News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

mickEblu

Those ideas were before we knew that we wouldn't be getting a somewhat clone of Pandora. Now that we know 100% we're not getting a clone of Pandora and its focusing on WoW and beyond most Tubers like Fresh Baked have backed off the Grizzly Peak idea.

At no point would a rethemed Redwood Creek Challenge Trail have made sense for Avatar.

Professortango1

Lol yea thank you. For a while Fresh Dave was talking about Avatar going into Red Wood Creek Challenge Trail. But not as a new build in that space like actually retheming around the Pine trees. Bro - what does this have to do with Avatar?

People talk about repurposing the GRR for the Navi ride because…. Water. Water and trees. Lol. Its one thing if they re talking about demoing Grizzly Peak and building Pandora from the ground up but that’s not they re implying.
True. As mentioned, I think Avatar replacing Grizzly Peak is a net Positive, but it would be a complete rebuild for 90% of the land. They could keep Soarin's guts and retrofit that space, but the peak, walkways, and even the hotel facade would need to be redone completely. The hotel itself would probably need to rebrand as Pandora Lodge or something.

Its highly unlikely, as much as I wish it would happen.

Consumer

Grizzly peak takes up a lot of space for what is a pretty standard water ride you'd see at any regional amusement park. Yes, the theming is a step above but it's not the type of think we'd expect from Disney. A problem with DCA on day one.

Losing it and retheming the area is not something I'd have an issue with.
Grizzly Peak, much like Rivers of America, is great because of the environment it creates. Ideally, Grizzly Peak would feature animatronic wildlife, a train ride, a WRE style Gold Rush attraction, CBJ, and potentially more. The land itself is a great theme with a lot of potential. Even with all of the unused potential, however, the land is still one of the most pleasant in the Disneyland Resort, arguably now the most pleasant with the loss of Critter Country.

mickEblu

True. As mentioned, I think Avatar replacing Grizzly Peak is a net Positive, but it would be a complete rebuild for 90% of the land. They could keep Soarin's guts and retrofit that space, but the peak, walkways, and even the hotel facade would need to be redone completely. The hotel itself would probably need to rebrand as Pandora Lodge or something.

Its highly unlikely, as much as I wish it would happen.

Your dream is my nightmare. And also a huge waste of money

mickEblu

Grizzly Peak, much like Rivers of America, is great because of the environment it creates. Ideally, Grizzly Peak would feature animatronic wildlife, a train ride, a WRE style Gold Rush attraction, CBJ, and potentially more. The land itself is a great theme with a lot of potential. Even with all of the unused potential, however, the land is still one of the most pleasant in the Disneyland Resort, arguably now the most pleasant with the loss of Critter Country.

You touched on something I was thinking the other day. It has now leapfrogged Critter Country for me. I guess Grizzly was always the better land objectively but Splash Mountain being in Critter Country with the Splash soundtrack playing throughout the land brought it up a few notches. Now Splash and its music are gone, we have the yellow and maybe elementary school mural barn coming in, a land name change that makes no sense etc.

Last edited:

Professortango1

I love the potential of Grizzly Peak, but I do feel that Imagineers/Management set up the land for failure with its placement. Its a tight L-shaped space with no room for any expansion or new attractions. In the early days we were hoping that Redwood Creek could be expanded into with the plot behind it, but the new pool and DVC towers quickly ruined those plans.

As it stands now, its a pretty area but can never be a great land. GRR lacks the spaces set up for show scenes and gets riders too wet to be a year-round draw, Soarin' is popular, but lacking for me. And that's all the land can fit. With a monorail overhead.

Its one of the reasons I really dislike the Grand Californian. It cuts Grizzly Peak off at the knees and hobbles the best themed area of the park.

Changing it to Avatar takes the disadvantage of space and makes it a positive as a darkride boat ride with show scenes and little risk of getting soaked coupled with Flight of Passage sounds like a great line-up. The limited space to explore works well with the alien world. It also closes the door on the strict California-based lands.

In reality, Grizzly Peak should have been built where Bountifal Farm was with a hollow interior to house another attraction.

Andrew25

Are people forgetting a massive showbuilding is required for the attraction?! You wouldn't want to put it in an area that blocks views from a deluxe hotel.

Consumer

I love the potential of Grizzly Peak, but I do feel that Imagineers/Management set up the land for failure with its placement. Its a tight L-shaped space with no room for any expansion or new attractions. In the early days we were hoping that Redwood Creek could be expanded into with the plot behind it, but the new pool and DVC towers quickly ruined those plans.

As it stands now, its a pretty area but can never be a great land. GRR lacks the spaces set up for show scenes and gets riders too wet to be a year-round draw, Soarin' is popular, but lacking for me. And that's all the land can fit. With a monorail overhead.

Its one of the reasons I really dislike the Grand Californian. It cuts Grizzly Peak off at the knees and hobbles the best themed area of the park.

Changing it to Avatar takes the disadvantage of space and makes it a positive as a darkride boat ride with show scenes and little risk of getting soaked coupled with Flight of Passage sounds like a great line-up. The limited space to explore works well with the alien world. It also closes the door on the strict California-based lands.

In reality, Grizzly Peak should have been built where Bountifal Farm was with a hollow interior to house another attraction.
Not sure if this concept art predates the park, but the railroad running through Grizzly Peak is a great example of what should have been.
DlohEFkV4AAxGFU.jpg

I would love to see a redesign of DCA's layout. The potential for a great park is all there if it had been properly planned out. Including the Grand Californian, that's roughly 100 acres of land to work with. Just giving the park a berm and a proper hub that serves as a central portal to its main lands would do wonders.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

No offense but I don't think Disney really cares what us on a Park forum thinks they should do.

Also has no one thought that Disney might have other plans for the Simba lot besides Avatar? I understand that some here don't think it'll fit in the back lot/transportation hub but as shown it can fit, its large enough space for a very ambitious Avatar land.
If you remove the Pixar place hotel (some Disney YouTubers think it won't be there for the long haul) you probably have enough space for two galaxy edge sized lands and one Avengers Campus sized. And if Avatar opens in the 2028-2029 timeframe, maybe Disney wants to have he first land open in the Simba lot in 2031, DCA's 30th anniversary.

Suspirian

Grizzly peak takes up a lot of space for what is a pretty standard water ride you'd see at any regional amusement park. Yes, the theming is a step above but it's not the type of think we'd expect from Disney. A problem with DCA on day one.

Losing it and retheming the area is not something I'd have an issue with.

Neither would I? At this point they can do whatever with DCA, I just think equating the two because both have trees is stupid and I don't think Disney is looking in that direction when they have another land that is full of concrete buildings that would be much easier to change over.

mickEblu

Neither would I? At this point they can do whatever with DCA, I just think equating the two because both have trees is stupid and I don't think Disney is looking in that direction when they have another land that is full of concrete buildings that would be much easier to change over.

IMO they would have to be completely out of land/ options to do something like put Avatar in Grizzly Peak. Otherwise spending those kind of resources to retheme two popular attractions for a lateral-ish move in capacity makes no sense. Not to mention then having to retheme the Grand Californian.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If you remove the Pixar place hotel (some Disney YouTubers think it won't be there for the long haul) you probably have enough space for two galaxy edge sized lands and one Avengers Campus sized. And if Avatar opens in the 2028-2029 timeframe, maybe Disney wants to have he first land open in the Simba lot in 2031, DCA's 30th anniversary.
If Disney could remove Pixar Place don't you think they would have by now? There are reasons why it remains in all the submitted planning documents for DLForward, its because as I understand it they cannot remove it at least currently. Now in the future who knows, maybe Disney can buy out whatever contract prevents it from being removed. But Disney isn't betting on that as part of the next 40 years of DLForward planning.

Professortango1

IMO they would have to be completely out of land/ options to do something like put Avatar in Grizzly Peak. Otherwise spending those kind of resources to retheme two popular attractions for a lateral-ish move in capacity makes no sense. Not to mention then having to retheme the Grand Californian.
I wouldn't say lateral as the Avatar attraction would have higher capacity than GRR and also draw guests year-round day and night vs GRR's seasonal daytime draw. And I know I would actually line up for FOP vs walking by Soarin' as I always do.

mickEblu

I think this land is kind of going to feel like Adventureland. Meaning a relatively small amount of actual “land” to walk around/ explore and a lot of ride. Probably why they re calling it Experience - to set expectations accordingly. If it HAS to go in the backlot then I think this is the right call. Making the ride epic should be top priority.

But now I have to wonder why are they trying to cram this in the backlot? Is it the extra hoops they have to jump through and resources they need to spend to get it over in the Simba lot? Or perhaps do they have a very good idea of what is going in all of the DL Forward spots and Avatar makes the most sense in Hollywood? I’ve always been under the impression that they the DL Forward plans are very loose still but I’m wondering if that may not be the case.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think this land is kind of going to feel like Adventureland. Meaning a relatively small amount of actual “land” to walk around/ explore and a lot of ride. Probably why they re calling it Experience - to set expectations accordingly. If it HAS to go in the backlot then I think this is the right call. Making the ride epic should be top priority.

But now I have to wonder why are they trying to cram this in the backlot? Is it the extra hoops they have to jump through and resources they need to spend to get it over in the Simba lot? Or perhaps do they have a very good idea of what is going on all of the DL Forward spots and Avatar makes the most sense in Hollywood? I’ve always been under the impression that they the DL Forward plans are very loose still but I’m wondering if that may not be the case.
I always believed that they had a rough idea of what experiences they wanted to put in each of the DLForward slots. Its why when the environmental report was done for noise they specifically outlined placement of coasters, indoor rides, outdoor rides, etc. You don't get that detailed unless you have an idea on what type of experience you want to put in each area. Obviously plans can change but I think they have an idea of what they want to do, the only thing that is likely still in flux is theming/IP for each.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

But now I have to wonder why are they trying to cram this in the backlot? Is it the extra hoops they have to jump through and resources they need to spend to get it over in the Simba lot? Or perhaps do they have a very good idea of what is going on all of the DL Forward spots and Avatar makes the most sense in Hollywood? I’ve always been under the impression that they the DL Forward plans are very loose still but I’m wondering if that may not be the case.
As mentioned earlier, I wonder if it's because they want to get it to DCA ASAP and construction work can commence in conjunction with the EGW. Maybe they could fit a second D ticket in the spot the current holds the Sunset Showcase theater.
I always believed that they had a rough idea of what experiences they wanted to put in each of the DLForward slots. Its why when the environmental report was done for noise they specifically outlined placement of coasters, indoor rides, outdoor rides, etc. You don't get that detailed unless you have an idea on what type of experience you want to put in each area. Obviously plans can change but I think they have an idea of what they want to do, the only thing that is likely still in flux is theming/IP for each.

We're probably a bit off from the Simba lot being touched and I think many of the ride types listed on the environmental report will probably change somewhat by the time Disney officially finalizes plans for the area. Some Disney YouTubers like OrangeGrove55 think Disney might even bulldoze the Pixar Pier hotel for even more park space on the DCA

I hope the DCA side of the DL Forward slots change to add more indoor family rides. DCA could use a large scale trackless ride with no height requirement on par with MMRR.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As mentioned earlier, I wonder if it's because they want to get it to DCA ASAP and construction work can commence in conjunction with the EGW. Maybe they could fit a second D ticket in the spot the current holds the Sunset Showcase theater.

We're probably a bit off from the Simba lot being touched and I think many of the ride types listed on the environmental report will probably change somewhat by the time Disney officially finalizes plans for the area. Some Disney YouTubers like OrangeGrove55 think Disney might even bulldoze the Pixar Pier hotel for even more park space on the DCA

I hope the DCA side of the DL Forward slots change to add more indoor family rides. DCA could use a large scale trackless ride with no height requirement on par with MMRR.
As I mentioned before, there is a reason why Pixar Pier Hotel is still shown on all DLForward plans. Its because if it could be knocked down it would have a long time ago. So I don't know where these YouTubers are getting their information from to speculate like this, but as of now Disney isn't planning as if it'll be knocked down anytime soon. As you don't go through a multi-million dollar refurb of a hotel just to knock it down a few years later. That makes it seem like Disney plans on it being there for at least 10+ years, if not longer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom