flaw. The premise of the ride is that you are li ked to an avatar that is already riding a banshee. This is impossible. If anyone has seen the movie avatars don't just move around by themselves unless they are already linked to someone so how is an avatar a already on a banshee waiting. MAJOR PLOT FLAW. This along with a fake Sigorney Weaver in tthe preshow is details that Disney should not be overlooking. Nice ride technology but what an epic fail in the storyline.

Jones14

So I dont know if anyone has talked about this but the ride has a MAJOR flaw. The premise of the ride is that you are li ked to an avatar that is already riding a banshee. This is impossible. If anyone has seen the movie avatars don't just move around by themselves unless they are already linked to someone so how is an avatar a already on a banshee waiting. MAJOR PLOT FLAW. This along with a fake Sigorney Weaver in tthe preshow is details that Disney should not be overlooking. Nice ride technology but what an epic fail in the storyline.
The ride takes place nearly a century after the movie. It's not at all unreasonable to presume that the tech has advanced enough to not need a human "driving" the Avatar for the purposes of the experience.

Eah727

Makes no sense.....not explained at all. So if star wars land opens and they have a c3po rolling around with wheels instead of walking on legs we are just supposed to create our own story arouind why? Dumb....and seems lazy and too convenient. Not like i look at avatar as a good enough property to be building lands for anyway. People probably don't even question it though. The ride itself will always be popular jist becaise of the great flying experience but this will not be a long-term draw for Disney. I got into many arguments about Disney's decision to build a land based on one eye candy movie with a subpar plot and i have won every arguement with 1 question. Name 1 character in avatar. I have yet to meet some on that can do that.on the spot.

djkidkaz

Does anyone have thoughts on how late you have to arrive in order to avoid the extreme congestion of the morning rush? For example, with a 9:00 AM park opening, would one be able to walk relatively comfortably through Pandora if one arrives in the park at 10:00 AM and enters the land around 10:30 AM to walk around and then get in the standby queue for FoP.

Pandora as a whole is not an issue to move around in. The area is pretty open all day.

peter11435

Makes no sense.....not explained at all. So if star wars land opens and they have a c3po rolling around with wheels instead of walking on legs we are just supposed to create our own story arouind why? Dumb....and seems lazy and too convenient. Not like i look at avatar as a good enough property to be building lands for anyway. People probably don't even question it though. The ride itself will always be popular jist becaise of the great flying experience but this will not be a long-term draw for Disney. I got into many arguments about Disney's decision to build a land based on one eye candy movie with a subpar plot and i have won every arguement with 1 question. Name 1 character in avatar. I have yet to meet some on that can do that.on the spot.
Your question does nothing to win any argument. Familiarity with the source material is irrelevant to the quality or success of the land.

And as has already been mentioned above the attraction takes place a long time after the events of the film so you don't really know how avatar tech may or many not have evolved. They've told us the avatar is already on the back of a banshee we have no reason not believe this.

As for the preshow, that is not a fake Sigourney Weaver. That is an entirely new character. Remember the attraction takes place a long time after the events of the film. Weavers character Grace (look I named a character) died in the film so has been gone a very long time. The character in the attraction is Dr. Jackie Ogden.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
It's an E-ticket attraction that gets 1000-1300 an hour. That's abhorrent.

I will say, during Extra Magic Hours, when there are no FastPasses to contend with, the stand-by line is more or less constantly moving (at least from my experience) and at a decent pace (maybe half the speed of typical walking speed). I know that's not a direct indicator of ride capacity, but it certainly "feels" like it has decent capacity.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Ok, on "regular" days DAK opens at 9am. On EMH days, it opens at 8am. If you are staying on-site and are eligible for EMH, which is the better option? Either way, you pretty much have to arrive by 7:30am to get in early without much of a wait for FoP, right?

If you're willing to wait until the evening, I found that on several nights that I was there last week, the wait for River Journey and FOP both got quite reasonable. After ~11 pm, River Journey frequently had lines of 30 mins or less (one time we only waited ~10 mins) and FOP frequently had lines of 60-90 mins (the one night, if you were willing to wait until the end of the night, the line for FOP got as short as a listed 25 min wait at 11:50 pm). We also found that posted wait times during the evening EMH were significantly longer than actual waits. During EMH (when there are no FastPasses) we found that when River Journey's queue completely filled the covered portion of the queue, the wait was ~30-40 mins (though the posted wait time was frequently 20-40 mins longer than the actual wait time) and FOP's queue was ~60-70 mins from the cave entrance (though it's hard to see how much of the outdoor portion of the queue is full until you are actually in line)(the posted wait time for FOP was also typically about 15-25 mins longer than the actual wait time). Granted, we were in Pandora for four nights of EMHs and some nights the lines stayed longer right until the end, but if you're flexible and can get to AK for multiple nights, you have a decent chance of a short wait.

mbtohill

If you got to AK at 7:30 and off the ride at 9:30 you essentially waited two hours, not an hour. I always find it funny how people don't start their "wait timer" until they get in line when in actuality all that time spent getting their early, waiting to get in, scanned, etc all mine as well be the same as just standing in the 2.5 hour line and having a much smoother entrance into the park.

True, but you're "losing" 2.5 hours of park time in your scenario....that's the HUGE difference.

Fizban257

So, if you show up an hour and a half before opening, you only have a half hour from tapstile to ride? That's great! It certainly beats a two hour wait!!

:D
LOL.

Except I was leaving Pandora at 9:15 a.m. ready to ride the rest of the park with almost no waits at that hour of the day. I don't mind waiting outside the park with a coffee first thing in the morning to then have almost no waits on every ride all day. Waiting for two hours at FOP at 9 a.m. leads to waiting for everything else all day too.

Marianne75

If you got to AK at 7:30 and off the ride at 9:30 you essentially waited two hours, not an hour. I always find it funny how people don't start their "wait timer" until they get in line when in actuality all that time spent getting their early, waiting to get in, scanned, etc all mine as well be the same as just standing in the 2.5 hour line and having a much smoother entrance into the park.
Good point, never really thought of it that way. On the other hand, I have the option to do other things in the middle of the afternoon. We were able to go on 3 different rides in the afternoon in a 2 hour stretch as opposed to spending that same amount of time in line for one.

Fizban257

Except for the follow-on effect for the rest of the park. Lines at 9:30 for Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, Kali, etc. are much shorter than they are at 11:30.

djkidkaz

Except for the follow-on effect for the rest of the park. Lines at 9:30 for Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, Kali, etc. are much shorter than they are at 11:30.

Absolutely, I was just commenting on the idea that people were saying that getting there early got you a shorter wait for FOP when it doesn't. Does it benefit you at the other attractions to be there early? Absolutely, but that's pretty much a given at any park.

RSoxNo1

Technically I was the first to post it when the leaked blueprints came out. I stated that assuming a 6 minute cycle time capacity would be similar to Soarin'. The problem is it's getting closer to 8 minutes.

RSoxNo1

I will say, during Extra Magic Hours, when there are no FastPasses to contend with, the stand-by line is more or less constantly moving (at least from my experience) and at a decent pace (maybe half the speed of typical walking speed). I know that's not a direct indicator of ride capacity, but it certainly "feels" like it has decent capacity.
I think they're limiting Fastpass but I dont' know that for sure.

Fizban257

Absolutely, I was just commenting on the idea that people were saying that getting there early got you a shorter wait for FOP when it doesn't. Does it benefit you at the other attractions to be there early? Absolutely, but that's pretty much a given at any park.
And with FOP, there is a downside right now — both of those early-morning rides bypassed the inside portions of the standby queue. We had to ride once during an evening EMH so we could experience the indoor bioluminescent cave and the lab. I have read that prior to July 4, even the earliest arrivers were still hustled quickly through the full queue to experience all of it.

disneygeek90

And with FOP, there is a downside right now — both of those early-morning rides bypassed the inside portions of the standby queue. We had to ride once during an evening EMH so we could experience the indoor bioluminescent cave and the lab. I have read that prior to July 4, even the earliest arrivers were still hustled quickly through the full queue to experience all of it.
That's a bummer. I'm planning on taking my family early Sunday. I hope they get a chance to see it.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I've been looking for comments about this but have they removed the 'decontamination' element? I've been thru the queue 3 times and never experienced it. I've watched videos from preview days but haven't seen evidence of it since grand opening.
Same here. I rode the ride on Thursday afternoon and on Saturday/Sunday evenings. All three times I never experienced the "decontamination" element.

Not sure if anyone else has answered this yet or not, so I will provide my input... I believe the "decontamination" element is actually a "filler" element for when the room ahead is not yet emptied or is taking longer to empty than usual (which can occur when it's taking longer than usual to load the ride). I was fortunate enough to get five rides on Flight of Passage on our recent trip (had secured two FastPasses in advance and the rest were from rides during Extra Magic Hours). During three of the rides, in the first room (refered to as the Genetic Linking Room), everything went pretty quick and "normal" (without the decontamination). However, on another ride, there was an "added" segment where it seemed like the "connection" was lost and they needed everyone to move around to help reestablish the connection (otherwise, the preshow was the same as the other three). And on the "decontamination" ride, there was both the segment with the "connection failure" AND the "decontamination" step (in addition to all the same other stuff seen the other four times). So, at least from what I can tell, if everything is moving at capacity, you won't see the "decontamination" step, but if things ahead are taking too long (maybe an oversized person that they are trying to get to fit or possibly someone with special needs that heeds longer to transfer) than you might get the decontamination step.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom