News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

TomboyJanet

I feel like it's probably going to be Flight of Passage, not sure if it will be in the footprint of the carousel theater, that would look odd considering how inorganic Tomorrowland is, unless they blend it in with the submarine lagoon. That thing looks kinda like something on Pandora. The thing is it wont be the same without the gravitas of the floating mountains or the many little creatures and waterfalls around the Pandora section. The rides work because the whole area is immersive like Galaxy's edge, but out of context they may feel kinda meh. Like how the entrance to It's Tough to be a Bug looked awesome in DAK but looked really dumb in DCA.

Phroobar

I feel like it's probably going to be Flight of Passage, not sure if it will be in the footprint of the carousel theater, that would look odd considering how inorganic Tomorrowland is, unless they blend it in with the submarine lagoon. That thing looks kinda like something on Pandora. The thing is it wont be the same without the gravitas of the floating mountains or the many little creatures and waterfalls around the Pandora section. The rides work because the whole area is immersive like Galaxy's edge, but out of context they may feel kinda meh. Like how the entrance to It's Tough to be a Bug looked awesome in DAK but looked really dumb in DCA.
The best would be to flush Nemo and overlay Avatar for the Submarine Voyage. It would be pretty amazing to have glowing plants in the lagoon and see the Na'vi from the sub.

Californian Elitist

they would have to get rid of subs for this to be worth doing imo. Subs are such a terrible ride vehicle, cramped, tiny porthole windows, tiny staircase to get in and out of sub....all of that needs to be changed for anything other than a reskin and retheme imo.
And what exactly are they doing for this to be worth it? What are the exact plans for Avatar here in California?

Disney Analyst

This specific quote, which seemingly is from the D23 writer them self, confirms to me that they are likely planning an actual expansion in one of the parks, similar to Pandora at AK.

"While details on the coming Avatar experience remain under wraps, it promises to be as amazing as those found at Walt Disney World Resort."

mickEblu

What if they use the DisneylandForward plot?

If it it goes in Disneyland the only place I would be good with would be as part of DL Forward in the current DTD lot. A winding path from Critter Country to Pandora would work. But Avatar needs to go in DCA. It’s hard to believe that DL would get another significant audition before DCA. The Avengers E ticket won’t cut it either. That concept art they showed at D23 was lackluster to say the least. Whatever vague screen ride they were trying to show. They probably didn’t even know.

SplashJacket

Not saying anything, but just informing people who think it wouldn't fit. Avatarland at AK with all ride buildings, restaurant, and walkways/slopes to be considered 'in the land' comes to ~8.4 acres.

The footprint of autopia, subs, and the old motorboat cruise, comes to.... ~8.4 acres.
Bits and pieces of Hollywood land are also about that size.

Consumer

Not saying anything, but just informing people who think it wouldn't fit. Avatarland at AK with all ride buildings, restaurant, and walkways/slopes to be considered 'in the land' comes to ~8.4 acres.

The footprint of autopia, subs, and the old motorboat cruise, comes to.... ~8.4 acres.
Does Disneyland really need two IP specific lands dedicated to an alien planet? Avatar as an attraction in Tomorrowland is fine, but an entire lane in Disneyland is excessive and a waste.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
There is no way they would get rid of two "Walt era" attractions like Autopia and (Finding Nemo) Submarine Voyage just to put in an Avatar land. (I don't agree with you, @J4546.) I think it’s best for said land to be part of the DisneylandForward plan. (I think it should be on the Disneyland Park side.)

Californian Elitist

There is no way they would get rid of two "Walt era" attractions like Autopia and (Finding Nemo) Submarine Voyage just to put in an Avatar land. (I don't agree with you, @J4546.) I think it’s best for said land to be part of the DisneylandForward plan. (I think it should be on the Disneyland Park side.)
Submarine Voyage has been gone for 20+ years. Nemo doesn’t count as a Walt attraction.

Disney will do as they please; if that means getting rid of Autopia and Nemo for Avatar, they will do it. No one knows how exactly Disney plans to incorporate Avatar here. We can speculate, but the conclusions people are coming up with, as if any concrete and substantial details have been announced and confirmed, when they haven’t, are silly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom