News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

BrianLo

What if they use the DisneylandForward plot?

I don't think anything is 100% firm and sites are still up for debate internally (much as Galaxy's Edge bounced around a while between various locations). But this is an Iger mandated project and I do actually think a boundary expansion is at play at it was for galaxy's edge.

I hope and think this is actually the most logical place for it. Despite Disneyland not really being as desperate for something more, there's a good amount of space for half of the expansion plot to be at play (green) and the alternative entrance to be built (Yellow for ticketing, red for an more generalized entrance place) that would meaningfully improve Disneyland Resort guest flow. You can leave the entire Western flank of the plot empty for a theoretically distant future land/attractions. The green area is about the right acreage to match DAK's Pandora.

A lot can still be done within the current boundaries of DCA on the other hand and the Southern redevelopment of Downtown Disneyland on the 'Forward' plot seems to speak a non-existent desire for that to occur. I just can't make sense of Pandora being added onto DCA from a thematic perspective. It does not bother me being lumped onto Disneyland, personally.

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 10.00.25 AM.png

SplashJacket

It’s still gonna be more of an "experience". Most likely will use the Launch Bay building.

I feel they’re hyping this up far too much for a project that would open 4? years from now if it’s an actual land.

But I also feel they’re hyping this up far too much if it’s a launch-bay style addition.

That said, they could do both. Create a launch bay exhibit with a banshee animatronic and showcase the plans of a future land. That could work

Consumer

I don't think anything is 100% firm and sites are still up for debate internally (much as Galaxy's Edge bounced around a while between various locations). But this is an Iger mandated project and I do actually think a boundary expansion is at play at it was for galaxy's edge.

I hope and think this is actually the most logical place for it. Despite Disneyland not really being as desperate for something more, there's a good amount of space for half of the expansion plot to be at play (green) and the alternative entrance to be built (Yellow for ticketing, red for an more generalized entrance place) that would meaningfully improve Disneyland Resort guest flow. You can leave the entire Western flank of the plot empty for a theoretically distant future land/attractions. The green area is about the right acreage to match DAK's Pandora.

A lot can still be done within the current boundaries of DCA on the other hand and the Southern redevelopment of Downtown Disneyland on the 'Forward' plot seems to speak a non-existent desire for that to occur. I just can't make sense of Pandora being added onto DCA from a thematic perspective. It does not bother me being lumped onto Disneyland, personally.

View attachment 702727
If an Avatar land was placed in the green space, that would certainly be the least egregious addition as it can easily be ignored.

I still hold the best option for an Avatar addition to Disneyland is a single attraction in Tomorrowland.

mickEblu

View attachment 702727

I agree mostly. Pandora wouldn’t bother me outside the berm as for all intents and purposes that isn’t Disneyland/ Disneyland proper. It would be harder to see than Galaxies Edge. Although I think Pandora makes more sense thematically in Disneyland I think DCA is the park that should be getting an expansion of this caliber. Assuming this is a land/ride and not some exhibit in Launch Bay.

mickEblu

It’s still gonna be more of an "experience". Most likely will use the Launch Bay building.

If they’re trying to temper expectations now it’s too late. When Iger says a “version of” Avatar is coming and they include quotes in D23 magazine of people saying “now I get to experience the world of Avatar at Disneyland, wooo hooo” that sounds like more than an exhibit in Launch Bay. Then again, do they care if they’re only disappointing their Super fans who are going to the parks anyway? Not sure the public has really been following this story.

drizgirl

This speaks largely of Disney's communication problems to not only their investors but their customers. They talk about an "experience" coming before they are ready to say what it actually is and it just creates speculation and confusion with no actual meat.
Mostly it speaks to Disney's desire to create some excitement and buzz without committing to anything specific.

BrianLo

I agree mostly. Pandora wouldn’t bother me outside the berm as for all intents and purposes that isn’t Disneyland/ Disneyland proper. It would be harder to see than Galaxies Edge. Although I think Pandora makes more sense thematically in Disneyland I think DCA is the park that should be getting an expansion of this caliber. Assuming this is a land/ride and not some exhibit in Launch Bay.

I’m just not sure where it goes in DCA is my problem. The stupid Pixar pier and hotel are problematic.

I also do wonder if internally the thought process is Disneyland got SW:GE, DCA got Avengers campus. Disneyland got MMRR, DCA is getting the thanos ride. I do acknowledge the difference in quality.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
If they’re trying to temper expectations now it’s too late. When Iger says a “version of” Avatar is coming and they include quotes in D23 magazine of people saying “now I get to experience the world of Avatar at Disneyland, wooo hooo” that sounds like more than an exhibit in Launch Bay. Then again, do they care if they’re only disappointing their Super fans who are going to the parks anyway? Not sure the public has really been following this story.
"Version of Avatar" to me is far different than "Version of Pandora: World of Avatar" which he seemed careful not to say.

The former tells me it is something related to the movies, but the later tells me it is a version of the land in DAK.

SplashJacket

Putting an exact Pandora clone in DCA would be an interesting design choice, given Soarin, Avengers E, and FoP all in the same park using very similar ride systems.

Personally, if I had to dream, I would love a souped-up Navi river journey with Banshee animatronics, drops, etc. (3 times the length, higher capacity, 4 times the action). I don’t think people would care if there was only one attraction instead of two.

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

This speaks largely of Disney's communication problems to not only their investors but their customers. They talk about an "experience" coming before they are ready to say what it actually is and it just creates speculation and confusion with no actual meat.
I think this was purely a Bob problem. He impulsively spilled something too early cause it was on his mind and so PR had to rush to play catch up on something that wasn’t ready. Stuff like this happens pretty often in corporate comms.

mickEblu

I’m just not sure where it goes in DCA is my problem. The stupid Pixar pier and hotel are problematic.

I also do wonder if internally the thought process is Disneyland got SW:GE, DCA got Avengers campus. Disneyland got MMRR, DCA is getting the thanos ride. I do acknowledge the difference in quality.

It could go in the Hollywood Backlot/ Eastern Gateway expansion or DCA Forward. I don’t see anywhere in DCA proper it could go. And that Grizzly Peak retheme I’ve seen going around is a non starter.

TP2000

I think this was purely a Bob problem. He impulsively spilled something too early cause it was on his mind and so PR had to rush to play catch up on something that wasn’t ready. Stuff like this happens pretty often in corporate comms.

Agreed. This is the same guy who went on record saying they had plans to retheme Splash Mountain to Tiana when there weren't really any plans. And it's taking them a full four years to retheme and redecorate the existing log ride because there weren't actually plans.

The messiness from their own Communications teams on calling this "Pandora" at first but then changing it to "Avatar experience" is also a factor.

If it's repurposing one of the existing empty attractions like Launch Bay or Tomorrowland 3-D Theater, then it's obviously not opening until 2024 because they haven't even started on it yet.

But if it's something bigger, like replacing Autopia and/or Motorboat Cruise with Flight of Passage, then that's not opening until at least 2027 at this point. It's already March, 2023, and it will take them at least 3 and a half to 4 years from now to get it open if they start immediately.

I'm calling the timeline like this, based on their recent work and their recent messy communications on the concept:

2024 = Launch Bay and/or Tomorrowland Theater rethemed into Avatar meet n' greet n' Clip Show.
2027 = Submarine Voyage rethemed to Avatar blue alien synchronized swimming ride.
2028+ = Flight of Passage clone built on Autopia or other Park expansion plot adjacent to Fantasyland/Toontown

But that assumes work begins on whatever it is within 90 days. If we get through this summer and there's still nothing happening, add a year to the above timelines.

Last edited:

mickEblu

"Version of Avatar" to me is far different than "Version of Pandora: World of Avatar" which he seemed careful not to say.

The former tells me it is something related to the movies, but the later tells me it is a version of the land in DAK.

Sure but I think “version” is the key word. An exhibit in Launch Bay or a meet n greet isn’t a version of anything at WDW. Those would be completely different experiences in scope/ scale. Truth is we re all guessing based on just a few words. They may very well not know what they re doing yet or someone else mentioned we could be getting something small for now with a land coming later.

TP2000

If an Avatar land was placed in the green space, that would certainly be the least egregious addition as it can easily be ignored.

I still hold the best option for an Avatar addition to Disneyland is a single attraction in Tomorrowland.

Agreed.

I also think an Avatar attraction would fit better in Disneyland than it does in Animal Kingdom, or than it would in DCA. Putting anything Avatar in DCA is about the worst option, even worse than putting this fictional alien world in Animal Kingdom.

TP2000

They may very well not know what they re doing yet or someone else mentioned we could be getting something small for now with a land coming later.

I think that's it exactly. Bob Iger returned to the job just a few months ago. He spoke clumsily about a concept in its infancy, and now they have to go with it like it was a real thing. This is just like what he did with Splash Mountain in 2020.

Either way, it's a small meet n' greet thing that would open in 2024, or it's a bigger land/ride that won't open until 2027 or '28.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Sure but I think “version” is the key word. An exhibit in Launch Bay or a meet n greet isn’t a version of anything at WDW.
But that's what I'm trying to say. Everyone is assuming this is a "version" of what is in WDW, but a "version of Avatar" just means a version of something from the movie franchise, not necessarily something from WDW.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was PR/Media that used the word Pandora....never Bob.

mickEblu

But that's what I'm trying to say. Everyone is assuming this is a "version" of what is in WDW, but a "version of Avatar" just means a version of something from the movie franchise, not necessarily something from WDW.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was PR/Media that used the word Pandora....never Bob.

I’m honestly not sure at this point. Let’s just go with “version of Avatar.” To me the word “version” in the context it was taken from implies “version of Avatars theme park representation at WDW.” The end of that sentence is “coming to Disneyland.” Version of Avatar in regards to cinema would make less sense. But it could mean something themed to Way of Water of i guess.

BrianLo

I think it all comes back to the details are not set, nor is it a planned clone or variation of what AK has. Nor is the site even selected. Which does not mean it won't happen. Iger legacy projects do have a history of coming to fruition when he announces them, often before WDI has really created anything (Avatar in AK and Galaxy's Edge). I suspect Bruce Vaughn was in part out of a desire to have someone from that project era back to work with John Landau.

The name experience implies Launch bay. All the commentary and narrative out of Disney implies at least a major attraction or a miniland - scaling up to as big as what AK has but a different film location.

Our speculation is totally valid but I doubt anything will actually be a legitimately solid plan internally for another 18 months.

Finally to add that sharing the news with shareholders, from Iger's mouth, probably holds more weight than a D23 announcement. It's well known Pandora was a financial boon for Animal Kingdom and the financial expectation for this project is implied.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom