News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

BrianLo

First picture is the most ‘complete’ supposedly. You can see it will host an elevated queue if you zoom in. The second most recent iteration (third picture - look carefully at the flat water painted bit at the base of the model) you can more clearly see the ride track and a vehicle painted on it that still shows there is a brief outdoor element.
IMG_9234.jpeg
IMG_9229.jpeg
IMG_9236.jpeg

MagicWDI

You're talking about the Pixar Pals parking structure and pedestrian bridge in your last sentence, which is what I was talking about also. So you agree with my assessment that it'll be ~18 months for construction of the Pumbaa structure and Harbor bridge.
My mistake. I meant to say Disney Way and mistakenly put Magic Way. The parking structure I'm referring to is the new Eastern Gateway parking structure.

SplashJacket

I think this is the project I have the most confidence in of everything shown last night. The whale concept image is a screen I’m 90% sure. But I love also the set pieces in the forested second concept image. Should adhere to Shanghai’s pirate structuring and mix of both huge image style screens and set pieces .
I think it’ll be more like Navi River Journey on a Shanghai Pirates scale where there’s screens integrated in the background but not as the main focus.

MoonRakerSCM

I think it’ll be more like Navi River Journey on a Shanghai Pirates scale where there’s screens integrated in the background but not as the main focus.
Na'vi River Journey does this aspect SO well...the problem is it sets the mood... and kind of gets you into it............ then it ends. If this attraction continues and expands upon it with some story to it to add excitement, it should be a hit...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My mistake. I meant to say Disney Way and mistakenly put Magic Way. The parking structure I'm referring to is the new Eastern Gateway parking structure.
I'm not even sure what you're talking about then, because Disney Way doesn't have a bridge or even a proposed bridge. Also none of this goes across Anaheim Blvd either. So I really think you have your streets mixed up here.

Also we have a recent example of how long a parking structure and pedestrian bridge will take with Pixar Pal and its bridge, as it was completed within the last decade. Even using your example of the DTD bridge, that didn't take more than 18 months if I recall correctly.

Bottom line I don't think the EGW Pumbaa structure and the Harbor pedestrian bridge will take much longer than 18 months from start to finish. Other stuff with the EGW project like monorail realignment and such may take longer, but not the actual parking structure and bridge, in my opinion anyways.

MagicWDI

I'm not even sure what you're talking about then, because Disney Way doesn't have a bridge or even a proposed bridge. Also none of this goes across Anaheim Blvd either. So I really think you have your streets mixed up here.

Also we have a recent example of how long a parking structure and pedestrian bridge will take with Pixar Pal and its bridge, as it was completed within the last decade. Even using your example of the DTD bridge, that didn't take more than 18 months if I recall correctly.

Bottom line I don't think the EGW Pumbaa structure and the Harbor pedestrian bridge will take much longer than 18 months from start to finish. Other stuff with the EGW project like monorail realignment and such may take longer, but not the actual parking structure and bridge, in my opinion anyways.
Just for clarification, you're referring to a prefab pedestrian span that is mostly constructed off site and trucked in then set in place. I'm referring to the structure displayed in the site plans that were released, which shows that it is more similar to the DTD bridge span over Disneyland Dr, which is not a prefabricated structure but rather a concrete span, if I am not mistaken. Two completely different types of structures.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just for clarification, you're referring to a prefab pedestrian span that is mostly constructed off site and trucked in then set in place. I'm referring to the structure displayed in the site plans that were released, which shows that it is more similar to the DTD bridge span over Disneyland Dr, which is not a prefabricated structure but rather a concrete span, if I am not mistaken. Two completely different types of structures.
Understood, but still the DTD bridge only took about 18 months if I remember correctly. Heck didn't all of DTD take about 2 years in total. So I don't see how the type of bridge in this case makes a difference, its a pedestrian bridge not a car bridge. So its not like its going to take 3+ years to complete. Plus the new parking structure and the new bridge can likely be built at the same time, much like DTD was all worked on at the same time.

The whole point is its not going to take years for construction to be completed once started.

There’s one extremely curious aspect of this proposed land and I’m curious if anyone has any guesses as to what it could be.

Clearly, they intend to have extensive rock work surrounding the perimeter blocking out any possible sightline concerns (a la Epic Universe). However, there’s one very conspicuous gap clearly illustrating an opening out to the “sea” with a canopy strategically hanging above it.
If I were to guess, I’d imagine they’re setting up an elaborate screen simulating the sea just past the perimeter but surely that would be next to impossible right? Does any such technology exist?!
What could the plan possibly be there?
Any guesses?!

Attachments

• IMG_5883.jpeg
    IMG_5883.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5880.jpeg
    IMG_5880.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 19

MoonRakerSCM

First picture is the most ‘complete’ supposedly. You can see it will host an elevated queue if you zoom in. The second most recent iteration (third picture - look carefully at the flat water painted bit at the base of the model) you can more clearly see the ride track and a vehicle painted on it that still shows there is a brief outdoor element. View attachment 808466View attachment 808467View attachment 808468
GREAT catch! While not 100% certain, it shows that it was/is part of the process... my bet is that having the ride have some height to the loading area allows them to have a drop in the attraction.
There’s one extremely curious aspect of this proposed land and I’m curious if anyone has any guesses as to what it could be.

Clearly, they intend to have extensive rock work surrounding the perimeter blocking out any possible sightline concerns (a la Epic Universe). However, there’s one very conspicuous gap clearly illustrating an opening out to the “sea” with a canopy strategically hanging above it.
If I were to guess, I’d imagine they’re setting up an elaborate screen simulating the sea just past the perimeter but surely that would be next to impossible right? Does any such technology exist?!
Any guesses?!
I've been purposefully ignoring that little 'window' because it doesn't make much sense. So, my thought is that it maybe a bit higher and not as seen in these images... I highly doubt they'd have something allowing guests to see a distance 'horizon' or something as no tech would be reliable/believable enough...

To have a sightline disappear into blue skies, they have to have the vantage point be low enough looking upward that would not allow any distant height intrusion (Disney or non) to impede into it.

SplashJacket

Any guesses?!
the screens they use for filming shoes would be more than adequate for this.

The safari had a similar sunset effect

etc98

Any guesses?!
One random thought I had is that, if I’m orienting everything correctly, the gap is right about where the land buts up against the walkway from the eastern gateway. Would be interesting if there was almost like a window from that walkway into the land.

Even if it’s not, I’m very curious how the backside of the land will look from that walkway.

mickEblu

I think this is the project I have the most confidence in of everything shown last night. The whale concept image is a screen I’m 90% sure. But I love also the set pieces in the forested second concept image. Should adhere to Shanghai’s pirate structuring and mix of both huge image style screens and set pieces .

Those triceratops and black panther things are for sure AA's though. What everyone wanted for Navi River

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Any idea where Avatar is going to go or the Coco Ride? Where is this extra space coming from?
Rumor for Avatar is still the Hollywood Backlot with the added area from the Transportation Hub, and Coco is thought to be in the area behind Incredicoaster/TSMM which was rumored to be for a dark ride in the past. Some thoughts on Coco in Paradise Gardens too.

Mickey's Pal

Rumor for Avatar is still the Hollywood Backlot, and Coco is thought to be in the area behind Incredicoaster/TSMM which was rumored to be for a dark ride in the past. Some thoughts on Coco in Paradise Gardens too.
But is Hollywood backlot big enough for Avatar? That area is tiny and Avatar os nig and spacious and is a nig jungle type environment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom