News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

TheDisneyParksfanC8

San Fransokyo, Avengers Campus and Buena Vista Street all represent various aspects of a major metropolis. I don't see how Monstropolis would add anything new to the old "California" theme.

I also don't think it would be the best use of the space under the new, more abstract "Disney Adventures" in California. Cloning the entire Monstropolis area they're putting into DHS would be a disappointment in my book: an underwhelming themed environment and a duplicate experience you can find in Florida.
It seems that Disney is moving away from cloned lands at their parks in favor of unique experiences for each resort.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I’m guessing the same way they do it now. Rock, Paper, Scissors.
Part of me thinks it will also be catered to the demographics of each resort. Take DLR for example. It has a lot of repeat APs who frequent the parks a lot so perhaps it will get more catch all type lands that can be easily updated with the latest thing like Avengers Campus.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It seems that Disney is moving away from cloned lands at their parks in favor of unique experiences for each resort.
If Avatar in DCA is any indication I think straight cloning might end for awhile, but not cloned ideas, those will continue in my opinion. We’ll get similar lands/attractions but just different enough to seem like unique experiences.

mickEblu

Part of me thinks it will also be catered to the demographics of each resort. Take DLR for example. It has a lot of repeat APs who frequent the parks a lot so perhaps it will get more catch all type lands that can be easily updated with the latest thing like Avengers Campus.

I think after DCA catches up a little with the Avengers E, Coco and Avatar the attention will turn back to DL. Frozen at DL seems inevitable whether it’s in Fantasyland or part of DL Forward. Then it sounds like there might be some GE plans on the horizon and then maybe even a TL redo one day while most of us are still alive. As far as broader themed lands, I hope that Tropical Americas is the beginning of a shift but it feels more like an anomaly to me. I think for every three Zootopia or Frozen Lands you might get one Tropical Americas or Fantasy Springs. With that Fantasy Springs feels more like a collection of single IP mini lands then it does like a broader themed land like Adventureland for example.

mickEblu

You know, it would be really nice if Imagineering / Disney at least gave me a shoutout. ;) I'll even take an internship.

From Jan 2022:

News, rumors and any sort of interesting discussion has been rather light so let’s talk about one of our favorite subjects… fixing DCA. I’m not sure the main issue of the park just feeling like a collection of lands with no real connection to one another can be fixed. With that said, they’ re never going to blow it up and start over so come up with the three things you think they could add to make DCA a well rounded full day park.

DCA has some beautiful spaces with Grizzly Peak and the Cadillac Mountain range/ RSR exterior. It’s has a good amount of kinetic energy with Pixar Pier. It has nice variety of dining options. Plenty of thrill rides and exclusive ones at that. Here are the 3 rides I’d add….

1. Long indoor boat ride: DCA is desperately missing E ticket level indoor dark rides. Particularly one that the whole family from babies to grandma can ride. I’d like to see a nice 12-15 minute ride but I’d settle for 8-10 minutes. Because Im trying try to stay realistic I’d say this would probably have to be a Moana boat ride or a beefed up Frozen Ever After from WDW. The only issue with these IP is that I don’t think they necessarily lend themselves to be a long ride. Jungle Book live action I feel would be too redundant with Jungle Cruise across the esplanade. Little Mermaid could have been this ride for DCA but that boat has sailed. Princess and the Frog could have also been great. I’d say Coco but I’m saving that for #2. This would obviously come with at least a mini land and would have to go in the Hollywood backlot or the Eastern Gateway expansion.

D ticket level dark ride for Pixar Pier: My choice would be a modern suspended Peter Pan style ride but themed to Coco. We jump into different colored Alebrijes and soar over the Land of the Dead while hearing some of the great songs from the movie. DCA doesn’t have enough attractions with the spirit of adventure like POTC, Indy and basically the whole West side of Disneyland. This doesn’t completely fill the void but it scratches the itch, gives Pixar Pier some depth and could go in the apparent expansion area behind the coaster.

3. Something with some heart: The only place I feel anything at DCA is in the Animation Building lobby with the classic Disney songs or Soarin Over California when it comes back every few years. Ideally DCA would get it’s own version of Fantasyland like Fantasy Springs in Tokyo and maybe get a mix of some classic IP based dark rides like Sleeping Beauty, Adventures of Ichabod, Cinderella, Mary Poppins, BATB etc but since I have one ride left I’ll say… an indoor roller coaster at Avengers Campus. Lol. I don’t see anywhere within DCA where these rides could be executed properly or realistically (until Disneyland Forward) so I’m going with my honorable mention: an indoor coaster. Even though it isn’t needed as much as something with some heart (like Casey Junior, the FL dark rides, Snow whites Wishing well, hearing “when you wish upon a star” as you walk through the castle) we know the expansion pad is behind Avengers Campus and the land desperately needs it. And it would prevent another screen ride from infiltrating DCA. So bring on the Avengers Coaster. Another idea and this is only if there is enough room or if the Hyperion gets Demo’d and they connect the land to Eastern Gateway expansion area - I think a sprawling Hagrids style outdoor coaster based on Shang Chi or Wakanda/ Black Panther would also be really cool.

What three rides would you add? Please try to be realistic and use IP or concepts that actually have shot in hell and also use DCAs current real estate + the Eastern Gateway which is foregone conclusion to happen at some point in the not so distant future. For example I don’t think Grizzly Peak, the Pier or Cars Land will ever be demolished but YMMV. In my mind we’re really just working with the expansion pad behind Avengers Campus, the Eastern Gateway expansion area, the Hollywood Backlot, the Pixar Pier expansion pad and maybe the Hyperion and Animation Building.

2 out of 3 aint bad and we all know it SHOULD have been a coaster going into the AC expansion pad.

Last edited:

mickEblu

If Avatar in DCA is any indication I think straight cloning might end for awhile, but not cloned ideas, those will continue in my opinion. We’ll get similar lands/attractions but just different enough to seem like unique experiences.

Now that Disney seems to be in an anti clone phase it would be interesting to see what they did for Frozen at Disneyland. Maybe since Disneyland already has so many boat rides perhaps we get a whole different ride on trackless sleighs instead? Hopefully focusing on some of the more exciting moments in the franchise. The hope is that it would be less warehouse-y and feel more like Mystic Manor or Hunny Hunt.

Last edited:

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I think straight cloning might end for awhile, but not cloned ideas, those will continue in my opinion. We’ll get similar lands/attractions but just different enough to seem like unique experiences.
Disney loves to maximize the return on investment for ride system. This is totally in line with what I have been thinking for a while. You can bet Disney wants the Shanghai Pirates ride system at WDW.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You know, it would be really nice if Imagineering / Disney at least gave me a shoutout. ;) I'll even take an internship.

From Jan 2022:

2 out of 3 aint bad and we all know it SHOULD have been a coaster going into the AC expansion pad.
If you really think you're that accurate in predicting things, I mean you just called yourself Disney Columbo the other day :) , you should start a Youtube channel and make money off of it. I'm not being sarcastic here. Might as well make money off of it and if you're lucky and good you could even get some perks from Disney and may even some real inside info that you can share with the rest of us.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Now that Disney seems to be in an anti clone phase it would be interesting to see what they did for Frozen at Disneyland. Maybe since Disneyland already has so many boat rides perhaps we get a whole different ride on trackless sleighs instead? Hopefully focusing on some of the more exiting moments in the franchise. The hope is that it would be less warehouse-y and feel more like Mystic Manor or Hunny Hunt.
I kinda think for Frozen they may just got ahead and bring Oaken's here and then some type of dark ride, maybe like Manor as you suggest.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney loves to maximize the return on investment for ride system. This is totally in line with what I have been thinking for a while. You can bet Disney wants the Shanghai Pirates ride system at WDW.
Yes they do, which is why I don't think they are giving up on cloning experiences completely. Why build one when you can spread the cost of multiple across different resorts.

mickEblu

If you really think you're that accurate in predicting things, I mean you just called yourself Disney Columbo the other day :) , you should start a Youtube channel and make money off of it. I'm not being sarcastic here. Might as well make money off of it and if you're lucky and good you could even get some perks from Disney and may even some real inside info that you can share with the rest of us.

Haha thank you. I’m not going to lie. I’ve been thinking about it. I have some ideas. Might as well make some money from this hobby and all the time I spend talking about this stuff. Obviously it takes a while to make any real money but I’m spending the time anyway. It’s just more casual and sporadic instead of focused. I’m just not sure I can walk around the park talking to myself lol. So that might be kept to a minimum.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Haha thank you. I’m not going to lie. I’ve been thinking about it. I have some ideas. Might as well make some money from this hobby and all the time I spend talking about this stuff. Obviously it takes a while to make any real money but I’m spending the time anyway. It’s just more causal and sporadic instead of focused. I’m just not sure I can walk around the park talking to myself lol. So that might be kept to a minimum.
Even if I disagree with you a lot of times, especially over the last couple years, doesn't mean I don't think you have valid ideas. So yeah if you have something to say and contribute to the ether might as well do it and earn some dosh (as the Brits say, we're on a Brit site after all :) ) at the same time.

BTW, no one said you had to be one of those walk around the Park type of tubers, look at Brandon from Mickey Views or Jack from DSYN, both just sit in-front of the camera in a "studio" and speak. You can also do a combination of both, where for news and ideas are in-front of a camera, and for more construction reports be in the Park, similar to how Dave from Fresh Baked does sometimes.

mickEblu

Even if I disagree with you a lot of times, especially over the last couple years, doesn't mean I don't think you have valid ideas. So yeah if you have something to say and contribute to the ether might as well do it and earn some dosh (as the Brits say, we're on a Brit site after all :) ) at the same time.

BTW, no one said you had to be one of those walk around the Park type of tubers, look at Brandon from Mickey Views or Jack from DSYN, both just sit in-front of the camera in a "studio" and speak. You can also do a combination of both, where for news and ideas are in-front of a camera, and for more construction reports be in the Park, similar to how Dave from Fresh Baked does sometimes.

Thank you. I appreciate that

That’s true. Logistically I wouldn’t be able to do too much of the park stuff anyway. I’m too far. One time I went to the park and flirted with the idea and started gathering some pictures from some ideas I had for an Instagram page and it’s very difficult to do it when the family is with me. That would have to happen on solo trips. There’s a reason most vloggers don’t have kids haha.

SuddenStorm

Thank you. I appreciate that

That’s true. Logistically I wouldn’t be able to do too much of the park stuff anyway. I’m too far. One time I went to the park and flirted with the idea and started gathering some pictures from some ideas I had for an Instagram page and it’s very difficult to do it when the family is with me. That would have to happen on solo trips. There’s a reason most vloggers don’t have kids haha.

I have a Canon AE-1 film camera. Back in the day, pre covid, I wanted to learn how to shoot on film properly and start a blog or something where I take film photos around the park.

Perhaps if I'm ever living in Orange County again I'll do it, but with my 'I won't pay for a ticket to Disneyland' since they got rid of Splash pact, it'd be tough to go often.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Now that Disney seems to be in an anti clone phase it would be interesting to see what they did for Frozen at Disneyland. Maybe since Disneyland already has so many boat rides perhaps we get a whole different ride on trackless sleighs instead? Hopefully focusing on some of the more exciting moments in the franchise. The hope is that it would be less warehouse-y and feel more like Mystic Manor or Hunny Hunt.
Hot take: I don't know that they're capable of making a good Frozen ride. The source material is overrated, and the best part is the setting, which is basically the Matterhorn, which they wouldn't dare touch... (uh-oh)

Frozen is rather similar to Avatar in my opinion that the settings are very beautiful but the story is very meh. I'd love to get a Frozen Ice Rapids or something like that celebrating the setting like Flight of Passage does, but I think that's highly unlikely to ever happen.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom