News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

MoonRakerSCM

Yup. I'm trying to think back... was the Eastern Gateway practically ready to dig? I seem to recall that it WAS happening, until Anaheim pooped in the room.

Same as the poorly designed hotel where Rainforest/ESPN zone is... that WAS happening... until Anaheim pooped the room.

MoonRakerSCM

They didn't announce a start date (or year) for construction on this right? Anyone sad to see Monsters Inc go? Doesn't seem like it. Haha
Lol, it's seemingly a non conversation. I think I had one thought last night while arm chairing this going into the backlot... and had a fleeting moment of 'huh, monsters would be gone'... and nothing beyond that.

Poor ride.

Vegas Disney Fan

They didn't announce a start date (or year) for construction on this right? Anyone sad to see Monsters Inc go? Doesn't seem like it. Haha
The lack of dates is concerning to me, I have no doubt they have plans in place but both the Hollywood plot and the eastern gateway require massive infrastructure changes before they can happen.

I’ll miss Monsters but won’t shed a tear at its loss.

mickEblu

The lack of dates is concerning to me, I have no doubt they have plans in place but both the Hollywood plot and the eastern gateway require massive infrastructure changes before they can happen.

I’ll miss Monsters but won’t shed a tear at its loss.

I won't miss it as much as I hate that they re dropping the ball on Monstropolis and the Doors coaster going into DCA. Build the coaster behind Monsters Inc and now you have a net gain in attractions. It would also be a seamless fit and much easier to implement there than Avatar. If Frozen ends up as a Fantasyland expansion and they cram Avatar, Coco, and all the Marvel stuff in DCA proper that's still a ton of DL Forward expansion space. Space for a bunch of likely candidates I have no interest in like Zootopia. I'd be more than fine with them putting Avatar in Simba and giving up a little of the potential expansion space for the above reasons. Also did I mention coaster?

DisneyAJ

I won't miss it as much as I hate that they re dropping the ball on Monstropolis and the Doors coaster going into DCA. Build the coaster behind Monsters Inc and now you have a net gain in attractions. It would also be a seamless fit and much easier to implement there than Avatar. If Frozen ends up as a Fantasyland expansion and they cram Avatar, Coco, and all the Marvel stuff in DCA proper that's still a ton of DL Forward expansion space. Space for a bunch of likely candidates I have no interest in like Zootopia. I'd be more than fine with them putting Avatar in Simba and giving up a little of the potential expansion space for the above reasons. Also did I mention coaster?
Agree 100%. Monstropolis would be such a great fit, and thematically would work much better there than Avatar. Plus getting another coaster at DLR is so needed!

J4546

i just dont see enough space for a potc sized building if its not in the simba lot...the concept are makes the land look massive and theres just not enough space in the hollywood backlot even after the eastern gateway plans to build as massive a land as they seem to be hinting at

DrAlice

For those insisting that this will go in Simba, I'd like to remind you that the Simba lot isn't officially part of DCA yet. They specifically stated this was shovel ready and would be going in DCA. The Simba lot is years if not a decade away from being able to be developed, they aren't waiting until that plot is available to build this.
My thought about Simba came from the idea that even if the land goes into Hollywood, it will likely spill into the transportation hub area, thus requiring construction of the Eastern Gateway. IF that is true, then EITHER location is years away. They did not give us a timeline.

I acknowledge that these thoughts are full of assumptions that can be totally wrong. YMMV.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My thought about Simba came from the idea that even if the land goes into Hollywood, it will likely spill into the parking area, thus requiring construction of the Eastern Gateway. IF that is true, then EITHER location is years away. They did not give us a timeline.

I acknowledge that these thoughts are full of assumptions that can be totally wrong. YMMV.
It'll be dependent on the Eastern Gateway no matter where it goes. That won't be a long project if we use Pixar Pals as a example, something like 18ish months. Which means that Avatar, if it waits until that is fully completed, can get started in 2026 if they start the EGW by the end of this year/beginning of next year which I anticipate.

But nothing is preventing them from starting Avatar at the same time as EGW. So it could start next year as well. Which is why the backlot still makes the most sense.

DrAlice

It'll be dependent on the Eastern Gateway no matter where it goes. That won't be a long project if we use Pixar Pals as a example, something like 18ish months. Which means that Avatar, if it waits until that is fully completed, can get started in 2026 if they start the EGW by the end of this year/beginning of next year which I anticipate.

But nothing is preventing them from starting Avatar at the same time as EGW. So it could start next year as well. Which is why the backlot still makes the most sense.

18 months for a parking garage, but don't forget they have to build a bridge across Harbor and whatever paths they are creating on the hotel side of the street. Did they do all of that for Pixar Pals at once or phases (I can't remember)?

Also, you are leaving out the part where I REALLY Want the door coaster to come to DCA. ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
18 months for a parking garage, but don't forget they have to build a bridge across Harbor and whatever paths they are creating on the hotel side of the street. Did they do all of that for Pixar Pals at once or phases (I can't remember)?
The structure was built in one phase, and the pedestrian bridge for Pixar Pals came a month or two after if I remember correctly. But it didn't take very long to put in the bridge (couple days if I remember correctly) as it was done in sections. This bridge over Harbor is just a larger version of that. With bridges like this is can build a lot of it offsite and bring it in on trucks in sections for installation. Anaheim isn't going to want to close all of Harbor for months just to build a bridge. So it'll be done the same way.

Also, you are leaving out the part where I REALLY Want the door coaster to come to DCA. ;)
Well the Door Coaster could go in any of the slots slated for DCA in DLForward, doesn't have to be in the backlot.

MoonRakerSCM

i just dont see enough space for a potc sized building if its not in the simba lot...the concept are makes the land look massive and thei res just not enough space in the hollywood backlot even after the eastern gateway plans to build as massive a land as they seem to be hinting at
You have to consider what is art vs. practical size of lands... and the realization that guest walkable/usable spaces are actually MUCH smaller than we realize when you look at the numbers.

The acreage for the showbuildings of Na'vi River Journey and Flight of Passage COMBINED is 2.6 acres. Admittedly this ride is rumored to use the system of Shanghai's pirates, that is (to my best measurement of the entire building which may contain other things) is 3.5acres.

The area outlined in yellow in my images in previous posts which allows the eastern gateway walkway (as previously designed by Disney) to the north, monorail (as previously designed by Disney) to the west, and the underground roadway to the east (makes sense) as boundaries, comes to 7.4 acres. With an assumed (from Shanghai) showbuilding (which will be the rockwork) of 3.5 acres, this leaves 3.9 acres for other areas of the land. Satuli Canteen (including the bathrooms) is 0.9 acres. That leaves 3 acres for the land.

As seen here, I'd say that the footprint of what is considered to be 'Avatarland' walkable, themed, 'land' area including perimeter vegetation themed 'berms' minus the restaurant and ride footprints, comes to 3 acres-

1723405834719.png

So, I'm just sayin'.... it's certainly doable when considering comparable projects. Obviously the concept art shows more rockwork vs vegetation in our land... so I think we're going to be seeing perimeters very similar to the resistance side of Star Wars Land... vegetation, but mostly rockwork creating that edge (atop a showbuilding).

MagicWDI

The structure was built in one phase, and the pedestrian bridge for Pixar Pals came a month or two after if I remember correctly. But it didn't take very long to put in the bridge (couple days if I remember correctly) as it was done in sections. This bridge over Harbor is just a larger version of that. With bridges like this is can build a lot of it offsite and bring it in on trucks in sections for installation. Anaheim isn't going to want to close all of Harbor for months just to build a bridge. So it'll be done the same way.

Well the Door Coaster could go in any of the slots slated for DCA in DLForward, doesn't have to be in the backlot.
The Harbor bridge structure will most likely be structurally similar to the concrete bridge spanning Disneyland Dr for DTD. These structures usually take 18 to 24 months and do not need to have long closers for an active road underneath. Maybe some overnight closings to install and remove falsework, but closures could be reduced to only overnight closures. I doubt any midspan supports are needed, which will help the timeline process and reduce the need for any large alterations to Harbor below. I would take a blind guess of an 18 month timeframe of construction. This project would need to be in conjunction with the city's planners, engineers and design, which can take some time, but I'd hope these plans are already completed, hopefully. My guess it would probably take the same timeframe of the parking structure and the bridge structure spanning the parking structure to the intersection of Disney Way and S Anaheim Blvd.

All speculation on my part

Edit: Changed Magic Way to Disney Way

Last edited:

MoonRakerSCM

Captveg made an excellent point in another thread about wheter it's backlot or Simba, the project requires a bridge to be built either over Harbor or Disneyland Dr... I'd argue that Eastern Gateway needs to happen before Simba lot gets cut into as parking is an issue already isn't it?

Potentially another point for Aland going into the backlot vs. Simba...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Harbor bridge structure will most likely be structurally similar to the concrete bridge spanning Disneyland Dr for DTD. These structures usually take 18 to 24 months and do not need to have long closers for an active road underneath. Maybe some overnight closings to install and remove falsework, but closures could be reduced to only overnight closures. I doubt any midspan supports are needed, which will help the timeline process and reduce the need for any large alterations to Harbor below. I would take a blind guess of an 18 month timeframe of construction. This project would need to be in conjunction with the city's planners, engineers and design, which can take some time, but I'd hope these plans are already completed, hopefully. My guess it would probably take the same timeframe of the parking structure and the bridge structure spanning the parking structure to the intersection of Magic Way and S Anaheim Blvd.

All speculation on my part.
You're talking about the Pixar Pals parking structure and pedestrian bridge in your last sentence, which is what I was talking about also. So you agree with my assessment that it'll be ~18 months for construction of the Pumbaa structure and Harbor bridge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom