News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

Mickey's Pal

Its already slated to be moved to the new Eastern Gateway off of Manchester. Its been something Disney and Anaheim has wanted to do for a decade now.
excuse my ignorance but what is the eastern gateway? Is this a Disneyland Foreward entrance that does not exist yet or something that currently exists. It makes mo semse to me to get rid of the tranaportatiom hib that is right outside the main gates

Wendy Pleakley

I'll have to watch a Shanghai Pirates video again, but I thought the ride looked a bit boring for large portions.

It has the potential to make good use of physical sets and screens for the big scenes, but it didn't have much in the way of animatronics and just didn't have the amount of content Disneyland Pirates does.

I'm still optimistic.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
excuse my ignorance but what is the eastern gateway? Is this a Disneyland Foreward entrance that does not exist yet or something that currently exists. It makes mo semse to me to get rid of the tranaportatiom hib that is right outside the main gates
The Eastern Gateway is a project that has been slated for Disneyland Resort for a long time, it goes back a decade (or more) at this point.

There is a thread about it -

Basically both Disney and Anaheim want to get all the Resort transportation and pedestrian traffic off of Harbor streets. The idea is that the Pumbaa surface lot will become a new multi-story parking structure. It will have a new transportation hub that takes traffic off of Harbor and puts it on Manchester. A new pedestrian bridge will be constructed over Harbor that leads directly into the Resort. This will remove the cross walk on Harbor, something that Anaheim has wanted to do for a very long time.

Because of Disney/Anaheim issue in the past, its now included as part of DisneylandForward.

So this is all to say that Disney is planning on using the old transportation hub for DCA expansion.

mickEblu

I'll have to watch a Shanghai Pirates video again, but I thought the ride looked a bit boring for large portions.

It has the potential to make good use of physical sets and screens for the big scenes, but it didn't have much in the way of animatronics and just didn't have the amount of content Disneyland Pirates does.

I'm still optimistic.

It looks like a pretty nice blend to me. Pirates at DL is amazing but I’m not sure people want a passive 15 minute slow moving boat ride front loaded with thrills in 2025 as a new build.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I'm still optimistic.
Doesn't it have the Jack Sparrow AA with the projection mapping overlay?

Mickey's Pal

The Eastern Gateway is a project that has been slated for Disneyland Resort for a long time, it goes back a decade (or more) at this point.

There is a thread about it -

Basically both Disney and Anaheim want to get all the Resort transportation and pedestrian traffic off of Harbor streets. The idea is that the Pumbaa surface lot will become a new multi-story parking structure. It will have a new transportation hub that takes traffic off of Harbor and puts it on Manchester. A new pedestrian bridge will be constructed over Harbor that leads directly into the Resort. This will remove the cross walk on Harbor, something that Anaheim has wanted to do for a very long time.

Because of Disney/Anaheim issue in the past, its now included as part of DisneylandForward.

So this is all to say that Disney is planning on using the old transportation hub for DCA expansion.
Well then this makes it even more less likely they will use the ttansportation hub as part of Avatar land. They won't get rid of it if a new hub is not already in place or ready to go.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well then this makes it even more less likely they will use the ttansportation hub as part of Avatar land. They won't get rid of it if a new hub is not already in place or ready to go.
No matter where Avatar goes its dependent on the Eastern Gateway project being completed. This is the first domino to fall in any expansion of DCA and the entire Resort. This includes any potential for Avatar to go into any slot slated for DisneylandForward. Its ALL dependent on the Eastern Gateway and the new Transportation Hub being completed.

Mickey's Pal

No matter where Avatar goes its dependent on the Eastern Gateway project being completed. This is the first domino to fall in any expansion of DCA and the entire Resort. This includes any potential for Avatar to go into any slot slated for DisneylandForward. Its ALL dependent on the Eastern Gateway and the new Transportation Hub being completed.
Is it though? Joshy boy said dirt is ready to move. They did not talk about Disneyland Forward or a DCA Forward of a gateway of any kind. Only that this new land and rides are coming. So I don't think this gateway thing is a factor at all in building this land

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Is it though? Joshy boy said dirt is ready to move. They did not talk about Disneyland Forward or a DCA Forward of a gateway of any kind. Only that this new land and rides are coming. So I don't think this gateway thing is a factor at all in building this land
Please then tell me where in the current DCA footprint can Avatar go today without any expansion? Also note they didn't state a construction start date for Avatar.

Also they didn't talk about DisneylandForward as its not ready to have projects announced. And the Eastern Gateway is not a project you discuss at D23, as its just a parking structure and transportation hub.

Mickey's Pal

Please then tell me where in the current DCA footprint can Avatar go today without any expansion? Also note they didn't state a construction start date for Avatar.
That was my question to everyone. But if the transportation hub was going to be moved and a new parking garage needs to be built they would have announced that too. They didn't. Josh said himself dirt is ready to move. This is not a blue sky presentation and this whatever gateway thing is sounds beey blue sky to me. I think yoi are wrong on this one.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That was my question to everyone. But if the transportation hub was going to be moved and a new parking garage needs to be built they would have announced that too. They didn't. Josh said himself dirt is ready to move. This is not a blue sky presentation and this whatever gateway thing is sounds beey blue sky to me. I think yoi are wrong on this one.
It was already announced, and again D23 is not the place they announce new parking garages and a new transportation hub. I don't believe they've announce that at any D23 ever that I can recall.

As was pointed out by another poster just a post ago, the Eastern Gateway is a shovel ready project its not blue sky. Its already permitted and ready to go.

Mickey's Pal

It was already announced, and again D23 is not the place they announce new parking garages and a new transportation hub. I don't believe they've announce that at any D23 ever that I can recall.

As was pointed out by another poster just a post ago, the Eastern Gateway is a shovel ready project its not blue sky. Its already permitted and ready to go.
We'll see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom