News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

MoonRakerSCM

This is not a blue sky presentation and this whatever gateway thing is sounds beey blue sky to me.
Nope, you're wrong on that one.

Take a look at the thread here, long read for sure, but the Eastern Gateway was practically starting construction (Disney DID demolish the hotel where the path will be). We have plans (detailed plans) and it was moving forward until Anaheim flat out pooped all over Disney's plans (rather unfairly almost approaching legal action if I recall correctly). This is the image I've been posting which uses the plans from Disney (doctored with red (monorail reloacting) and yellow (~7.6 acre footprint that is only a couple 10s of an acre short of the entire footprint of Avatarland in Animal Kingdom)-

1723428385526.png

mickEblu

No matter where Avatar goes its dependent on the Eastern Gateway project being completed. This is the first domino to fall in any expansion of DCA and the entire Resort. This includes any potential for Avatar to go into any slot slated for DisneylandForward. Its ALL dependent on the Eastern Gateway and the new Transportation Hub being completed.

Right which isn’t the case with Coco or Avengers.

mickEblu

Take a look at the thread here, long read for sure, but the Eastern Gateway was practically starting construction (Disney DID demolish the hotel where the path will be). We have plans (detailed plans) and it was moving forward until Anaheim flat out pooped all over Disney's plans (rather unfairly almost approaching legal action if I recall correctly). This is the image I've been posting which uses the plans from Disney (doctored with red (monorail reloacting) and yellow (~7.6 acre footprint that is only a couple 10s of an acre short of the entire footprint of Avatarland in Animal Kingdom)-

View attachment 808505

Can the Monorail make that sharp turn there at the end in red?

MoonRakerSCM

So the sharp turn onto the BVS bridge is not shown on the direct overhead image we have (that I've georeferenced) BUT there is a shot somewhere kind of oblique of a full version of the plan by Disney that has it making the turn.

Along with that, I recall (likely ~5 years ago) going through and making a comparison myself of the turn and the sharpest turns the monorail does in the 'spaghetti bowl' above the subs/Autopia. It makes turns that tight already.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah, take a look at the stuff we're showing you, just explaining what is going on. Note the thread below had its last post from 2020 before I bumped it today.

Not to mention the original thread from 2016 -

Mickey's Pal

View attachment 808505
Thx you guys for the info. I haven't been here that long.

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
If what remains is just the Hyperion theater (Philhar would be good for demolition as extra space for a dark ride to either the Hollywood or Avatar land), could the entire area just become annexed into Buena Vista Street? They have pretty similar themes and would become relatively small enough to be combined.
I'm pretty sure OP was just making a rough estimate for the monorail. If there's a show building in that general corner area, it could simply glide through a tunnel (perhaps viewing into whatever is in there without being noticeable?), then continue forward to Disneyland.

Something to think about- Parklore armchair imagineered a version of DCA, which used the same Eastern Gateway expansion plot to create a different Avengers Campus.

1723429180006.png

Annexing in the backlot space gives the entire land a lot of breathing room. There are some interesting transition and design notes too:

Hopeful me dreams that they can actually build the TCL Chinese Theater (even if an hour drive away) so it can act as a transition to Avatar.

MoonRakerSCM

Thx you guys for the info. I haven't been here that long.

Absolutely! It's a mess honestly because it was something so long ago that was a hot topic... so it makes perfect sense to me, but yes, it is true that they did NOT mention it during this presentation. I note though that they did not provide a full land layout (like they did for Tropical Americas). So this IS all an assumption on our part, I've simply been showing that space wise, it CAN work.

I've been thinking that if they were in fact putting this in Simba lot... they would have said that. The first piece of Disneyland Forward etc... but nothing. Of note, that would require shutting down parking without any additional parking being put in. Disney has a plan to put in parking... being the Eastern Gateway.

This brought up another memory that was at the same time... Disney WAS building a huge hotel where ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe were. That was a done deal... it WAS happening. But as I recall, it along with the Eastern Gateway were being assembled at a time that the Anaheim City Council had SERIOUS beef with Disney and they did ANYTHING they could to roadblock Disney. I seem to remember that Anaheim denied the final hotel permit because a city council member noted that the address for the hotel was not what was in the original submitted permit (from like 20 years earlier). Disney packed up and walked away awaiting better City relations, which they now have.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Absolutely! It's a mess honestly because it was something so long ago that was a hot topic... so it makes perfect sense to me, but yes, it is true that they did NOT mention it during this presentation. I note though that they did not provide a full land layout (like they did for Tropical Americas). So this IS all an assumption on our part, I've simply been showing that space wise, it CAN work.

I've been thinking that if they were in fact putting this in Simba lot... they would have said that. The first piece of Disneyland Forward etc... but nothing. Of note, that would require shutting down parking without any additional parking being put in. Disney has a plan to put in parking... being the Eastern Gateway.

This brought up another memory that was at the same time... Disney WAS building a huge hotel where ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe were. That was a done deal... it WAS happening. But as I recall, it along with the Eastern Gateway were being assembled at a time that the Anaheim City Council had SERIOUS beef with Disney and they did ANYTHING they could to roadblock Disney. I seem to remember that Anaheim denied the final hotel permit because a city council member noted that the address for the hotel was not what was in the original submitted permit (from like 20 years earlier). Disney packed up and walked away awaiting better City relations, which they now have.
The hotel thing was dumb on Anaheim's part. The EGW was just dumb on the Harbor businesses part, as we're getting almost exactly the same outcome just many years later.

MoonRakerSCM

Of note this is what the planned new transportation hub and new structure were to look like-

1723429864262.png

I recall the immigration services building was in the way and there was no way it was budging at least until its lease was up... when was that to be? It may have been so long it might be gone now (heck, Disney could already own it for all we know).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Of note this is what the planned new transportation hub and new structure were to look like-

View attachment 808508

I recall the immigration services building was in the way and there was no way it was budging at least until its lease was up... when was that to be? It may have been so long it might be gone now (heck, Disney could already own it for all we know).
CIS lease ended in 2019/2020 if I recall correctly. The building was rumored to be used by TDA as I recall until its demoed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So Disney DOES own it? Hah! So yeah, that entire area may look entirely different... but the walkway/bridge I assume will still be the same? If Disney had acquired another of the Harbor businesses I assume we'd know...
Yes they own it, and I believe a new updated graphic which shows the parking structure taking over that foot print was submitted with the Eastern Gateway proposal to Anaheim, which got approved.

I don't believe we've heard about Disney acquiring or owning any other Harbor business at this point. That would have been big news and talked about for months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom