IAmFloridaBorn

Normally I would agree with you, but at the same time I understand where Disney is coming from. With one film under its belt the Avatar franchise is the 7th most successful movie franchise. That says a lot. Yes its good faith that the other films will do great but their odds look good.
See that's what makes me iffy. I'm all for it, I just don't want Disney to take shortcuts like they would have with WWOHP. I don't want Cameron to say "You know what Disney, I'm out". I want Disney to take their time and work with him to make these four years of construction worth it in the end for all theme park fans.

Voxel

President of Progress City
If it was anyone other then James Cameron I would agree with you, but I can only think of one instance to where he sold out and that was Abyss (where the directors cut makes much much more sense then the theatre release). Cameron doesn't half things or leave them incomplete. Heck even his deep sea dives found new underwater species.

Captain Chaos

I'm thinking Universal could do Avatar better than Disney but there must be as reason he wen't with Disney over Universal. I think dedicating an entire land to the Avatar film is a huge mistake on any theme parks part in any case though.

If you believe insiders, Universal had first choice and passed. If that is true or not, I don't know.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
You're comparing apples and oranges... but I guess you missed all the Spongebob stuff? :)

Disney consumer products in bigbox retail is a different world than talking about extracting revenue from guests while in the park.

Yes but I know that I buy less stuff when I make my annual trip to the park now than when Disney stuff could not be purchased in so many other ways. An example of this is until I could buy park stuff on line I would purchase a lot of Disney Christmas stuff in the parks every year; now I purchase this on line so I do not have to carry it home.

So Disney may make less in the Parks but they are still getting my money.

CDavid

If it was anyone other then James Cameron I would agree with you, but I can only think of one instance to where he sold out and that was Abyss (where the directors cut makes much much more sense then the theatre release). Cameron doesn't half things or leave them incomplete. Heck even his deep sea dives found new underwater species.

I've mentioned this before, but there is the question of just how much control Cameron has over Avatarland. The coaster already went away, apparently at Disney's call, in favor of Star Wars. If Disney decides to cut the budget - as is typical - how much weight are his objections going to hold? Can't see James Cameron having literal veto' power, especially after that level of control was one of the very things which helped kill any deal with J K Rowling.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
See that's what makes me iffy. I'm all for it, I just don't want Disney to take shortcuts like they would have with WWOHP. I don't want Cameron to say "You know what Disney, I'm out". I want Disney to take their time and work with him to make these four years of construction worth it in the end for all theme park fans.

Disney might even have taken a short cut like taking an existing roller coaster, changed it a little and make it part of the all new Harry Potter area; or wait Universal did that. What makes you think if Disney would have done Harry Potter they would have taken shortcuts!

rioriz

I've mentioned this before, but there is the question of just how much control Cameron has over Avatarland. The coaster already went away, apparently at Disney's call, in favor of Star Wars. If Disney decides to cut the budget - as is typical - how much weight are his objections going to hold? Can't see James Cameron having literal veto' power, especially after that level of control was one of the very things which helped kill any deal with J K Rowling.

I wouldn't say the coaster is done yet....Martin hinted there is another E on the table that could be added.

awoogala

Yes but I know that I buy less stuff when I make my annual trip to the park now than when Disney stuff could not be purchased in so many other ways. An example of this is until I could buy park stuff on line I would purchase a lot of Disney Christmas stuff in the parks every year; now I purchase this on line so I do not have to carry it home.

So Disney may make less in the Parks but they are still getting my money.

seriously. I adore Haunted Mansion. Heard new, limited edition Hm stuff was at Disney store...must have logged in and looked at it 20 times. None of it was good merchandise. nothing that unique, nothing WOW!. I wanted to spend, went there to spend, and found nothing worthwhile to spend on. I could chalk it up to not being their "target market", but I am a lifer, I LOVE HM, and still...meh.

WDWDad13

I'm thinking Universal could do Avatar better than Disney but there must be as reason he wen't with Disney over Universal. I think dedicating an entire land to the Avatar film is a huge mistake on any theme parks part in any case though.

Anyway think about this, 2017 opening right? Buy that time, an 8 year old who may be interested in it now, will probably have outgrown the Avatar brand (if we can even call it such). I highly doubt Avatar catches enough people to make it a timeless franchise. Which is why dedicating an entire land may not be the best idea. IDK what TDO is thinking.

Of course because everything universal does is superior and everything Disney does is bad right? *sigh*

I'm not interested in avatar, never seen the movie and have no interest to, plus I thought this was a bad idea from the start...however with the concept art I have changed my mind and think this could be the most wow land of a theme park in the world if done correctly

Looking at the concept art alone animal kingdom is by far the best park for this with all the greenery, water, etc

IAmFloridaBorn

Disney might even have taken a short cut like taking an existing roller coaster, changed it a little and make it part of the all new Harry Potter area; or wait Universal did that. What makes you think if Disney would have done Harry Potter they would have taken shortcuts!
By shortcuts I mean, letting the creators of these Franchises, (Which aren't Disney owned in any way shape or form) have a say in what they'd like to see come to fruition, after all it is their imagination correct? ALL I'm saying is if Disney would take a step back when an outside Franchise wan'ts to come in, they'd reap benefits simply because they're Disney, they don't always have to be money hungry having projects done their way. Just my opinion though.

ctxak98

Anyway think about this, 2017 opening right? Buy that time, an 8 year old who may be interested in it now, will probably have outgrown the Avatar brand (if we can even call it such). I highly doubt Avatar catches enough people to make it a timeless franchise. Which is why dedicating an entire land may not be the best idea. IDK what TDO is thinking.
I hate the UNI vs. Disneys arguments but here I have to disagree. Disney can do an amazing job when it comes to having the funds/motivation to do so!

Lands also don't need a franchise to be popular, They just have to look good and make people want to come back! Which is what Pandora is hopefully going to do!

IAmFloridaBorn

I hate the UNI vs. Disneys arguments but here I have to disagree. Disney can do an amazing job when it comes to having the funds/motivation to do so!

Lands also don't need a franchise to be popular, They just have to look good and make people want to come back! Which is what Pandora is hopefully going to do!
Dismissing the fact that Disney wants control could hurt them, is expected I suppose. I rest my case. 2017 shall see Disney's controlling ways come to light.

Disneyhead'71

To be fair, the EXACT same thing applies to those stupid restrooms. It is brought up 10X more often to lace an argument then it was/is praised by the looney Disney nuts. Let Simpsons be a nice food court and Tangled be a nice toilet, neither needs to be incessantly praised or dragged through the mud more than they already are!

I swear, the people who have the most vitriol for the Tangled toilets are the ones who bring it up the most incessantly.
So at least you caught my sarcasm. They are amazingly themed restrooms and what people have been screaming for and yet they ***** that it's just a restroom. Well no, it is a restroom in a Disney castle park. Do you guys want over the top or not? Bust on the Kardashian content (fair enough) but where they go all Disney on us we need to say "Wow, that's what Disneys do best!".
And Springfield is more well done than expected for the scope of the project (rethemeing of a food court). Adding a spinner to the place making project is a little over the top, so well done UniCreative! 2 birds with one stone. Yeah! I'm not sure people read me right. I am one sarcastic SOB. But I think I am at least an equal oppertunity offender. If it seems that I am praising Uni more than Disney, MAYBE it is because Uni has been more deserving of praise. Or maybe just Disney less.
I am not one to parse words on my opinions. And being a hillbilly, PC and sensitive aren't my strong suits . If you are looking for coddling and group therapy I may not be your best option. I may be liberal, but the last time I was huggin' a tree I was trying not to fall out of the Deer Stand.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom