News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

Vegas Disney Fan

They can always take the full scale model of Pandora that they had at D23 Expo almost a decade ago out of storage, stick it under a spotlight at Launch Bay and call it "Experience Pandora: World of Avatar (now at Walt Disney World)".

Avatar experience of Pandora at Disneyland DONE.

:D

This isn’t that far off what I’m expecting, I still think it’ll be something in the Launch Bay similar to what Star Wars had, some displays, a store, and maybe some meet and greets.

I’ll be happy if we end up getting what they have in Singapore.

J4546

honestly a walkthrough experience in a completely gutted and redone star tours building (which is massive and unused) that could really be a massive a Pandora exhibit.

MarvelCharacterNerd

This isn’t that far off what I’m expecting, I still think it’ll be something in the Launch Bay similar to what Star Wars had, some displays, a store, and maybe some meet and greets.

I’ll be happy if we end up getting what they have in Singapore.
That would actually be a really good use of Launch Bay.

mickEblu

“ Promises to be as amazing as those (experiences) found at WDW.” Notice also it says Disneyland resort. Not Disneyland.

106814DF-6899-44D7-9E80-847B7F66D043.jpeg

Maybe they weren’t trying to temper expectations. Maybe they didn’t want the oomph taken out of the eventual announcement.

SplashJacket

“ Promises to be as amazing as those (experiences) found at WDW.” Notice also it says Disneyland resort. Not Disneyland.

View attachment 702808

Maybe they weren’t trying to temper expectations. Maybe they didn’t want the oomph taken out of the eventual announcement.
I really don’t understand what they’re doing.

A ground-up ride construction wouldn’t be soon.

Building these levels of hype for an attraction that opens in say 3 years, doesn’t make sense.

Drawing comparisons between a small exhibit and a land nearing a billion dollar price tag, also doesn’t make sense.

I REALLY hope that this is an extremely high quality exhibit with animatronics advertising a full-scale attraction coming in the future. If it’s not, the whole PR spin is highly puzzling

mickEblu

I really don’t understand what they’re doing.

A ground-up ride construction wouldn’t be soon.

Building these levels of hype for an attraction that opens in say 3 years, doesn’t make sense.

Drawing comparisons between a small exhibit and a land nearing a billion dollar price tag, also doesn’t make sense.

I REALLY hope that this is an extremely high quality exhibit with animatronics advertising a full-scale attraction coming in the future. If it’s not, the whole PR spin is highly puzzling

The PR is puzzling sometimes with Disney these days and I think t has to do with them not knowing what they want to do half the time. Why change the word in the article earlier only to come out with this Instagram post later?

I’m ok without the exhibit. I doubt it’s something I would do more than once.

Assuming they announce the land/ ride soon, what’s the difference between this or them announcing attractions at D23 four years in advance?

TP2000

They could certainly redo Star Tours to Avatar, although the comparison to the much snazzier Flight of Passage simulator won't be flattering for Anaheim. And that would still leave Star Tours in DHS, because they already have Pandora Land in DAK. I could see them redoing Star Tours to Avatar also in Tokyo and Paris for the same thematic reasons it would be done in Anaheim. Star Tours just seems so dumb in Disneyland now with Star Wars Land.

What they absolutely can't do is take away the Submarines (900 riders per hour) and Autopia (2100 riders per hour) with a combined 3,000 riders per hour and replace it with Flight of Passage that only gets 1,500 riders per hour. You'd be slashing your ride capacity by half if you do that, when they need to be adding ride capacity to their over-crowded and under-capacity flagship park.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I'm cool with them adding a new Avatar land at the Disneyland Resort under certain conditions:

1. If at Disneyland Park, I'd prefer it be outside the berm (like Galaxy's Edge where acquired IP's should be).

2. I don't want the subs and autopia removed for it. They are quintessential classic Disneyland to me. If those attractions had to be replaced, I'd prefer it be for an updated Tomorrowland or amazing FL expansion, not Avatar.

3. It's not a direct replica of WDW. I don't want a clone, I want something unique. Perhaps something leaning toward The Way of Water, but NOT in the sub lagoon. DCA can use a cool underwater attraction.

mickEblu

I'm cool with them adding a new Avatar land at the Disneyland Resort under certain conditions:

1. If at Disneyland Park, I'd prefer it be outside the berm (like Galaxy's Edge where acquired IP's should be).

2. I don't want the subs and autopia removed for it. They are quintessential classic Disneyland to me. If those attractions had to be replaced, I'd prefer it be for an updated Tomorrowland or amazing FL expansion, not Avatar.

3. It's not a direct replica of WDW. I don't want a clone, I want something unique. Perhaps something leaning toward The Way of Water, but NOT in the sub lagoon. DCA can use a cool underwater attraction.

Agree with your first two points. # 3 is not a deal breaker for me.

My # 3 would be: if Navi River Journey is brought it over it needs to be plussed.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
IIRC, all of the backstage area north of GE and TT were part of the Disneyland Forward proposal, right?

Does that area need to be rezoned like west of Disneyland Drive, or is it fair game for Avatar?

BrianLo

I'm aggressively paraphrasing, but at the Morgan Stanley interview today Iger mentioned how there is more room to expand in Disneyland Resort than people think.

However, on that note, I don't understand why we have radio silence AGAIN on the Marvel attraction. This seems to tick all of Bob's boxes.

BrianLo

IIRC, all of the backstage area north of GE and TT were part of the Disneyland Forward proposal, right?

Does that area need to be rezoned like west of Disneyland Drive, or is it fair game for Avatar?

Not the backstage area to the North, no. Those are already zones for the theme parks, but there is a finite amount of backstage facilities they can shed, although we've been surprised many times before.

Disneyland Forward is about rezoning everything to the West. All of it South of Pixar Pals Garage, essentially everything on those two city blocks, albeit the hotels wouldn't go anywhere.

mickEblu

I'm aggressively paraphrasing, but at the Morgan Stanley interview today Iger mentioned how there is more room to expand in Disneyland Resort than people think.

However, on that note, I don't understand why we have radio silence AGAIN on the Marvel attraction. This seems to tick all of Bob's boxes.

At this point I’d be shocked if it isn’t a land. We may as well start guessing when and where they plan on making the announcement.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Not the backstage area to the North, no. Those are already zones for the theme parks, but there is a finite amount of backstage facilities they can shed, although we've been surprised many times before.

Disneyland Forward is about rezoning everything to the West. All of it South of Pixar Pals Garage, essentially everything on those two city blocks, albeit the hotels wouldn't go anywhere.
True, but what's really interesting is that the map on the Disneyland Forward website shows half of that backstage area as "existing" Disneyland.

1678397283952.png

So either they mean that this current area is designated for Disneyland-related functionality, or that they are willing to continue expanding Disneyland into that area sometime in the future.

mickEblu

True, but what's really interesting is that the map on the Disneyland Forward website shows half of that backstage area as "existing" Disneyland.

View attachment 702925

So either they mean that this current area is designated for Disneyland-related functionality, or that they are willing to continue expanding Disneyland into that area sometime in the future.

I’m really interested in seeing what they cook up to hide the fact that we’ll be on a bridge over Disneyland drive to whatever lands they add. They did a good job with the DTD bridge. I imagine the bridge from Critter Country to the new land(s) will be executed much better. Basically I’m interested in seeing how they create a berm on a bridge.

Andrew25

I’m really interested in seeing what they cook up to hide the fact that we’ll be on a bridge over Disneyland drive to whatever lands they add. They did a good job with the DTD bridge. I imagine the bridge from Critter Country to the new land(s) will be executed much better. Basically I’m interested in seeing how they create a berm on a bridge.

Universal Orlando did one a few years back to connect the resorts and it does a pretty good job at using landscaping to hide the road below.

It's not that hard, Disney could probably theme it to a rock tunnel as a transition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom