News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Y'all are making me feel super old. The McDonald's fight over the Eastern Gateway wasn't THAT long ago. Right?

Right?!?!?!?!

*looks at my teenager* Never mind. Time flies when you're having fun.
Yep it predates you actually joining up on this site. My gray hairs have gray hairs, its been that long. Fun times......

MoonRakerSCM

I KNOW! I looked back at that EGW thread and was all 'good lord the last post in this was in 2020'! Y'alls don't know, THIS was reality for us back then-

1723431393209.jpeg

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
DisneylandForward is not a "project". It's not a "designated theme park expansion development space" on the property. It is simply a rezoning of areas of land owned by Disney across the whole resort that previously couldn't be used for multi-purpose but now can. There is also no reason DLF would be talked about at D23 (or any expo) in the same vein as the parking garages or transportation hub would not be talked about. It's just property rezoning. It's just expansion space. No need for fanfare. Just use it as if they were using any other freed-up or reallocated backstage area (like MMRR).

DisneylandForward is approved. I don't see why there's a need for a waiting period to develop theme park space in the Simba lot. I also don't see why there is any need to wait until the EGW is finished to develop theme park space in the Simba lot. Disney can easily shuffle parking around to accommodate. Avatar wouldn't take up the entire lot anyway. They can move some of the public DTD parking back up to Stitch if necessary. It might suck for cast members for a while, but it is what it is. At some point all of that parking is going to get moved further away anyway.

Lastly, I don't think there is need for Disney to "officially" allocate Simba as DCA space publicly in order for it to be "official" DCA space. The new zoning is approved. They can file permits tomorrow if they wanted to.

At the end of the day, I'm not saying Avatar is going in Simba instead of the backlot, but I don't currently buy any of the reasons given as to why it can't or that it would need years of extra time. I think there's an equal chance at this point for it to go in either space, but since I don't believe the EGW is holding up the Simba spot like it is the backlot, I think if Disney wanted it done quicker that would be the site to do it....plus as others have said, they would have more freedom of space than the restrictions of the backlot. To me, Avatar is the project where they need to go big or go home.

Here's the theoretical 7.5 acres of Avatar space and the parking spaces they are potentially losing.

1723433328226.png

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Nope, you're wrong on that one.

Take a look at the thread here, long read for sure, but the Eastern Gateway was practically starting construction (Disney DID demolish the hotel where the path will be). We have plans (detailed plans) and it was moving forward until Anaheim flat out pooped all over Disney's plans (rather unfairly almost approaching legal action if I recall correctly). This is the image I've been posting which uses the plans from Disney (doctored with red (monorail reloacting) and yellow (~7.6 acre footprint that is only a couple 10s of an acre short of the entire footprint of Avatarland in Animal Kingdom)-

View attachment 808505
Obviously there's room for adjustment, but I'm not sure if the monorail could conceivably do this tight of a turn radius:

1723435009629.png

I don't know what the minimum radius is, but I've observed that the current smallest is about 100' in the Autopia area.

MoonRakerSCM

Obviously there's room for adjustment, but I'm not sure if the monorail could conceivably do this tight of a turn radius:

View attachment 808526
I don't know what the minimum radius is, but I've observed that the current smallest is about 100' in the Autopia area.
Disney had it shown on their official plans (cut off in the version I have). Also I've mentioned above that I measured it years ago and it is equal to the tightest turns in the Tland 'spaghetti bowl'. 100' radius is easy in that spot-

1723436211348.png

MoonRakerSCM

Here's the theoretical 7.5 acres of Avatar space and the parking spaces they are potentially losing.

View attachment 808517
The argument here is that's now 7.5 acres of parking lost to the resort. I'm not up on recent goings-ons with parking, but I was under the impression that parking was already well at capacity. That's why the Eastern Gateway was being done.

Though, agreed, no reason Avatar can't go here... heck, coco could go in the backlot and they could put in a whole Olvera Street area back there.

I would argue though that the concept of 'space' isn't too big of an argument. Whether it's now or 30 years from now, Anaheim property is at a premium and anything that gets built anywhere will be maximized for space utilization.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Disney had it shown on their official plans (cut off in the version I have). Also I've mentioned above that I measured it years ago and it is equal to the tightest turns in the Tland 'spaghetti bowl'. 100' radius is easy in that spot-

View attachment 808528
Yeah, like I said, they would make it work....just looked tight to me, maybe because the image was zoomed out more and it threw me off.

MoonRakerSCM

Size/space is a weird thing. That's what I've been pointing out in here is that size wise, AK's Avatarland could fit into the backlot/bus space just fine. It's hard to visualize or think about it, but the reality is, it'd fit acreage wise with minimal tweaks.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
The argument here is that's now 7.5 acres of parking lost to the resort. I'm not up on recent goings-ons with parking, but I was under the impression that parking was already well at capacity. That's why the Eastern Gateway was being done.
Well, Simba is used for Downtown Disney parking, so worst case scenario, the lot fills up faster and there is a little less capacity for hourly parking....or like I said above, reallocate some of Stitch parking back for DTD in the interim.

I'm not sure if the EGW garage will be accommodating DTD parking or not. Not sure what their long-term goal is for DTD parking and if they expect people to park in the EGW garage and Toy Story/Pixar Pals or if they will build new garages closer to DTD like in the purple boxes I put in this post:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Size/space is a weird thing. That's what I've been pointing out in here is that size wise, AK's Avatarland could fit into the backlot/bus space just fine. It's hard to visualize or think about it, but the reality is, it'd fit acreage wise with minimal tweaks.
Yeah, but the question is.....do we want our Avatar land to be bigger and better? ;)

Misted Compass

Of note this is what the planned new transportation hub and new structure were to look like-

View attachment 808508

I recall the immigration services building was in the way and there was no way it was budging at least until its lease was up... when was that to be? It may have been so long it might be gone now (heck, Disney could already own it for all we know).
Another change between the original and current plans is that security likely won't be relocated due to the bridge plans now allowing access to Harbor (which I remember being talked about in the DLForward thread).

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
I know they can't exactly pick up and move rides around the world, but if this is indeed going into the Backlot it would be nice to see DCA's Monsters Inc ride or some iteration of it come to DHS to supplement the new coaster. Lord knows that park needs more small/family experiences.

Sidebar but as a FL native I fly out for my first ever trip to DLR tomorrow! Looking forward to seeing everything in person finally. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom