doctornick

I would say taped earlier,still Avatars two top dogs don't know major part of Pandora has been cancelled yet blogger dude from mice chat does? doesn't add up to me..i know plans are fluid but that seems extreme

Well, I guess the point is that it's possible that something has changed from when Cameron and Landau made their comments (Cameron's were specifically in mid April IIRC). Personally, I'm skeptical about the boat ride being cancelled at this point -- maybe it's being negotiated, I don't know. I do think that given how long it took to come up with a final agreement between the sides that Cameron isn't going to allow major aspects of the development just be cancelled without being directly involved.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Adding into @doctornick comments, everything we have seen and heard has the two rides and show buildings intrinsically intertwined. If it were left out it sounds like an obvious glaring hole in the design would be noticeable to all.
There was a theory the flume could be left empty and used as a walk through, with ride system added later if wanted.

NOT a rumour. Just a statement.

NoChesterHester

There was a theory the flume could be left empty and used as a walk through, with ride system added later if wanted.

NOT a rumour. Just a statement.

Ah. Still disappointing if true.

I'm tired of being disappointed. Especially since I have had such an awesome trip this week to WDW.

twebber55

this land needs a people eater like a flume ride, im sticking with its still happening based on what Cameron and Landau have said maybe im being naïve

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ah. Still disappointing if true.
Indeed. But it's only something discussed as far as I know. As was an option of leaving any space built during phase one empty and accessible for future use. Remember Rhine Rivers load and unload building was built in 1982 since it was part of the bigger pavilion.

But again, I can't confirm either way.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm hearing from more reliable sources there may be some truth to this afterall.

Let me add a disclaimer that this is as of today, at this time, and is not confirmed in writing.

flyerjab

If the boat ride is canceled (and man am I hoping this is NOT true), I may need to stop coming to these threads. Is it wrong to decide to enjoy WDW based upon ignorance to what could have been?

Damn! I hate that this has to even be talked about as a possibility! I am still a newbie at WDW compared to some of the people in these threads and I trend way more towards the positives of what WDW has to offer. But knowing what is proposed early on and then seeing what gets trimmed out is soooo disappointing. I am almost at a point where I would rather not know some of these things.

flyerjab

I continue to rant, but it wouldn't surprise me in this day and age if the boat ride is engineered out.

Even the spire on WTC1 was value engineered down from some of the earlier art work. That to me was something that should have remained as originally planned.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This was posted in another thread, but relevant here too. Makes the rumor less believable IMHO. If it's true it looks like as of yesterday Cameron still hasn't been told about the boat ride being cut.
http://www.slashfilm.com/pandora-the-land-of-avatar-name/

Did we know the name was Pandora: the land of Avatar?

Interesting that Cameron agrees with us that you can't call it a land with just 1 ride.
"it’s not a park, it’s a land within the park but a land is not just a ride. There will be several rides and a number of other attractions. It’s really just a place you’re gonna wanna go and hang out. It’s gonna be gorgeous. Of course it’s gonna be gorgeous at night and they’re using every new trick, every new bit of technology that they’ve created."

Another interesting point on AAs:
"The animatronics for the Na’vi characters are gonna be fantastic. For example, their early animatronics would use 12 axis of motion and I think the most they’ve ever done was 32 axis recently. I think they’re up to 64 just in the face of the Na’vi characters. So it’s gonna be remarkable. They really see it as a major, major attraction."

If the E ticket is a clone of Soarin and the boat ride was cancelled what would they do with these AAs?

NoChesterHester

This was posted in another thread, but relevant here too. Makes the rumor less believable IMHO. If it's true it looks like as of yesterday Cameron still hasn't been told about the boat ride being cut.
http://www.slashfilm.com/pandora-the-land-of-avatar-name/

Did we know the name was Pandora: the land of Avatar?

Interesting that Cameron agrees with us that you can't call it a land with just 1 ride.
"it’s not a park, it’s a land within the park but a land is not just a ride. There will be several rides and a number of other attractions. It’s really just a place you’re gonna wanna go and hang out. It’s gonna be gorgeous. Of course it’s gonna be gorgeous at night and they’re using every new trick, every new bit of technology that they’ve created."

"The animatronics for the Na’vi characters are gonna be fantastic. For example, their early animatronics would use 12 axis of motion and I think the most they’ve ever done was 32 axis recently. I think they’re up to 64 just in the face of the Na’vi characters. So it’s gonna be remarkable. They really see it as a major, major attraction."

If the E ticket is a clone of Soarin and the boat ride was cancelled what would they do with these AAs?

Screw Obi Wan, Cameron is our only hope.

doctornick

Yeah, here's the thing. Maybe the boat ride is cancelled/postponed or will be. I dunno. But I firmly believe that Cameron won't let the land be undeveloped or a disappointment. He looks to be involved and he certainly has high expectations.

My guess is that is the boat ride is pulled out, it's only because Disney has come up with something as an alternative to replace it that still meets Cameron's satisfaction. I think that he specifically mentioned "several rides" indicates that it is something that is not trivial to him and he's engaged enough with the details that there will be more than 1 ride.

And I totally agree with the point about the AAs. If the "Soarin'-ish" ride is film based than the AAs wouldn't make sense for that. Sure, they could be for a walk through attraction, but the boat ride -- or some replacement -- would make sense. And if they are going to the trouble of making state of the art AAs for it, it will surely be more than some throw away use.

We'll see once some actual details come out.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom