News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

MistaDee

The coaster point is well met, I am just used to Orlando that has had a streak of coasters, so didn’t realize it has been a long while for DLR.

But this attraction is akin to Uni’s Spider-Man or Transformers. Which is fairly complimentary and non redundant with DCA’s lineup. If the water ride is true for Avatar, that’s actually pretty good variety. Ya they are both going to be a mix of screen and practical, but they are very different feeling experiences and neither feel remotely like soaring or guardians.

For Classic dark rides, we’ll see which of Frozen, Coco, Encanto and Zootopia bubble to the top.

I don’t think any coasters are in consideration for DLR right now, strangely. Tomorrowland redo sounds 7-8 steps down in their priority list these days.

It’s also worth mentioning again this is an HK co-development, and HK doesn’t need a coaster next to Space. It needs a blow-out partially screen mediumed attraction, like Spider-Man.

I wonder what tricks WDI have up their sleeves to differentiate the experience from Universal's, hopefully a good mix of practical alongside the screens. Still feels a bit strange that some 25 years after Spiderman Disney is gonna roll out a very similar concept for its big Avengers E-ticket

Very good point RE meeting Hong Kong's needs, as well as eventually Paris Studios I imagine.

Agree that the water ride and Avengers ride will be non redundant and add some nice variety for DLR. My concern is that if Marvel or Star Wars doesn’t bring you an E ticket coaster then where do you get one? I don’t think it’s coming (or want) Tron in DL proper. I’m guessing DL Forward would at least have one coaster but based on what is the question? I’m thinking it would have to be a second Star Wars or Marvel land or GE expansion.

I understand your apprehension but I think for Avatar and Avengers, those IP in particular really benefit from their rumoured ride systems so they can feature the characters on screens.

I think its fair to guess that Cosmic Rewind's coaster system would be the next big one to come to DLR, as for IP its probably so far away that even Disney doesn't know yet. A Tron theme or even something else could come in the Speedway/Submarines area or something completely different in the Disneyland Forward expansion pad.

What IP would you want to see be the next major coaster E-ticket for DLR?

DCA needs a high capacity ride the whole family can go on. That's what it's lacking the most.

Disneyland has Small World, Pirates, Star Tours, the Railroad, and Haunted Mansion.

Heck maybe what DCA needs is a people mover. Long ride that is high capacity.

Let's keep beating that Mystic Manor/CoCo to Paradise Pier drum

mickEblu

I wonder what tricks WDI have up their sleeves to differentiate the experience from Universal's, hopefully a good mix of practical alongside the screens. Still feels a bit strange that some 25 years after Spiderman Disney is gonna roll out a very similar concept for its big Avengers E-ticket

Very good point RE meeting Hong Kong's needs, as well as eventually Paris Studios I imagine.

I understand your apprehension but I think for Avatar and Avengers, those IP in particular really benefit from their rumoured ride systems so they can feature the characters on screens.

I think its fair to guess that Cosmic Rewind's coaster system would be the next big one to come to DLR, as for IP its probably so far away that even Disney doesn't know yet. A Tron theme or even something else could come in the Speedway/Submarines area or something completely different in the Disneyland Forward expansion pad.

What IP would you want to see be the next major coaster E-ticket for DLR?

Let's keep beating that Mystic Manor/CoCo to Paradise Pier drum

I’m with you on a coaster not being the ideal ride system for Avatar. When it comes to Marvel as it stands Cosmic Rewind is Disneys best attempt so far but that makes sense as it was purpose built and had a very healthy budget. My take is a coaster would be more popular than whatever they are planning for the Avengers ride. Does it allow them to showcase all the characters/ locales in way a simulator would? Of course not but I have no doubt a coaster would be more popular and have the energy and thrill an Avengers ride should have. It doesn’t make sense to me to have the Star Wars and Marvel rides have more or less the same level of thrill as say MMRR. Which brings me back to my original point. If no thrill ride with Star Wars or Marvel then where in your IP library?

For me it’s gotta be the Endor Speeder bike coaster a la Hagrids. That would be incredible.

MistaDee

I’m with you on a coaster not being the ideal ride system for Avatar. When it comes to Marvel as it stands Cosmic Rewind is Disneys best attempt so far but that makes sense as it was purpose built and had a very healthy budget. My take is a coaster would be more popular than whatever they are planning for the Avengers ride. Does it allow them to showcase all the characters/ locales in way a simulator would? Of course not but I have no doubt a coaster would be more popular and have the energy and thrill an Avengers ride should have. It doesn’t make sense to me to have the Star Wars and Marvel rides have more or less the same level of thrill as say MMRR. Which brings me back to my original point. If no thrill ride with Star Wars or Marvel then where in your IP library?

For me it’s gotta be the Endor Speeder bike coaster a la Hagrids. That would be incredible.

It's not a general Marvel IP though, they've specifically designed and marketed this as an Avenger's E-ticket featuring Thanos and a smorgasbord of other characters, that surely requires a screen to pull off. I'm with you that the overall IP being action-oriented and more teen/adult leaning is a natural fit for more thrilling experiences but probably not the Avenger's specifically. It's also worth considering that Avenger's Campus already has a thrill ride in Mission: Breakout.

As for Star Wars I'm personally glad they went in the trackless direction they did, far more meaningful for me to be able to immerse myself into that world than try to do another style of Space Mountain with Star Wars IP slapped on it. The drop sequence in RotR is also significantly more thrilling than anything happening in MMRR.

mickEblu

It's not a general Marvel IP though, they've specifically designed and marketed this as an Avenger's E-ticket featuring Thanos and a smorgasbord of other characters, that surely requires a screen to pull off. I'm with you that the overall IP being action-oriented and more teen/adult leaning is a natural fit for more thrilling experiences but probably not the Avenger's specifically. It's also worth considering that Avenger's Campus already has a thrill ride in Mission: Breakout.

As for Star Wars I'm personally glad they went in the trackless direction they did, far more meaningful for me to be able to immerse myself into that world than try to do another style of Space Mountain with Star Wars IP slapped on it. The drop sequence in RotR is also significantly more thrilling than anything happening in MMRR.

That’s true Mission Breakout is a thrill ride but it’s a retheme and not a coaster. One of the Marvel or Star Wars rides need some speed.

I’m good with ROTR. The second attraction should have been more thrilling. ROTR is more thrilling than MMRR but not by a whole lot. The drop is very small and the simulator portion is very short.

DLR needs another coaster before another simulator/ screen ride IMO.

mickEblu

For me it comes down to the expectations the IP sets. It’s why Webslingers is so disappointing. A boat ride sounds great for Avatar becasue for me that franchise is all about the Beauty of the locales from the film. I kind of feel like I’m missing out on something if there isn’t a little adrenaline pumping on a Marvel of Star Wars ride. Even more so if its the big E ticket centerpiece.

MistaDee

For me it comes down to the expectations the IP sets. It’s why Webslingers is so disappointing. A boat ride sounds great for Avatar becasue for me that franchise is all about the Beauty of the locales from the film. I kind of feel like I’m missing out on something if there isn’t a little adrenaline pumping on a Marvel of Star Wars ride. Even more so if its the big E ticket centerpiece.

I see where you're coming from, and generally agree with Marvel: the best aspect of that brand is the action sequences. Webslingers just sucks on multiple levels but would definitely benefit from an injection of adrenaline.

Star Wars on the other hand, for me at least, is an IP/brand that delivers a lot more than just action sequences, although it does do those well, I find the immersive settings, characters, competing factions and I guess overall world-building to all be essential aspects of what I love about it.

I wish Smuggler's Run was a bit more thrilling, or even an entirely different experience like the speeder bike coaster you've described, but I still find the land as it is to be relatively effective. With Star Tours in Tomorrowland I certainly don't feel like I leave the park feeling like I need Star Wars specific thrills, but that's clearly down to personal preference.

Professortango1

I feel like Rise captures Star Wars pretty well. The only downside for me is the lack of practical effects/Stormtroopers. Having some more physical Troopers instead of screens and some explosions and sensory elements would knock it out of the park.

WEB Slingers could have worked if it had practical elements and was themed around Guardians or a franchise that involved shooting at things more. If WEB was a Guardians attraction where we were escaping the Collector's Fortress with interactive triggered physical gags, it would work. Sure, it would be better with a motion base like Indy or Spiderman, but it would work.

The problem is we know we aren't shooting webs, We are not connecting with the screens. And there's no real threat other than cute spider robots. And our gameplay is redundant and inconsequential.

Midway Mania works because the games are all different and they aren't disguised as a mission.

Funnily enough, I think TOT could have worked as a Spider-Man attraction. Or Doctor Strange.

mickEblu

I feel like Rise captures Star Wars pretty well. The only downside for me is the lack of practical effects/Stormtroopers. Having some more physical Troopers instead of screens and some explosions and sensory elements would knock it out of the park.

WEB Slingers could have worked if it had practical elements and was themed around Guardians or a franchise that involved shooting at things more. If WEB was a Guardians attraction where we were escaping the Collector's Fortress with interactive triggered physical gags, it would work. Sure, it would be better with a motion base like Indy or Spiderman, but it would work.

The problem is we know we aren't shooting webs, We are not connecting with the screens. And there's no real threat other than cute spider robots. And our gameplay is redundant and inconsequential.

Midway Mania works because the games are all different and they aren't disguised as a mission.

Funnily enough, I think TOT could have worked as a Spider-Man attraction. Or Doctor Strange.

ROTR definitely captures the Star Wars. I’m not sure what they could have done to make it more thrilling outside of a bigger drop. That’s why I say the secondary attraction needed to be the thrill ride. Smugglers Run was supposed to make Star Tours obsolete. It didn’t do that. The second ride should have been an indoor coaster.

Professortango1

The second ride should have been an indoor coaster.
So another version of Hyperspace Mountain? I'm good.

They don't really have the space for an indoor coaster. Look how gigantic the Cosmic Rewind Building is and all for another Ghost Galaxy or tamer Rocking Rollercoaster.

A large outdoor coaster around speeder bikes would be great. But, as I said, they don't have the space to pull that off unless they were looking to get rid of the Rivers of America and TSI/Fantasmic.

mickEblu

So another version of Hyperspace Mountain? I'm good.

They don't really have the space for an indoor coaster. Look how gigantic the Cosmic Rewind Building is and all for another Ghost Galaxy or tamer Rocking Rollercoaster.

A large outdoor coaster around speeder bikes would be great. But, as I said, they don't have the space to pull that off unless they were looking to get rid of the Rivers of America and TSI/Fantasmic.

Yeah I know we’ve had this convo a few times. Yes another “Hyperspace Mountain.” Would be a million times better than Smugglers Run. But if we get a an outdoor Endor speederbike coaster on DL Forward I’ll let bygones be bygones. It’s not happening though. Sounds like that thing died when Star Wars Land didnt go in TL.

TP2000

I'd rather have ElecTRONica back. ;) I miss Flynn's arcade!

When I was packing up my old house almost two years ago, I found 4 tokens from Flynn's Arcade at DCA in a drawer. I kept them and moved them to my new house. They sit in my junk drawer in my kitchen for no good reason but that they make me smile and remind me of 1982 and a surprisingly magical time at DCA circa 2012-2015.

DCA needs a high capacity ride the whole family can go on. That's what it's lacking the most.

Disneyland has Small World, Pirates, Star Tours, the Railroad, and Haunted Mansion.

I would also add Buzz Lightyear (Omnimover) and Big Thunder (same height requirement as Star Tours, but with an extra 600+ per hour with 5 trains running) to that list. You might also be able to add Millennium Falcon: Target Run, depending on if its hourly capacity is at 1800 per hour or more. I'd bet Runaway Railway is at 1,500+ per hour too.

Lower capacity, but still doable with 1,000+ per hour and no height requirement would be Jungle Cruise, Submarines and likely Matterhorn and Space Mt. with the same 40" requirement as Star Tours, etc.

But that means your point is even more valid. DCA has a dearth of low height or no height requirement E or D Ticket rides for the whole family. Little Mermaid, Soarin', Grizzly and maybe Spiderman and Midway Mania are all I can think of. DCA needs help, and it needs it ASAP. A no height requirement but thrilling and lavish D Ticket boat ride seems long overdue for DCA.

So what about it Sidekick Tightpants and Bob Iger?!? Are you going to spend some of your dough on a ride DCA has needed for at least a decade now? And more importantly, at D23 Expo this summer will Sidekick Tightpants trend toward the new style of wider pantlegs and looser cuts?

I'll be watching for both this August; the E Ticket announcements for DCA and the cut of the trousers. 🧐

mickEblu

When I was packing up my old house almost two years ago, I found 4 tokens from Flynn's Arcade at DCA in a drawer. I kept them and moved them to my new house. They sit in my junk drawer in my kitchen for no good reason but that they make me smile and remind me of 1982 and a surprisingly magical time at DCA circa 2012-2015.

I would also add Buzz Lightyear (Omnimover) and Big Thunder (same height requirement as Star Tours, but with an extra 600+ per hour with 5 trains running) to that list. You might also be able to add Millennium Falcon: Target Run, depending on if its hourly capacity is at 1800 per hour or more. I'd bet Runaway Railway is at 1,500+ per hour too.

Lower capacity, but still doable with 1,000+ per hour and no height requirement would be Jungle Cruise, Submarines and likely Matterhorn and Space Mt. with the same 40" requirement as Star Tours, etc.

But that means your point is even more valid. DCA has a dearth of low height or no height requirement E or D Ticket rides for the whole family. Little Mermaid, Soarin', Grizzly and maybe Spiderman and Midway Mania are all I can think of. DCA needs help, and it needs it ASAP. A no height requirement but thrilling and lavish D Ticket boat ride seems long overdue for DCA.

So what about it Sidekick Tightpants and Bob Iger?!? Are you going to spend some of your dough on a ride DCA has needed for at least a decade now? And more importantly, at D23 Expo this summer will Sidekick Tightpants trend toward the new style of wider pantlegs and looser cuts?

I'll be watching for both this August; the E Ticket announcements for DCA and the cut of the trousers. 🧐

It’s worse than that. Grizzly has a 42” inch requirement. Soarin 40”. Minus some of the flat rides all you have with no height requirements at DCA is Mermaid, Spider-Man, TSMM and Monsters Inc. Of those I would only say Mermaid and Monsters is good for the whole family. Three year olds arent really good at shooter rides where you have to wear 3D glasses. If rumors are true we’re losing Monsters for Avatar so unfortunately losing one of the only family friendly attraction/ dark rides in the park albeit for a much better one.

Last edited:

TP2000

It’s worse than that. Grizzly has a 42” inch requirement. Soarin 40”. Minus some of the flat rides all you have with no height requirements at DCA is Mermaid, Spider-Man, TSMM and Monsters Inc. Of those I would only say Mermaid and Monsters is good for the whole family. Three year olds arent really good at shooter rides where you have to wear 3D glasses.

Oh, crap, you're right.

DCA needs help. Lots of it. A Marvel roller coaster with a 42 inch height requirement isn't enough. It needs a family-friendly yet thrilling and impressive E Ticket. And like many have already said here, it should be a boat ride. With a mild yet thrilling drop.

Geez, Walt and his team really did know what they were doing 55 years ago, didn't they? So what happened?!? :banghead:

mickEblu

Oh, crap, you're right.

DCA needs help. Lots of it. A Marvel roller coaster with a 42 inch height requirement isn't enough. It needs a family-friendly yet thrilling and impressive E Ticket. And like many have already said here, it should be a boat ride. With a mild yet thrilling drop.

Geez, Walt and his team really did know what they were doing 55 years ago, didn't they? So what happened?!? :banghead:

Yeah, you get a really good tan at DCA. Especially if you’re under 40 inches. Everything is outside. The Avatar boat ride would be a great start. Then I think a Coco ride would kill it at DCA. Then I’ll take the coaster.

CaptinEO

It’s worse than that. Grizzly has a 42” inch requirement. Soarin 40”. Minus some of the flat rides all you have with no height requirements at DCA is Mermaid, Spider-Man, TSMM and Monsters Inc. Of those I would only say Mermaid and Monsters is good for the whole family. Three year olds arent really good at shooter rides where you have to wear 3D glasses. If rumors are true we’re losing Monsters for Avatar so unfortunately losing one of the only family friendly attraction/ dark rides in the park albeit for a much better one.
Don't forget about classics like the Golden Zephyr, Orange Swings, and Jumping Jellywish. Walt would be proud.

CaptinEO

DCA was so nice around the 60th Anniversary. Who would ever have thought that after all the time and investment to fix the park that it would go backwards so fast.
Good point!

I'd love for a family boat ride at DCA. I'm all for it. Sad thing is they would have to make it some lame movie tie in. Avatar 2 does make sense though and I really did like that movie so I hope if it does have to be a property, it's avatar.

mickEblu

Heck maybe what DCA needs is a people mover. Long ride that is high capacity.

Star Tours has a 40” height requirement. This is my wheelhouse right now haha. Have a three year old and just went through it with an 8 year old.

celluloid

Star Tours has a 40” height requirement. This is my wheelhouse right now haha. Have a three year old and just went through it with an 8 year old.

Same here. Almost same ages as yours. Just went through it to where son is tall enough for any coaster or ride on planet.

40 inches for the little ones is a magical door, especially at Disney and Universal where the doors open up to lots of memories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom