News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

TP2000

The fixation on how much merchandise this franchise does or does not sell remains baffling to me. I ask again: do you really want a future in which the sole barometer of what gets built is how much merchandise is sold? Is that good for the parks or most people's enjoyment of the parks? No? Then stop asking this question.

In a perfect world, merchandise sales have no bearing on the fabulous one-off attractions that get built in Disney theme parks. In that perfect world, WDW would have Western River Expedition instead of Tiana Mountain and Disneyland would have Discovery Bay instead of Star Wars Land.

But that perfect world doesn't exist. Merchandise sales are key drivers of theme park investment now, thus you've got Princess Pavilions and Star Wars mega-lands, and even a hipster Marvel roller coaster in Epcot.

But even though we live in an imperfect world, merchandise sales can lead to great theme park investments. If it wasn't for merchandise sales (Over $10 Billion of it for this franchise alone) they never would have built this at DCA...

ThemePark_disneyresort_carsland_portada.jpg

RobWDW1971

In a perfect world, merchandise sales have no bearing on the fabulous one-off attractions that get built in Disney theme parks. In that perfect world, WDW would have Western River Expedition instead of Tiana Mountain and Disneyland would have Discovery Bay instead of Star Wars Land.

But that perfect world doesn't exist. Merchandise sales are key drivers of theme park investment now, thus you've got Princess Pavilions and Star Wars mega-lands, and even a hipster Marvel roller coaster in Epcot.

But even though we live in an imperfect world, merchandise sales can lead to great theme park investments. If it wasn't for merchandise sales (Over $10 Billion of it for this franchise alone) they never would have built this at DCA...

ThemePark_disneyresort_carsland_portada.jpg

Don't worry, this is where somebody will try to sell you that "Princess and the Frog" is a HUGE merchandise driver! Sure, it did less than Bolt at the box office that year, but NOW it is HUGE and entire aisles at Wal*Mart and Target overflow with the film's merchandise! Imagination is fun!

Ghost93

Don't worry, this is where somebody will try to sell you that "Princess and the Frog" is a HUGE merchandise driver! Sure, it did less than Bolt at the box office that year, but NOW it is HUGE and entire aisles at Wal*Mart and Target overflow with the film's merchandise! Imagination is fun!
That's a true statement, however. I have seen many girls with Tiana dolls at stores in the past few years. I have never seen anyone with Bolt merchandise in the past decade.

Professortango1

So to equally meet your criteria, DCA should have mega-mansions and redwoods interspersed with homeless camps and wildfires.
I didn't say all theme parks should be hyper-realistic. I just stated that the land of Harambe IS and everything within it IS except FOTLK. That show stands out in a bad way because it doesn't fit the land it is located in at all. Its like the Flying Carpet spinner. I don't mind Dumbo or Astro Orbiter, but a cartoony spinner in the more grounded Adventureland looks weird.

Disney's dedication to theme and storytelling in its parks is what helped set them apart previously. Previously, major competitors stuck shows and attractions where they physically made sense rather than thematically. Now, competitor parks are mimicking Disney's model while Disney begins to lose sight and shove things in regardless of thematic coherence.

BrianLo

I find this a bit relevant to the conversation around Avatar and also came out before the movie release.

The relevancy here is that Pandora appeals to a demographic maybe not as commonly represented by the 'chatter' here. So its use in the parks is surprisingly additive (as was demonstrated in DAK) rather than simply more for the same demo Disney Parks already appeal to (Renaissance and Comic loving millennials).

BrianLo

So if some parents here can tell us that Avatar 2 is all the rage with the kids or even teens, I'm happy to hear it.

No one is claiming Avatar is a children's franchise? You seem to be the only one who is (by implying it's not popular with the kids as its only barometer).

We know it's not really a kid franchise. It's more of a middle America boomer or International appealing franchise.

Versus say Marvel/Star Wars that were strongly marketed to 8yo's and the Princesses that are pushed on a younger crowd.

Consumer

I find this a bit relevant to the conversation around Avatar and also came out before the movie release.

The relevancy here is that Pandora appeals to a demographic maybe not as commonly represented by the 'chatter' here. So its use in the parks is surprisingly additive (as was demonstrated in DAK) rather than simply more for the same demo Disney Parks already appeal to (Renaissance and Comic loving millennials).

Great video. It's good to remember that social media is all fake.

TP2000

The expansion pad behind the Avengers facade only has room for one ride right?

It depends on how big you want to go with "one ride". It's quite a large chunk of land, about 6 acres. Look at the Radiator Racers warehouse building in the lower left corner as a point of reference.

And then there's the Candy Cane Inn, just sitting there, waiting to unlock a much bigger area by removing the old Lion King Tram Route along with it. 🤔

ExpansionPlot.jpg

Consumer

It depends on how big you want to go with "one ride". It's quite a large chunk of land, about 6 acres. Look at the Radiator Racers warehouse building in the lower left corner as a point of reference.

And then there's the Candy Cane Inn, just sitting there, waiting to unlock a much bigger area by removing the old Lion King Tram Route along with it. 🤔

View attachment 698933
I vividly remember my family parking in the Timon Parking Lot when I was a child and looking up and seeing the MaliBOOMer, the Sun Wheel, and California Screamin' with the Mickey face on it. Demolishing the tram route, the only remnant of that parking lot, would literally be destroying my childhood.

mickEblu

View attachment 698933

Oh wow that is a decent plot of land assuming they can use all of it. Not sure it’s enough for an Avengers E ticket AND a mini Pandora + ride though.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I vividly remember my family parking in the Timon Parking Lot when I was a child and looking up and seeing the MaliBOOMer, the Sun Wheel, and California Screamin' with the Mickey face on it. Demolishing the tram route, the only remnant of that parking lot, would literally be destroying my childhood.

We still have the Simba lot and those flat lots next to the DL hotel. Lilo n Stitch I believe.

AJFireman

D23 website posted this article today. Some excerpts that stand out as being more then just a meet and greet or could just be Disney PR wordplay.

Similarly excited was Trinity Jo-Li Bliss, who plays Jake and Neytiri’s youngest child, Tuk: “Oh my gosh! Avatar is coming to Disneyland [Resort]!” she told D23. “The ‘Valley of Moara’ is my favorite place to visit whenever I have the chance to go to [Walt] Disney World. I’ve always told my friends how amazing it is to be there and how one day they have to experience it themselves! Now with Avatar coming to Disneyland, I can take all my friends and we can experience the world of Avatar together! Woohooo!”

Bailey Bass, who plays Metkayina clan member Tsireya in the film, told D23: “I am over the moon about the Avatar expansion to Disneyland [Resort]! As a huge Disney fan and fan of the Avatar rides in [Walt] Disney World, I am so excited for Avatar fans to be able to experience the world of Pandora at Disneyland. I cannot wait to see what the Avatar and Disney team creates. I already know it’s gonna be awe-inspiring, jaw dropping, and magical.”

While details on the coming Avatar experience remain under wraps, it promises to be as amazing as those found at Walt Disney World Resort. “If you’ve had a chance to experience Pandora – The World of Avatar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park, you have a pretty good idea of what Imagineers are capable of,” said Disney CEO Robert A. Iger when he announced the plans on February 8.

mickEblu

D23 website posted this article today. Some excerpts that stand out as being more then just a meet and greet or could just be Disney PR wordplay.

Similarly excited was Trinity Jo-Li Bliss, who plays Jake and Neytiri’s youngest child, Tuk: “Oh my gosh! Avatar is coming to Disneyland [Resort]!” she told D23. “The ‘Valley of Moara’ is my favorite place to visit whenever I have the chance to go to [Walt] Disney World. I’ve always told my friends how amazing it is to be there and how one day they have to experience it themselves! Now with Avatar coming to Disneyland, I can take all my friends and we can experience the world of Avatar together! Woohooo!”

Bailey Bass, who plays Metkayina clan member Tsireya in the film, told D23: “I am over the moon about the Avatar expansion to Disneyland [Resort]! As a huge Disney fan and fan of the Avatar rides in [Walt] Disney World, I am so excited for Avatar fans to be able to experience the world of Pandora at Disneyland. I cannot wait to see what the Avatar and Disney team creates. I already know it’s gonna be awe-inspiring, jaw dropping, and magical.”

While details on the coming Avatar experience remain under wraps, it promises to be as amazing as those found at Walt Disney World Resort. “If you’ve had a chance to experience Pandora – The World of Avatar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park, you have a pretty good idea of what Imagineers are capable of,” said Disney CEO Robert A. Iger when he announced the plans on February 8.

I can’t imagine they would include these quotes in the article if it wasn’t going to be a substantial addition to the parks. Of course it’s still possible it’s something small but it’s sounding more like a land or ride and less like a meet n greet or walk thru.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom