Avatar Flight of Passage reviews, comments and questions

disneygeek90

We were there about a week or so ago. This is what DAK looked like in the morning! :eek:

View attachment 216845
View attachment 216846

I have never seen so many people there at the gates before lunch time.

And for the record, during our trip, there were times in the MK and Epcot when we were literally like "where is everyone?"

View attachment 216848
View attachment 216854

We typically have been going multiple times a year and I have never witnessed either of these parks this empty in July. It was really strange. The big difference for us though was how busy DAK was. Those pictures at the gates felt like how busy Epcot could get in the morning over the past several years.
Do you know what time that was? EMH morning? That's about what it looked like for me on Opening Day.

Phantom Mickey

We were there about a week or so ago. This is what DAK looked like in the morning! :eek:

View attachment 216845
View attachment 216846

And for the record, during our trip, there were times in the MK and Epcot when we were literally like "where is everyone?"

View attachment 216848
View attachment 216854

We typically have been going multiple times a year and I have never witnessed either of these parks this empty in July. It was really strange. The big difference for us though was how busy DAK was. Those pictures at the gates felt like how busy Epcot could get in the morning over the past several years.
--------------
Animal Kingdom had been struggling in attempting to become a full day park. From what i heard, the night safari didn't work too well. Not enough lighting and the animals didn't always show for pics.
Pandora may give AK the chance to become a full day park now. But this is just being a skeptic. Pandora is brand new and everyone wants to see what Dizzy has created. This is expected to slow down at some point and then we can see what the real traffic will be like.

Phantom Mickey

I'm nervous bc FoP I think puts Soarin to shame. Soarin really has the "I'm sitting here staring at a screen" vibe and you can obviously see the screen ends. FoP was so immersive it was incredible!
----------------
FoP I think puts Soarin to shame

REALLY???
I don't think so.... different technology, different screen standards, different film tech. Sort of you get what you pay for type of deal.
Soar'n is expected to be bettered at some point but it still is a very nice example.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
----------------
FoP I think puts Soarin to shame

REALLY???
I don't think so.... different technology, different screen standards, different film tech. Sort of you get what you pay for type of deal.
Soar'n is expected to be bettered at some point but it still is a very nice example.

FoP didn't completely over write my urge to look at bendy structures on an IMAX screen, but it did lessen my urge to look at bendy structures on an IMAX screen.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

View attachment 216845
View attachment 216846

View attachment 216848
View attachment 216854

Its funny. We were there 06/04-06/10 and DAK was more crowded than usual (FoP always had massive waits), but not waaaaay more crowded. EPCOT and MK seemed to have normal crowds. However, some people were unaware Pandora had opened and after we had been, I was asked what I thought....I told them it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. So, maybe 5-6 weeks later, everyone knows it is open and they know people really like it. New things to do at WDW are going to hit pretty fast in the next 5 years. I bet, with the exception of SWland, this will have the biggest crowd distribution impact by virtue of being the first big thing.

Phantom Mickey

There often is. For instance, in the case of SWL, they plussed it - and cut an entire third part of the MGM plans and reduced the already embarrassingly underwhelming TSL plans. It's all in how you frame it.

From my understanding, there's two elements at play (correct me if I'm wrong, insiders):

1) Disney is absolutely awful at getting value for money - they spend far too much on almost every project
2) They try (and this is a generalization, but it seems to hold true) to do the least that they feel they need to do in any given situation - witness the 15 years of neglect at WDW

I would still contend that, taken in context, Pandora and MGM are not necessarily signs that the underlying problems at WDW have been resolved. While both Pandora and SWL will be (are) great, they need to be considered as part of the larger whole.

I also wonder - with inside info, we constantly talk about cuts and infighting. Without it, without the behind the scenes knowledge, all we would have seen over the last couple decades are ride closures and stagnation, without even being teased with the possibility of new attractions. Would opinions of the park really be higher?
-----------------
It seems the DISNEY that was run by Walt and Roy would create and build for the parks.
The DISNEY ran by The Disney Company seems to be a "reactionary" company. They seem to run the park for every penny they can squeeze out of your pocket, then run and spend money to bring back the element of "fresh" attractions and thus bringing back the crowds. Animal Kindom was no where near that bad, as they want to build for a full day park. But Disney STUDIOS? EPCOT Center?? Empress Lilly RIP!! Red ink overseas?. A lot of things have changed over the years and all you have to do is look.

El_Tomato

I know this isn't the most appropriate place in the forums to ask this (as this question isn't really FoP specific), but:
Does anyone know how the lines in Pandora work during nighttime EMH? Do they stay open until midnight, or do they close earlier when the line reaches its peak? (for example, 120 minutes or more means those who get in line around 10pm would get out of the ride at midnight - thus, the line would close soon after 10)

ULPO46

I know this isn't the most appropriate place in the forums to ask this (as this question isn't really FoP specific), but:
Does anyone know how the lines in Pandora work during nighttime EMH? Do they stay open until midnight, or do they close earlier when the line reaches its peak? (for example, 120 minutes or more means those who get in line around 10pm would get out of the ride at midnight - thus, the line would close soon after 10)
You are correct they close them early.

djkidkaz

--------------
Animal Kingdom had been struggling in attempting to become a full day park. From what i heard, the night safari didn't work too well. Not enough lighting and the animals didn't always show for pics.
Pandora may give AK the chance to become a full day park now. But this is just being a skeptic. Pandora is brand new and everyone wants to see what Dizzy has created. This is expected to slow down at some point and then we can see what the real traffic will be like.

I think AK still needs another attraction to help keep people in the park. A good dark ride omnimover would definitely help.

doctornick

You are correct they close them early.

Can you get in line pre-EMH time if you are eligible for EMH but the queue is "closed". i.e. EMH starts at 10PM, the line gets closed at (say) 9PM -- could a resort guest get in line at 9:30PM under the pretense of using their EMH privilege or do they not let people in line until 10PM

ULPO46

Can you get in line pre-EMH time if you are eligible for EMH but the queue is "closed". i.e. EMH starts at 10PM, the line gets closed at (say) 9PM -- could a resort guest get in line at 9:30PM under the pretense of using their EMH privilege or do they not let people in line until 10PM
Yes in theory as long as you qualify as a guest at a resort or you got on the ride before said wait time was within park closing schedule. It is the same protocol for all park attractions across the resorts. So if Test track is 120 mins, it closes to guest 2 hours before the park closes unless there is EMH and of course they check if you are a guest.

bclane

I saw a family letting their little boy pee in the FOP line when i was there. I can't believe i witnessed that.
I would have yelled at and then reported them. Idiots! That kind of thing makes me so angry and I am a very patient and forgiving person. I have had to leave a line before / miss part of a movie etc because my kids had to pee. It goes with the territory. You don't just have them pee in the queue. :mad:

WildRide

Question on timing for those who have experienced FOP recently...

We'll be there morning of August 18th (group of 8). We plan to ride FoP first thing in the morning as we do not have a fast pass. How early should we arrive before park open to ensure we are near the front of the line that will probably form to get on FoP?

At what time do they let you past the first initial gate (the area near the tree of life)? I assume you just stay left in the crowd once you get past the ticket scanners?

Thanks for any advice. Planning for 8 people's vacation dreams and aspirations has been exhausting but we're looking forward to a great trip!

Mark48

Anyone report any motion sickness yet? Comparable to HPFJ or Star Tours? Sorry... the gravitron ruined me for life. I feel sick if I just look
at spinning rides.
Rode it last week and I was fine. But I did blow chunks when i heard the price tag for Pandora.. the world of who cares. Nice to look at during night time. But thats about it. The River journey is less riveting then small world.Once the revamped studios are done this place will have major attendance issues

twebber55

Rode it last week and I was fine. But I did blow chunks when i heard the price tag for Pandora.. the world of who cares. Nice to look at during night time. But thats about it. The River journey is less riveting then small world.Once the revamped studios are done this place will have major attendance issues
you might want to get that checked out by a doctor

Disney Dad 3000

What's the current Rope Drop situation for FoP? If we arrive early for Rope Drop is it an insane mad dash? Are CM's controlling the crowds well? Will we have to wait an hour even if we are in the middle of the pack?

Will be there 8/13-8/23 with 2 full AK days planned, hoping to get on FoP more than once.

Thanks

I would also like to know. My family is coming to see it for the first time 8/13 and I'd like to get there at the best time to have a shorter wait in the morning, no EMH and no FP's available for either currently.

We did rope drop our trip on 6/30 last day there. Got to park about 645 and walked out of riding FOP about 750-55. Seemed like right around 650-7 or so is when a good chunk of people and buses started showing up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom