News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

TheDisneyParksfanC8

That makes it seem like Disney plans on it being there for at least 10+ years, if not longer.
OG55 thinks the Pixar Pier Hotel has at least 15 years left if they decide to demo it. But in the mean time the DCA DL forward side has plenty of space. I believe OG55 said you could fit 2 SWGE sized lands along with 1 Avengers Campus sized land even with the PPH.

When they finally get to Simba, it will be interesting to see how they decide to fill out the space. Probably in phases.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
OG55 thinks the Pixar Pier Hotel has at least 15 years left if they decide to demo it. But in the mean time the DCA DL forward side has plenty of space. I believe OG55 said you could fit 2 SWGE sized lands along with 1 Avengers Campus sized land even with the PPH.

When they finally get to Simba, it will be interesting to see how they decide to fill out the space. Probably in phases.
Sorry but that is just a Youtuber speculating, that is no better than any of us speculating that Disney could tear down all of DCA and rebuild it. Sure its in the realm of possibilities when speculating as anything is possible, but the reality is different.

The rumor has always been there is a contract in place that prevents Disney from tearing down PPH. Its why they just did a multi-million dollar refurb of the hotel instead of tearing it down and rebuilding. Its also why the plan was to build a 4th hotel on top of DTD parking lot instead of rebuilding PPH.

mickEblu

I always believed that they had a rough idea of what experiences they wanted to put in each of the DLForward slots. Its why when the environmental report was done for noise they specifically outlined placement of coasters, indoor rides, outdoor rides, etc. You don't get that detailed unless you have an idea on what type of experience you want to put in each area. Obviously plans can change but I think they have an idea of what they want to do, the only thing that is likely still in flux is theming/IP for each.

I agree they have a rough idea in regards to what types of rides they want where for the noise factor. I’m just not sure those plans are detailed enough to have an impact on Avatars location. I was wondering if perhaps plans are even more concrete than that. Meaning they know they want Moana here, Frozen there etc.

If I had to guess Avatar is going in Hollywood because it’s a faster TAT and they want the synergy with the part 4 being released in 2029. You also have to wonder what the impact of the PP hotel being there is. Maybe they don’t want that thing looming over their billion dollar new ride/land and they re not sure what do with the hotel yet. So the Hollywood backlot is just the path of least resistance and has fewer constraints/ moving parts.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree they have a rough idea in regards to what types of rides they want where for the noise factor. I’m just not sure those plans are detailed enough to have an impact on Avatars location. I was wondering if perhaps plans are even more concrete than that. Meaning they know they want Moana here, Frozen there etc.

If I had to guess Avatar is going in Hollywood because it’s a faster TAT and they want the synergy with the part 4 being released in 2029. You also have to wonder what the impact of the PP hotel being there is. Maybe they don’t want that thing looming over their billion dollar new ride/land and they re not sure what do with the hotel yet. So the Hollywood backlot is just the path of least resistance and has fewer constraints/ moving parts.
I agree that using the backlot is the fastest path to get Avatar into DCA.

As for the PPH, as has been discussed in many other threads over the years as well as I repeated it here, unless something has changed, there was a contract or something preventing Disney from removing the hotel just outright. Its the reason why they didn't just tear it down years ago instead of spending the multi-millions they have on refurbing it recently. So there is a reason why it continues to loom over the area of all the submitted plans they have to Anaheim for DLForward, its likely because they are keeping it around for at least the majority of the project 40 yr timeline.

truecoat

Sorry but that is just a Youtuber speculating, that is no better than any of us speculating that Disney could tear down all of DCA and rebuild it. Sure its in the realm of possibilities when speculating as anything is possible, but the reality is different.

The rumor has always been there is a contract in place that prevents Disney from tearing down PPH. Its why they just did a multi-million dollar refurb of the hotel instead of tearing it down and rebuilding. Its also why the plan was to build a 4th hotel on top of DTD parking lot instead of rebuilding PPH.

Yep, look at the resort plan. There's a reason that square isn't green.

3923_Disneyland Resort Specific Plan 92-1_21522_202203171228190469.jpg

MK-fan

I agree that using the backlot is the fastest path to get Avatar into DCA.

As for the PPH, as has been discussed in many other threads over the years as well as I repeated it here, unless something has changed, there was a contract or something preventing Disney from removing the hotel just outright. Its the reason why they didn't just tear it down years ago instead of spending the multi-millions they have on refurbing it recently. So there is a reason why it continues to loom over the area of all the submitted plans they have to Anaheim for DLForward, its likely because they are keeping it around for at least the majority of the project 40 yr timeline.
Yea, I mean what are we really losing anyway. A neutered Disney Animation building, an unused Hyperion Theater, an awful looking Hollywood backlot stage, a kids stage show, 2 vacant buildings, a 3D Theater and a Monsters Inc ride that is aesthetically ugly and was shoehorned in. I think the biggest loss is the Red Car Trolley track but hopefully that can be lengthened elsewhere.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yea, I mean what are we really losing anyway. A neutered Disney Animation building, an unused Hyperion Theater, an awful looking Hollywood backlot stage, a kids stage show, 2 vacant buildings, a 3D Theater and a Monsters Inc ride that is aesthetically ugly and was shoehorned in. I think the biggest loss is the Red Car Trolley track but hopefully that can be lengthened elsewhere.
For what its worth I have a feeling that the Trolley will still pass in front of the entrance of Avatar if its put into the Backlot.

mickEblu

For what its worth I have a feeling that the Trolley will still pass in front of the entrance of Avatar if its put into the Backlot.

Yeah I don’t think that’s an issue at all. The bigger issue would be if they’re willing to work around the Trolley barn or build a new one

mickEblu

Hollywood Blvd is kind of like the Main Street USA in terms of parades, street performers and vehicles moving up and down that street. I expect it to stick around. Not sure what it’ll be called- BVS, Avengers Avenue, Performance Corridor 2 or whatever awful name they can come up with but I expect the street to remain with a dead end at the Hyperion.

MK-fan

For what it’s worth I have a feeling that the Trolley will still pass in front of the entrance of Avatar if it’s put into the Backlot.
It would be awkward if the trolley went through Avatarland. Are you suggesting that Avatarland would only be on the backlot end to the left and if so, what would replace the right side of Hollywood, Avengers Campus expansion?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It would be awkward if the trolley went through Avatarland. Are you suggesting that Avatarland would only be on the backlot end to the left and if so, what would replace the right side of Hollywood?
The trolley doesn't technically go through the Backlot now, it goes in front of it along Hollywood Blvd and passes by the Hyperion on Sunset Blvd.

The current rumor is that Avatar will take over the Backlot with the additional space taken from transportation hub. It will not be removing all of Hollywood Blvd or Sunset Blvd, at least as part of this rumor. That of course may change but that is the rumor as of now.

MK-fan

It is just a rumor. It's probably something completely different. No one here has access to Disney legal for the REAL reason. It is probably where Walt's head is stored and can't be moved.
Which brings up the real question that’s totally random on my part, why hasn’t Walt’s head showed up on an episode of Futurama??? more so now that Disney owns it.

etc98

I drew up a rough site plan based on the concept art of how this could fit into the Hollywood Backlot and transportation center. The boat ride building is roughly the same size as Shanghai Pirates. I think whoever the other poster was who mentioned that it looks like they are reusing Stage 12 is correct, so I kept that as the land's restaurant.

I wasn't sure whether they would keep two entrances to the land, one between Philharmagic and Schmoozies, and one next to Hyperion Theater, but if they only keep the entrance by the Hyperion, that gives them a much larger expansion pad for a hypothetical second ride taking over that space + Philharmagic. But that's probably too optimistic, and the second entrance will remain as well.

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 3.04.22 PM.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 3.05.56 PM.jpeg

Here are the same labels on the concept art:
DLR_Avatar_Experience_Aerial-1536x866.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom