News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

DrAlice

I liked his idea of running the RCT all the way to Paradise Gardens. That would be 🔥. But, I agree with David that it won't happen. haha

I really hope they put Avatar somewhere else. Monstropolis would be a much better fit in the backlot, IMO. It could also allow for RCT to extend back there.

I guess we just wait and see...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I liked his idea of running the RCT all the way to Paradise Gardens. That would be 🔥. But, I agree with David that it won't happen. haha

I really hope they put Avatar somewhere else. Monstropolis would be a much better fit in the backlot, IMO. It could also allow for RCT to extend back there.

I guess we just wait and see...
Other than Monsters Inc being right there I never really understood or bought into the idea of putting Monstropolis into the Backlot. There is nothing specific to me about the area that made it the ideal spot, other than just convenience because Monsters Inc was already right there.

DrAlice

Other than Monsters Inc being right there I never really understood or bought into the idea of putting Monstropolis into the Backlot. There is nothing specific to me about the area that made it the ideal spot, other than just convenience because Monsters Inc was already right there.
Monstropolis is a city/urban environment, which makes for a nicer transition from the city/urban environment of BVS and Hollywood Blvd. Avatar is completely different, and while a transition can be done with a tunnel, it just doesn't flow as well (and would likely be more expensive to build). Also, the monorail could stay without feeling like it is really out of theme. Again, just my opinion, YMMV.

Having said all of that.... Neither IP fits the DCA theme. Neither would be my choice for expansion of DCA. However, with modern Disney's penchant for copy/paste and squeezing in as much IP as possible, Monstropolis would be a relatively "simple" copy/paste from Florida.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Monstropolis is a city/urban environment, which makes for a nicer transition from the city/urban environment of BVS and Hollywood Blvd. Avatar is completely different, and while a transition can be done with a tunnel, it just doesn't flow as well (and would likely be more expensive to build). Also, the monorail could stay without feeling like it is really out of theme. Again, just my opinion, YMMV.
My issue is that Monstropolis is a modern city, while the area around it would be the 1920s/30s. So its not as clean a transition as some are thinking in my opinion, especially not based on the concept art for the WDW version. Could it work, of course, but so can Avatar with a portal/tunnel.

Also if Monsters Inc wasn't there would anyone really be pushing to have Monstropolis in the Backlot, I have my doubts many would.

As for the Monorail, that is already being moved for the Eastern Gateway anyways. So that isn't an issue no matter what is replacing the Backlot.

Having said all of that.... Neither IP fits the DCA theme. Neither would be my choice for expansion of DCA. However, with modern Disney's penchant for copy/paste and squeezing in as much IP as possible, Monstropolis would be a relatively "simple" copy/paste from Florida.
DCA, as has been discussed many times now, has dropped a majority of that theming especially recently, so I think its sort of out the window of things "not fitting" anymore, at least in my opinion.

mickEblu

My issue is that Monstropolis is a modern city, while the area around it would be the 1920s/30s. So its not as clean a transition as some are thinking in my opinion, especially not based on the concept art for the WDW version. Could it work, of course, but so can Avatar with a portal/tunnel.

Also if Monsters Inc wasn't there would anyone really be pushing to have Monstropolis in the Backlot, I have my doubts many would.

As for the Monorail, that is already being moved for the Eastern Gateway anyways. So that isn't an issue no matter what is replacing the Backlot.

DCA, as has been discussed many times now, has dropped a majority of that theming especially recently, so I think its sort of out the window of things "not fitting" anymore, at least in my opinion.

A transition from Hollywood Blvd to Monstropolis would much cleaner than Avatar IMO even though I think a portal will work.

Considering other likely expansion candidates yes, I would advocate for a Monstropolis/ Doors coaster even if the Monsters Inc ride wasn’t there but having the Monsters Inc ride there does make a much stronger case in that you already have the IP there and you get to to keep a family friendly dark ride in a park that doesn’t have many. Assuming they could keep the ride and build the coaster around it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
A transition from Hollywood Blvd to Monstropolis would much cleaner than Avatar IMO even though I think a portal will work.

Considering other likely expansion candidates yes, I would advocate for a Monstropolis/ Doors coaster even if the Monsters Inc ride wasn’t there but having the Monsters Inc ride there does make a much stronger case in that you already have the IP there and you get to to keep a family friendly dark ride in a park that doesn’t have many. Assuming they could keep the ride and build the coaster around it.
To me nothing about the area screams "Monstropolis", especially with no Monsters Inc, and especially since as I mentioned its 20s/30s themed around it. So that to me would indicate it would be better suited for something in that era if you're wanting to keep with the area around it. Someone mentioned that old Crime Stoppers idea, and I think that would fit better.

mickEblu

To me nothing about the area screams "Monstropolis", especially with no Monsters Inc, and especially since as I mentioned its 20s/30s themed around it. So that to me would indicate it would be better suited for something in that era if you're wanting to keep with the area around it. Someone mentioned that old Crime Stoppers idea, and I think that would fit better.

Well why would it scream Monstropolis? It’s currently themed to a Hollywood backlot.

You’d still be transitioning from city scape to city scape which is a softer transition of course than taking a short portal path into an alien jungle from Hollywood Blvd.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well why would it scream Monstropolis? It’s currently themed to a Hollywood backlot.

You’d still be transitioning from city scape to city scape which is a softer transition of course than taking a short portal path into an alien jungle from Hollywood Blvd.
Agree to disagree, lets move on.

wityblack

Monstropolis fits California Adventure well imo. Especially the 2012-2016 era. California Adventure works best when it explores the archetypes of locales in California. Radiator Springs isn't in California, but it represents car culture and the deserts. Grizzly Peak isn't a real California locale, but it represents the redwoods and national parks. Pacific Wharf represented fishing industry off the coast and the cannery. Paradise Pier was early century boardwalks. BVS is the early valley with spanish influenced architecture mixed with art deco. Hollywoodland is the movie industry in the 30s and 40s. "a bug's land" was a bit of an odd duck, but represented agriculture to an extent. The biggest thing missing was a downtown metropolis, ala Downtown LA. A bustling city with big business and fast paced communal charm. Monstropolis fits that bill perfectly.

MistaDee

Monstropolis fits California Adventure well imo. Especially the 2012-2016 era. California Adventure works best when it explores the archetypes of locales in California. Radiator Springs isn't in California, but it represents car culture and the deserts. Grizzly Peak isn't a real California locale, but it represents the redwoods and national parks. Pacific Wharf represented fishing industry off the coast and the cannery. Paradise Pier was early century boardwalks. BVS is the early valley with spanish influenced architecture mixed with art deco. Hollywoodland is the movie industry in the 30s and 40s. "a bug's land" was a bit of an odd duck, but represented agriculture to an extent. The biggest thing missing was a downtown metropolis, ala Downtown LA. A bustling city with big business and fast paced communal charm. Monstropolis fits that bill perfectly.

San Fransokyo, Avengers Campus and Buena Vista Street all represent various aspects of a major metropolis. I don't see how Monstropolis would add anything new to the old "California" theme.

I also don't think it would be the best use of the space under the new, more abstract "Disney Adventures" in California. Cloning the entire Monstropolis area they're putting into DHS would be a disappointment in my book: an underwhelming themed environment and a duplicate experience you can find in Florida.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

San Fransokyo, Avengers Campus and Buena Vista Street all represent various aspects of a major metropolis. I don't see how Monstropolis would add anything new to the old "California" theme.

I also don't think it would be the best use of the space under the new, more abstract "Disney Adventures" in California. Cloning the entire Monstropolis area they're putting into DHS would be a disappointment in my book: an underwhelming themed environment and a duplicate experience you can find in Florida.
It seems that Disney is moving away from cloned lands at their parks in favor of unique experiences for each resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom