News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Expanding on my second question in my last post - the 3rd Avatar film is scheduled to arrive in Dec. 2025 and Avatar 4 is scheduled for Dec. 2029. The announcement today stated that this new land is based on Avatar: The Way of Water and "upcoming Avatar films," and one would guess this land will open sometime between those release dates. Could be any second ride they could be planning ties into movies 3&4.
Wishful thinking, but if they break ground soon and put the pedal to the metal with construction, hopefully they can get this open by 2028-2029.

MoonRakerSCM

With Disney's Eastern Gateway image georeferenced. The monorail is red line, the yellow outlined area is 7.4 acres. Certainly doable with keeping things tight in the backlot. The eastern edge is just to the left of the underground tunnel that connects the two parks. I assume they wouldn't mess with that. I'd argue that if there is an entrance in line with Sunset Blvd., there's room for an attraction in the NE corner as well as the SW corner (which in the 'concept image' has a lot of more than perimeter nonsense but just random rockwork in it). My thought is that a restaurant at the SE corner next to Hyperion is the tin roofed buildings (this is what Satuli Canteen is). Rockwork on the north perimeter over along the pedestrian connected would have to be high enough to hide Space Mtn AND the Matterhorn which are both in that direction. Though there are ways to bend pathways and vantage points to hide those.

1723360825079.png

I think this image reveals that whatever direction this photo is facing, the curvey rockwork and entire right half of the photo is raised hiding a showbuilding for the interior portion of the ride-

1723361734784.png

captveg

I wonder if they might do a 'Hollywood Magic portal'.... sort of what Star Wars Land is... but making it some sort of entering the actual world of the movie from Hollywood...
It's the only thing I can think of that makes sense while trying to keep the theming of the Hollywood Backlot for Philharmagic/Animation/Hyperion/Trolley.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I wonder if they might do a 'Hollywood Magic portal'.... sort of what Star Wars Land is... but making it some sort of entering the actual world of the movie from Hollywood...
This is the only way this land could fit into DCA, honestly would be a clever solution to make it fit the CA theme.

The hardest thing with that location may be sightlines, this looks like a substantial land so it’ll be hard to keep it hidden from DL and the rest of DCA, it’s also fairly close to Guardians so they’ll have to hide that from being visible inside the land also. I think it could work though.

etc98

I think you're right with the Star Wars Land comparison. It'll probably be pretty similar to the tunnel to the land from Grand Avenue in Hollywood Studios I would imagine

mlayton144

Is it confirmed that this is going in the backlot/transportation area? That artist impression looks a heck of alot bigger than 7 acres if you need to include ride systems, a transition area into the land let alone a restaurant or retail area. My guess is that the artist is taking a few liberties here LOL, unless this going somewhere else?

gerarar

Premium Member
So is this going into the rumored Hollywood Land at DCA? And expanding into the bus loop.

Wonder if this means the final end for The Hyperion, which would be really sad. But kind of makes sense since there's been no activity there since Rogers ended its short run last year..

But overall, DLR severely lacks in any kind of stage shows. Nowhere to just sit and relax and enjoy a production..

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Is it confirmed that this is going in the backlot/transportation area? That artist impression looks a heck of alot bigger than 7 acres if you need to include ride systems, a transition area into the land let alone a restaurant or retail area. My guess is that the artist is taking a few liberties here LOL, unless this going somewhere else?
Me and some Disney YouTubers are hoping this goes in the Simba lot where the land can fully breath and be fleshed out.

MoonRakerSCM

My thought is still if it were intended to bridge over to Simba, they would've mentioned something of it... 'the first step of Disneyland forward is Avatarland' etc...

But, who knows! Could be! Being behind Hyperion and in the backlot would be tight and 'it COULD work', but that'd be it for the land, no expansion ever. Simba on the other hand would allow it to be a bit bigger (but consider, Anaheim is extremely land locked, so anything built is built with maximizing space in mind. I think regardless of where this land is, it's going to feel like a rock surrounded bowl with a pond in the middle of it.

MoonRakerSCM

Ok... erm... um... OK... SO... Per this article here from last year-

James Cameron sold his Gaviota ranch... which "Cameron, 68, had written the blockbuster movie, “Avatar,” at the ranch. He used an ocean-facing room upstairs in the house as inspiration."

There, see, per the last sentence of the plaque- "This unique place embraces the richness and diversity of California... its land, its people, its stories and, above all, the dreamers it continues to inspire.

So Avatarland is Gaviota. Maybe the main house and pool were inspiration for the land design...

1723396791244.png

See, its got rocks... a pond... and nice palmy vegetation.

DrAlice

I liked that she used the word "intense" to describe the ride experience. Hopefully that means this will be more than the Navi River Journey thing on the East Coast.

EDIT: Sorry for vagueness. "she" = Ali Rubenstein at the parks panel last night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom