Avatar construction aerial updates

mergatroid

this is really getting me hyped. Already looks amazing, can't imagine how great it will be with water effects, lighting, and live entertainment!

I think many who trashed the idea of this land and said it would be done cheaply may well be made to look a bit silly. I hate the Harry Potter films and yet can appreciate what Universal has done as it's done so very well, it transcends just something that fans like and becomes something the masses can enjoy. I believe Avatarland will be very similar with breathtaking visuals that require no previous experience of the film in order to enjoy and be amazed by them. Those who have seen and enjoyed the movie may get an extra buzz by identifying with details others don't, but I believe on the whole that it will make little difference whether you've seen the film or not.

Each time I see picture updates, I'm pleased as to how much detail Disney are putting into this land and the sheer scale of it. Let's hope the attractions themselves live up to our expectations for what appears to be a very good addition to WDW :cool:

brihow

I think many who trashed the idea of this land and said it would be done cheaply may well be made to look a bit silly. I hate the Harry Potter films and yet can appreciate what Universal has done as it's done so very well, it transcends just something that fans like and becomes something the masses can enjoy. I believe Avatarland will be very similar with breathtaking visuals that require no previous experience of the film in order to enjoy and be amazed by them. Those who have seen and enjoyed the movie may get an extra buzz by identifying with details others don't, but I believe on the whole that it will make little difference whether you've seen the film or not.

Each time I see picture updates, I'm pleased as to how much detail Disney are putting into this land and the sheer scale of it. Let's hope the attractions themselves live up to our expectations for what appears to be a very good addition to WDW :cool:

Agree 100%. I don't think liking the movie has anything to do with one's enjoyment of this land. I think you only need an appreciation of fantasy and incredible park theming.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The land is definitely good to look amazing, the big question for me is, will they knock it out of the park with the rides.

BrianLo

Here's Shanghai and Carsland in August 2015 and August 2011 respectively, with their June openings the following year.

2B2DD9CC00000578-3188963-image-a-96_1438955924056.jpg

CarsLand1-082411-AVP.jpeg

CarsLand3-081111-AVP.jpg

I still think Pandora looks ahead. Not early March ahead... but definitely on track for June at the latest. Maybe still a push for Earth day. Shanghai looks like a disaster, they really shifted into high gear in the 11th hour.

Last edited:

twebber55

Here's Shanghai and Carsland in August 2015 and August 2011 respectively, with their June openings the following year.

2B2DD9CC00000578-3188963-image-a-96_1438955924056.jpg

CarsLand1-082411-AVP.jpeg

I still think Pandora looks ahead. Not early March ahead... but definitely on track for June at the latest. Maybe still a push for Earth day. Shanghai looks like a disaster, they really shifted into high gear in the 11th hour.
cars land pic didnt show up for me, but wow what an eye opener for where shanghai was

Cesar R M

What I'm noticing? The square camouflaged "plug" they installed in the opening for this one mountain's access hatch.

IMG_20160812_123412-01_zpszzilm0zj.jpeg

Presumably they will do the same for the others, eventually. I'd be interested to find out whether it can be popped open from inside, or if it requires a crane and thus is only designed to be used during major refurb work...

-Rob
I actually wonder, some of these mountains are supposedly to drop waterfalls. are these maintenance entrances OR the water exit?>

Siren

What I'm noticing? The square camouflaged "plug" they installed in the opening for this one mountain's access hatch.

IMG_20160812_123412-01_zpszzilm0zj.jpeg

Presumably they will do the same for the others, eventually. I'd be interested to find out whether it can be popped open from inside, or if it requires a crane and thus is only designed to be used during major refurb work...

-Rob
OMG! Avatarland is looking so spectacular! Disney seriously needs to add an observation tower to Avatarland because the aerial view is just breathtakingly beautiful! I would totally love to see all of this from above.

JohnWD

OMG! Avatarland is looking so spectacular! Disney seriously needs to add an observation tower to Avatarland because the aerial view is just breathtakingly beautiful! I would totally love to see all of this from above.
I am hoping we will - on Flight of Passage! Of course it won't be real, but I hope some of the scenes on the ride will match up to what we see in the land.

subvelocity

Great pictures. It's great to see the different paths take shape. There are a lot of things that have me saying "what the heck is that??" (In a good way)

I've been wondering this a lot myself. Since are talking about AK, I haven't seen anything anywhere about actual ANIMALS in the area. I can possibly spot some areas that could be enclosures for smaller animals, but have there been plans to include any? Maybe animals that were an inspiration to the filmmakers? Or possibly puppets/animatronic like the Raptor or old Triceratops encounter from IOA.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've been wondering this a lot myself. Since are talking about AK, I haven't seen anything anywhere about actual ANIMALS in the area. I can possibly spot some areas that could be enclosures for smaller animals, but have there been plans to include any? Maybe animals that were an inspiration to the filmmakers? Or possibly puppets/animatronic like the Raptor or old Triceratops encounter from IOA.
There could be some AA animals on the boat ride and of course the flying dragon things on the E-ticket. I don't think they will have any live animals in this section of the park but you never know.

WildcatDen

Some have said earth day is the target so there's still some hope I guess.
I suppose portions of the land 'could' be open by Earth Day, but from what I have heard, the entire land will not be ready until closer to a year or more from now. I am led to believe this will miss the Summer crowds but will be open in time for the Holidays. . . I hope the information is wrong as I would love to see and experience all this land has to offer in May.

UpAllNight

I suppose portions of the land 'could' be open by Earth Day, but from what I have heard, the entire land will not be ready until closer to a year or more from now. I am led to believe this will miss the Summer crowds but will be open in time for the Holidays. . . I hope the information is wrong as I would love to see and experience all this land has to offer in May.

I'm also going in May so I'm holding out hope that some of the estimates are being very conservative after the fiasco this summer.

JohnWD

Where do you get this information? The "insiders" here just say the schedule is aiming for April 2017.

WildcatDen

Where do you get this information? The "insiders" here just say the schedule is aiming for April 2017.
I know what it is aiming for and I truly hope my 'source' is wrong, but the information received from Serpico to date has been fairly accurate. Some of it vague (OK a lot of it) but it allows me to deduce some level of accuracy that has been supported by our insiders. I will say that the information provided on TSL paints a brighter picture than the insiders have provided but the level of improvement for Woody and Co is maybe too fluid to nail down? As for Pandora, we are hoping to plan a trip for mid to late May and I have been told to be prepared to be disappointed if I had assumed the whole of Pandora would be open and functioning. Those planning trips in the Fall of 2017 have a much higher chance of experiencing all Pandora will have to offer. Let's see what they say at the D23 event. . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom