News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

Haymarket

What's going on in this corner of DCA? Is it possible to build any attractions here?

DCA Corner.jpg

It's about 4.5 acres:

DCA wo corner.jpg

DC w corner.jpg

Last edited:

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I think the reason Iger and Disney are being coy about this Avatar land being an "experience" and not divulging any other details stems from one word: politics.

Disney is in the process of trying to get Disneyland Forward approved, and maybe they are worried that if they were to come out and say DCA was getting Pandora, It would cause Anaheim to take issue with something like the sight lines, and that could derail all of DL Forward. Get DL Forward approved first, then announce Avatar at D23 2024.
You are correct. That is where the Avengers E-ticket ride goes.
If Disney is indeed committing to building Avatar at DCA, then there is a good chance that unless the decide to do a one two punch and open the Avengers E ticket in 2027 and Avatar in 2028 for LA2028, the Avenger E ticket is being put on the back burner. The fact they are hyping up this Avatar experience at earning calls and IAAPA, and not mentioning the Avengers E ticket and the fact construction has not even been started on it, is further evidence they are putting a priority on Avatar to strike while the iron is hot. it wouldn't shock me if there still might not be a solid direction for an Avengers E ticket.

Someone over on the Inside Universal forums seems to even think that truth be told, Disney missed their window for a proper genre defining Avengers E ticket.

Kamikaze

I think the reason Iger and Disney are being coy about this Avatar land being an "experience" and not divulging any other details stems from one word: politics.

Disney is in the process of trying to get Disneyland Forward approved, and maybe they are worried that if they were to come out and say DCA was getting Pandora, It would cause Anaheim to take issue with something like the sight lines, and that could derail all of DL Forward. Get DL Forward approved first, then announce Avatar at D23 2024.
Or the more likely reason: Because its something thats already called 'The Avatar Experience'

If Disney is indeed committing to building Avatar at DCA, then there is a good chance that unless the decide to do a one two punch and open the Avengers E ticket in 2027 and Avatar in 2028 for LA2028, the Avenger E ticket is being put on the back burner. The fact they are hyping up this Avatar experience at earning calls and IAAPA, and not mentioning the Avengers E ticket and the fact construction has not even been started on it, is further evidence they are putting a priority on Avatar to strike while the iron is hot. it wouldn't shock me if there still might not be a solid direction for an Avengers E ticket.

Something being 'hot' or not never really stopped them before. Is Tiana a hot property? The answer is no.

I agree with them needing to do more for the Olympics, though. After Tiana's and whatever this Avatar thing turns out to be, you've got the Avengers ride and nothing else official, in terms of new attractions.

Someone over on the Inside Universal forums seems to even think that truth be told, Disney missed their window for a proper genre defining Avengers E ticket.
Supposedly construction will begin after the 1st of the year. Its such a weird setup, especially with the gift shop already existing and it being so very small.

Last edited:

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Or the more likely reason: Because its something thats already called The Avatar Experience'

Something being 'hot' or not never really stopped them before. Is Tiana a hot property? The answer is no.

I agree with them needing to do more for the Olympics, though. After Tiana's and whatever this Avatar thing turns out to be, you've got the Avengers ride and nothing else official, in terms of new attractions.

Supposedly construction will begin after the 1st of the year. Its such a weird setup, especially with the gift shop already existing and it being so very small.
What source is claiming that the Avengers E ticket will break ground in early 2024?

Stevek

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that’s earmarked for the Avengers E-ticket.
I don't think it would take up the entire lot but probably enough where it would be problematic to fit anything else there. Quite honestly, if they want to do something right for Avatar, I'd wait until the Disneyland forward project happens. Perhaps the walkthrough from Shanghai could be a placeholder until a more significant area is built?

denyuntilcaught

This announcement is definitely the Singapore thing.

If they build something later for Disneyland Forward? Sure. But this isn't that.
What exactly are we referring to? The link? Yes, then we're in agreement. lol. When you were saying "It's this" I thought that was in response to the larger effort being seeded by Iger.

Haymarket

Okay, but its a satellite image, not a stylized map.
I knew someone would say this. Blah.

Again, I'm sorry if it's triggering/annoying/problematic to you, but that's what I went with, believing it would be easier for most of us to understand where everything is in relation to the corner lot.

Maybe you could make your own image and post it.

DCA_01082018_reduced-pdf.jpg
angled 2.jpg

Last edited:

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Did I claim any 'source' said that?
Considering Disney's track record with phase 2's of land expansions in that most end up get cancelled, we shall see if construction actually does commence in 2024 on the Avengers E ticket. If it doesn't and the ride is not brought up at D23 2024, then that is a good sign the Avengers E ticket has gone back to the drawing board and the attention will be put elsewhere for LA2028 presumably Avatar or some other Hollywoodland replacement.

Kamikaze

I knew someone would say this. Blah.

Again, I'm sorry if it's triggering/annoying/problematic to you, but that's what I went with, believing it would be easier for most of us to understand where everything is in relation to the corner lot.

Maybe you could make your own image and post it.

View attachment 754115View attachment 754117
It wasn't any of those things. It was dumb, because when you look at a satellite image, north is always up. When you used to have to travel by map, they never aligned north to anything but up. People that are used to seeing satellite images of DLR are used to seeing the DCA gate at the north of the park. Changing it is just confusing for no reason. And those that aren't used to seeing those images don't much care, so you might as well leave it the same way.

Kamikaze

Considering Disney's track record with phase 2's of land expansions in that most end up get cancelled, we shall see if construction actually does commence in 2024 on the Avengers E ticket. If it doesn't and the ride is not brought up at D23 2024, then that is a good sign the Avengers E ticket has gone back to the drawing board and the attention will be put elsewhere for LA2028 presumably Avatar or some other Hollywoodland replacement.
It already went back to the board and started over once. Not going to happen again. They're just waiting to stick the budget into future quarters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom