unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I missed the part in the press release where they said rafts.
And the place where they said local bands?
And that they'd "throw in a couple water screen rafts"?

Can you show me the quotes?
sarcasm is lost on you

The quote I was referring to as underwhelming:

"a new nighttime spectacular where live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery"​

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Don't work at Disney, basing this all on Cameron's reputation in the film world since the 80's. Cameron wouldn't release the picture of the model until he was 100 percent on board....what you see is what the area is going to look like.
The paintings are just an artist interpretation of how the audience is to feel at the park while touring avatar land.
The model you see is what it's going to be. Cameron is a stickler to detail and avatar is his baby. This is the final concept.

I agree that the model is a lot more telling than the art. Disney concept art has been a lot more abstract lately. I like your concept that the art is more about a feeling or mood than actual blueprints for what gets built.

Sometimes I think Disney likes to screw with us with the art. They know people will scrutinize every detail so they throw in some obscure stuff just to keep us off guard. There were literally pages of debate over whether the mine train will actually have a bridge made from a log because it was in the concept art.

Atomicmickey

sarcasm is lost on you

Sarcasm often gets lost in the internetz tubez. Someone once proposed a
sarcasm FONT because it gets lost so easlily in typewritten communication.

If you were just being sarcastic, no harm, no foul.

I think it's interesting how people see this art and instantly fill in all
the blanks as though they just walked out of WDI with blueprints.
"It's going to be this, it's not going to be that".

As far as I'm concerned, based upon what our insiders have said,
the coaster is still in play, but might not be greenlit.

And the concept art for the night show doesn't, um, show where it
will be located and how it will be presented.

unkadug

Can you show me how the model fits onto that land? And that there
is no more room for a coaster (one that we know has been part of the design
process all along)?
What design process COASTER are you talking about? Nothing but fanboi wishes has ever been announced about a coaster at Avatar.

lazyboy97o

I agree that the model is a lot more telling than the art. Disney concept art has been a lot more abstract lately. I like your concept that the art is more about a feeling or mood than actual blueprints for what gets built.

Sometimes I think Disney likes to screw with us with the art. They know people will scrutinize every detail so they throw in some obscure stuff just to keep us off guard. There were literally pages of debate over whether the mine train will actually have a bridge made from a log because it was in the concept art.
I think it has more to do with Disney's indecisiveness. Better to show early art than something more recent.

unkadug

Avatar-Blueprints-1.jpg Avatar-Blueprints-2.jpg Avatar-Blueprints-3.jpg

I thought these should be brought up again..These were leaked a year ago.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This boat ride sounds like splash mountain, but built correctly decades later and with cutting-edge technology.

That would be fantastic. Not sure how you got there with just 1 concept art picture, but I sure hope you are right. I was thinking more like jungle cruise or Living with the Land with animatronic creatures from the movies but something the scope of Splash would be even better. Someone said a while back that the next movie will feature some underwater scenes so I would expect more creatures to choose from.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it has more to do with Disney's indecisiveness. Better to show early art than something more recent.

Probably right. If they release more specific art and then change it there is outcry from the fan community. Many people wrote off mine train already since it was allegedly scaled down from a version in some leaked plans. I'm not sure they really care that much about the hard core fans, but I'm sure they don't want negative buzz.

Atomicmickey

What design process COASTER are you talking about? Nothing but fanboi wishes has ever been announced about a coaster at Avatar.

Hey, you could be right. I'm pretty sure, though, that at one time or
another more than one of our insiders has mentioned this.
@Lee, @marni1971, @WDW1974 , etc. Maybe even @whylightbulb or @Tim_4 . . .
and more?

I'm just going by them. And I could be wrong. Are they fanboi wishers?

In any event, I can neither confirm nor deny these things . . . .
and if folks say it ain't so, well, so it goes . . .

themoose

That would be fantastic. Not sure how you got there with just 1 concept art picture, but I sure hope you are right. I was thinking more like jungle cruise or Living with the Land with animatronic creatures from the movies but something the scope of Splash would be even better. Someone said a while back that the next movie will feature some underwater scenes so I would expect more creatures to choose from.

The combination of indoor/outdoor sections and a giant rock. People were talking earlier in this thread about the simulator ride being in the rock, but it doesn't make much sense for them to do that. Obviously this is all speculation.

The Empress Lilly

With Cameron on board....I promise you this will be the final look. Pay more attention to this model. It's the final version...and it matches the leaked plans. The soarin ride is in the mountain and underneath the soarin ride, the boat ride will take place. Still not sure if the boat ride is all inside or just half.

Nighttime show is huge and will be a show stopper....it will fill the park at night.
One addendum if I may...

The MyMagicSoarin+ ride is not going to be in the mountain, but in the back of the land. The mountain itself floats above the pathway, held up on three sides by vegetation.

The Rock of Life is basically an inverted Tree of Life, that is the trunk at the top, and the sprawling branches at the bottom. Think an inverted oil platform structure.

It must've been Cameron. What Cameron did, was walk up to the middle of the DAK model, rip out the Tree of Life, and put it upside down in the middle of AVLand. Like the egg of Columbus, he had solved the problem of how to implement the floating rocks and give AVLand its icon, all in one fell swoop, somewhere in between aggressive madness and unmitigated brilliance.

RSoxNo1

Look at the section of the model by Joe Rohde's fist, it's a water feature of some sort, but is that a walking path or perhaps a smaller attraction?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom