News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
Although I have high hopes for the attraction, I honestly don't think the land looks any good. Compared to the floating islands found in DAK, this stargate with a few waterfalls just doesn't captivate me. Hot take, but I really do think an Avatar boat ride should have just gone to Tomorrowland and that be it.
There are floating islands in the concept art.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I'm not sure why anyone is second-guessing the location. You can just look at the upper right and see.

View attachment 808816
Probably because most people aren't considering that this concept art could have very well been drawn before DisneylandForward was fully approved (like the other piece of concept art), so at the time Disney was leaning heavily toward this location and generated the concept accordingly. But now that DLF is approved and they didn't reveal a specific location at the expo, it is very well conceivable that they are still internally debating if they want to continue with it in the backlot or move it over to the Simba area.

I'm not trying to argue that it is DEFINITELY going to Simba, but that it is still a chance, no matter how slim. I also do concede to the fact this piece of concept art had the backlot in mind when it was created. It's not hard to see that. I will also concede to the idea that at one point it was definitely going there and that's why all the rumors point to that......however......I also know that plans can always change at the last minute when it comes to Imagineering. At least that's what everyone here says when they think they are right but want to be open to the possibility that they are wrong. Just in case.

Phroobar

Even after the Avengers ride is built, there will be plenty of room for an Avatar land right next to it. I assume the Avengers ride will be the same size as USH's Transfomers. We can be teleported by Stark Tech to Pandora. Something the size of Shanghai Pirates could be built there too.

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
Even after the Avengers ride is built, there will be plenty of room for an Avatar land right next to it. I assume the Avengers ride will be the same size as USH's Transfomers. We can be teleported by Stark Tech to Pandora. Something the size of Shanghai Pirates could be built there too.
The plot is four acres. The Avengers expansion should take at least half of that.

mickEblu

Probably because most people aren't considering that this concept art could have very well been drawn before DisneylandForward was fully approved (like the other piece of concept art), so at the time Disney was leaning heavily toward this location and generated the concept accordingly. But now that DLF is approved and they didn't reveal a specific location at the expo, it is very well conceivable that they are still internally debating if they want to continue with it in the backlot or move it over to the Simba area.

I'm not trying to argue that it is DEFINITELY going to Simba, but that it is still a chance, no matter how slim. I also do concede to the fact this piece of concept art had the backlot in mind when it was created. It's not hard to see that. I will also concede to the idea that at one point it was definitely going there and that's why all the rumors point to that......however......I also know that plans can always change at the last minute when it comes to Imagineering. At least that's what everyone here says when they think they are right but want to be open to the possibility that they are wrong. Just in case.

I mean the Mark Twain had a spiel that said TBA was going to Critter Country. They just changed it to say Bayou Country.

wityblack

For those complaining about this being in DCA because it goes against the California theme, it's a heck of a lot better than it being in Disneyland. Disney is gonna build things they deem popular enough whether they can integrate it with a themed area well or not (we saw that with Galaxy's Edge). If I have to lose the California theme of that park to preserve the other, I'm all for it.

Last edited:

mickEblu

For those complaining about this being in DCA because it goes against the California theme, it's a heck of a lot better than it being in Disneyland. Disney is gonna build things they deem popular enough whether they can integrate it with a themed area well or not (we say that with Galaxy's Edge). If I have to lose the California theme of that park to preserve the other, I'm all for it.

Especially when the tallest structure in not only the park but the whole resort is a fortress with aliens in cages.

BrianLo

Probably because most people aren't considering that this concept art could have very well been drawn before DisneylandForward was fully approved (like the other piece of concept art), so at the time Disney was leaning heavily toward this location and generated the concept accordingly.

Things can change and I won’t shut down the remote possibility. But backlot was contingent on Disneyland Forward. Because the bus loop was contingent on being moved to the eastern gateway. So it was designed with the intention and requirement of that project being approved. The project approval didn’t really change the possibilities when it was placed with DLForward in mind all along.

It’s why they were so weird about saying it was a maybe. Because they truly needed Anaheims approval for this one.

BrianLo

Are we assuming that order of construction/opening will be...

1) Avengers/Claw ride
2) Coco
3) Avatar

?

I weirdly think Avatar is more baked and will start construction sometime next year. It was the one project that was essentially ‘approved’ last year, so it has been full steam ahead.

2027 Avengers, 2028 Avatar, 2029 Coco.

Though the Eastern Gateway could slow things down.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So is 2029 the end of the decade or will Disney finagle it to be 2030?
December 31st 2029 is technically the end of the decade, but on Disney's calendar who knows.

Just saying, and I think its mentioned already in the thread, but Avatar 4 is slated to come out December 21st 2029. So make of that what you will.

wityblack

Avengers will likely be bigger. Transformers utilizes an elevator to make everything more compact and have two stories for the ride (like Rise). The concept art doesn't show a tall building.

Phroobar

Avengers will likely be bigger. Transformers utilizes an elevator to make everything more compact and have two stories for the ride (like Rise). The concept art doesn't show a tall building.
Looks like it has multiple floors to me. It is just a big warehouse box. No reason why they couldn't do an elevator.
iu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom